I'm looking for a new bridge pickup (humbucker) for an all mahogany guitar with a rosewood fretboard.

I'm looking for something that's somewhat bright, high output but will not get muddy with alot of distortion or overdrive.

The guitar is set to drop tunings (mostly Drop-D) and I use it for metal, hardcore and other genres that typically use alot of distortion.

Any suggestions?

Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
EMGs come to mind, but if you're just replacing one pickup, that's probably not an option. I'd say a Dimarzio X2N would work well.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Duncan SH-6
BareKnuckle Nailbomb or Warpig
Not sure of too many
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl (Ned/chav) annoying me on the bus.

Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"

Her: Facial expression was priceless - "What??! Noo!"

Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."

She then turned away and whimpered.
Quote by mafropetee
EMGs come to mind, but if you're just replacing one pickup, that's probably not an option. I'd say a Dimarzio X2N would work well.

Why would I be unable to place a single EMG in the bridge pickup? I don't usually use both pickups together - I use either one or the other.

Quote by jburnett207
Seymour Duncan TB-4 JB

The JB4 is the pickup I'm replacing and it looses alot of clarity with even small amounts of gain/distortion.

Quote by webbtje
Amp?

Crate Palomino V16 - Class A tube combo, 15 watts
12ax7 preamp tubes
EL84 power tubes
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Last edited by Bazilisck311 at Apr 17, 2008,
It would be an unimaginable pain in the arse to wire up, basically. WHen you switch pickups, there'd likely be a volume change too.

I would only go with the X2N if that Crate really needs driving; otherwise, you don't need all that output. Maybe try a Dimarzio D Activator, as they're basically passives with an active sound and with more flexibility.
Quote by webbtje
It would be an unimaginable pain in the arse to wire up, basically. WHen you switch pickups, there'd likely be a volume change too.

I would only go with the X2N if that Crate really needs driving; otherwise, you don't need all that output. Maybe try a Dimarzio D Activator, as they're basically passives with an active sound and with more flexibility.

It needs help driving at lower volumns, not so much when you crank it up (which I unfortunately can't most of the time)

It's generally complacent with high output pickups because of it's overall mellow, mid heavy tone.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Quote by mafropetee
I'd say a Dimarzio X2N would work well.

Researched this and it looks good - can you recommend something similar but with a bit brighter winding (more treble) ?
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
bareknuckles all the way
specifically i'd suggest warpigs but pm tim
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by Wylde_Man
How about Dimarzio Drop Sonic (D-Sonic). it is made for drop tunings

No, it's made for low tunings. Not Drop D.

Quote by Bazilisck311
It needs help driving at lower volumns, not so much when you crank it up (which I unfortunately can't most of the time)

It's generally complacent with high output pickups because of it's overall mellow, mid heavy tone.

The X2N's pretty trebly...
Quote by webbtje
No, it's made for low tunings. Not Drop D.

Our first heavy humbucker of the 21st century, the D Sonic™ is a high-output bridge humbucker designed for the extended low end and heavy chords that dropped tuning delivers, with serious treble response for single-note solos and standard tuning.
If you feel your amp is too heavy on the mids, how about the Steve's Special (Dimarzio)? Not quite as high output as the X2N, but has a somewhat scooped sound, quite a lot of treble, and very articulate.
Quote by Wylde_Man
Our first heavy humbucker of the 21st century, the D Sonic™ is a high-output bridge humbucker designed for the extended low end and heavy chords that dropped tuning delivers, with serious treble response for single-note solos and standard tuning.

Considering that drop D only offers 2 additional power chords, I'd say that's a bit of a waste.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Wylde_Man

Read more of their bumph will you. A 2 semitone difference is not worth designing a pickup around. Petrucci plays these with bar towards the bridge when he's in C and B standard, not to mention the occasional A standard. I play them in open C half a step down (low B), and as such you can notice the extra punch which it provides. In Drop D? Nuh-uh.

So stop taking 'dropped tuning' so literally, it's designed for de-tuning unless you put the bar towards the neck.
Last edited by webbtje at Apr 17, 2008,
seymour duncan invader.

i strongly recommend it for you style in the bridge
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

Quote by spootz
seymour duncan invader.

i strongly recommend it for you style in the bridge

He wants bright, so you recommend bassy? Cheers mate.

had one in my les paul for a month or so. sounded really good to me. i just dont play that heavy and prefered the matching set of burstbucker pros. but i think that it was very clear and powerful for heavy stuff. not too good on the cleans however, i do agree there.
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

Quote by webbtje

The spec sheet on DiMarzio's webpage lists the treble as a 4 (DP222) - unfortunately, I've never heard an X2N's tone so it's hard to judge - I asked for a recommendation of a pickup wound with more treble purely as a safety net

EDIT: I was looking at the wrong pickup - The DiMarzio D Activator-X which the website says is an X2N, I did not see the X2N at the bottom of the list (which lists the treble as a 6)

Thanks for the recommendations guys - So far I'm interested in the DiMarzio D Activator bridge pickup, the Seymour Duncan SH-6 (Duncan Distortion) and the Barenuckles. Feel free to post more suggestions.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
After painful deliberation, I've decided on the DiMarzio D-Activator Bridge pickup (DP220). My reasons are its high output, active pickup emulation and from experience with DiMarzio pickups - which tend to have an edginess on the high end without sacrificing clarity.

I'll post a review of the pickup here when I've had a chance to mingle with it

Ibanez JEM 7VWH