Page 1 of 2
Hi,

so I'm in search of a new amp. I don't need more than 15Ws.

What do I like to play?

Well I play pretty much everything from classical music through blues to thrash metal. Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, Ozzy, Dire Straits, Metallica, BB King, AC/DC, Megadeth, Slayer, Pink Floyd etc.
So it has to be pretty versatile
Price range: I'm pretty unsure about this, anyways, I won't buy it in a few months, so I'll save up some money, but I'm not a millionaire (unfortunately ).

Thanks in advance: Chris
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Line6 Spider III 30W (For sale!)
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
We need a more specific budget than that
15 W tube or SS?
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Well, more expensive go for a Mark IV ~$1200, or cheaper a Valveking ~$400 or cheaper Cube 30x ~$230 or microcube ~$125
Well I prefer tubes, but I don't know if there are good SMALL tube combos. I need this only for home practice, so there's no use for more than 15 watts.

Okay, price range: try to keep it under 500$ please.
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
mesa 5:25 express(sp?)
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Orange TT and a boost pedal.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
Orange TT and a boost pedal.

Is tiny terror that versatile? Is that one tone knob "enough" to get all kind of tones? And what boost pedal would You recommend?

Thanks for the recommendations!
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
Tiny Terror

OH ****, whos the guy on here that endorses these things? I watched his youtube video demo on this amp, and its seems pretty F-in sweet!! I would definitely check the TT out!!
The tiny terror might be too expensive, because you not only need to buy the unit (the head), but you also need to buy a cab as well.

However, the sounds you can get out of that thing would suit your music very well.
Quote by foob85
Wearable capo? Maybe he means like clamping the capo to his penis and walking around?

Because that's not what I do with my capo.

OVER MY OBJECTIONS!
Quote by piecies_81
Tiny Terror

OH ****, whos the guy on here that endorses these things? I watched his youtube video demo on this amp, and its seems pretty F-in sweet!! I would definitely check the TT out!!

It costs 611 Euros, that's out of my price range I think. I can get a Peavey classic 30 for less :| (although it sucks for metal). Any cheaper recommendations?

Also, I don't know much about heads, can they be used alone, or do they need a cabinet?
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
Last edited by Zakk_Wylde_91 at Apr 18, 2008,
Quote by Zakk_Wylde_91
It costs 611 Euros, that's out of my price range I think. I can get a Peavey classic 30 for less :| (although it sucks for metal). Any cheaper recommendations?

Also, I don't know much about heads, can they be used alone, or do they need a cabinet?

The head has no speakers in it, so you need the cab.

Sorry, but I can't recommend a 15W tube amp that can play metal...
Closest thing would be a Valveking.

-Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by JaykeSucks
The head has no speakers in it, so you need the cab.

Sorry, but I can't recommend a 15W tube amp that can play metal...
Closest thing would be a Valveking.

-Jayke

And can You recommend a good SS one?
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
VOX AC15 would be a really great amp for the watts and price you want.Though I'm not certain of its metal capabilities.
Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye
And what about laney vc / lc 15?
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
A laney VC15 should be able to reach old school thrash metal with a boost pedal and an EQ. I'm not sure how ripped off on them you are in the US though
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Well if you don't want to invest in boost pedals and EQ's, try some Randalls or Peaveys. I've heard good things about the Peavey Bandit.

-Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult
Spend $600 and you can have a Krank Rev Jr and 1x12
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by halikus
Spend $600 and you can have a Krank Rev Jr and 1x12

I live in Hungary, it is 755euros here, but thx anyways.

I kinda like the bandit too, and it is VERY cheap compared to tube combos. Is the difference so big?
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
If you compare the Bandit and a higher class tube amp (say Laney GH50L, Peavey 5150, Marshall JCM800 etc) the sound quality will be very different.
Nothing sounds like a tube amp, except a tube amp.
BUT,
for solid state, the Bandit isn't bad. It can definitely get the job done, and it can do it much better than a Marshall MG or a Line 6 Spider, for example.

-Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult
Palomino V16. Class A Tube amp 15watts. It can beautifully handle the cleans for blues, and it can get pretty heavy. mind you it might not be thrash, but with a pedal it could easily handle it. it really seems to like pedals. My favorite 15 watt tube amp.
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

Quote by spootz
Palomino V16. Class A Tube amp 15watts. It can beautifully handle the cleans for blues, and it can get pretty heavy. mind you it might not be thrash, but with a pedal it could easily handle it. it really seems to like pedals. My favorite 15 watt tube amp.

I can't find it anywhere :| Could You please name a website?

Does the bandit have nice cleans?

And what about the valve king 1/212?

Sorry fo asking so much questions, but I don't want to **** this amp buying (too).
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
Last edited by Zakk_Wylde_91 at Apr 18, 2008,
they are discontinued but ebay still has a couple new. check it out before they are gone. i love this amp
GEAR:
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

Crate V18-112 is all tube but won't do metal without a good pedal. It is replacing the Palomino line.

Roland 30 watt cube is a very versatile SS amp.
Quote by spootz
they are discontinued but ebay still has a couple new. check it out before they are gone. i love this amp

There are only 2 left, but neither of them ships to Hungary - Thx anyways!

And what do You think about VOX AD series and Roland Cube series? (I'm starting to hate myself for asking so many questions)
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
Going back to the TT - there's a combo version coming out supposedly in the next few months. Something to bear in mind.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
dude dont worry about it. this sight wouldnt bee here if people didnt want others to ask questions. the vox ad series is excellent.

it is not a true tube amp, so that is why it is not the best, but it still has great tone, (tube pre-amp, but no power tubes). i actually have an ad30, and have had it for a few years. It has suited me well but recently i have gotten into tone and stuff and have upgraded to a true tube amp.

the vox has a bunch of preamps, to make it sound like other amps in the past and now, (tweed, blackface, marshall, ac30........) and it has an effects selector as well. You can use the effects and edit/modify them to a pretty good extent as well, and they sound pretty good.

i really like this amp, and it has a power attenuator so you can leave the master cranked and limit the power and still get a broken up tubeish sound.

overall it is good, and it is cheap, and it is available. it is an excellent practice amp and it is still not limited to practice.

let me know if you go this route and i can give you some of my settings.
GEAR:
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

-Matt

Sláinte

Quote by Zakk_Wylde_91
Is tiny terror that versatile? Is that one tone knob "enough" to get all kind of tones? And what boost pedal would You recommend?
Thanks for the recommendations!

I would say so - when I tried one it's very versatile.
Rob Chappers uses a MXR boost (trying to find out specifically what one at the moment ) and that pushes it into easily handling metal. It is pricey, but it's very nice.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Definitely check out the TT combo when it comes out.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
The TT is just out of my price range :| I've 4 amps "left":
Roland Cube
Vox ADVT
Peavey Valveking
Peavey Bandit

Which one would be the best? I'm open to new ideas, but please try to keep it under 500€ (thomann.de), thx.
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
For metal, if you can afford it, I'd definitely go the Valveking, and maybe with that a Bad Monkey OD (they're cheap, don't worry) or some sort of EQ pedal, if you want to go really brutal.
Otherwise, it can get old thrash metal without a boost.
They're nice amps, alot of people on these forums use them, because they're hard to beat for the price.

-Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult
Bump, still need more opinions
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
Valveking and Cube, if you're wanting a heavy sound, Vox AD15VT/AD30VT if you want a good crunchy sound that can do a bit of heavier stuff, with great cleans.
Valveking is the best out of all of them by a long shot, though.

-Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult
you should check out a line 6 flextone, I don't know what the availability is like over there though. You can get them for around $300 used and they are very good and very versatile.
Quote by JaykeSucks
Valveking and Cube, if you're wanting a heavy sound, Vox AD15VT/AD30VT if you want a good crunchy sound that can do a bit of heavier stuff, with great cleans.
Valveking is the best out of all of them by a long shot, though.

-Jayke

I've seen some pretty bad reviews about it, I guess I'm going to try it out soon. Is it that versatile?
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
Mmm...The Vox and the Cube are more versatile, but the Valveking sounds like a tube amp.
Tubes>Solid State.
Another option would be to look into Bugera amps. I hear they're quite good for the price.

So yea, try them out first hand.

-Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by JaykeSucks
Mmm...The Vox and the Cube are more versatile, but the Valveking sounds like a tube amp.
Tubes>Solid State.
Another option would be to look into Bugera amps. I hear they're quite good for the price.

So yea, try them out first hand.

-Jayke

Yeah, I prefer tube amps too, and for the effects I have a Zoom g2.1 (which is not that great, but I can get some decent effects out of it).

Thanks for the help, I'm definitely going to try them it out in few days!
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
Page 1 of 2