I have almost decided to buy a Peavey 6505 or 6505+, but I just wanna ask here first... Is there any other heads for the same price approx. that are known to be as "good" as 6505 (for thrash metal/heavy metal/death metal; I'm playing alot of Megadeth, Metallica, In Flames and Pantera). You know, like the Mesa Boogie is known by almost everyone to be the best, which ones are generally known to be best in the same price class as the 6505?

Thanks (I'm sorry, I know this subject is a bit too frequent on the forum, but I just have to ask)
Well, from what ive heard the 6505 is a one trick pony. If you know that thats the only tone you want then the 6505 is tried and true but if you'd like variety id suggest a carvin v3
Mesa Boogie is by no means the best. It's versatile maybe but not good for all kinds of metal.
Other alternatives in that pricerange are the Randall V2 or a Laney VH100R.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
I think the 6505+ would be a good choice.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
you could get something better second hand, just keep an eye out for good deals, never know what you could find
Quote by GeorgeWFletcher
Engl

Engl cost an absolute FORTUNE here in europe, especially in the UK

TS, the 6505+ is probably a pretty good option, its got a bit more versatility than the normal 6505 too
Top lel.
The 6505 will do all that you mentioned.
You may also want to check out the Bugera 6262 and the ENGL Thunder head, both of which cost less than the 6505. The ENGL Screamer is a little more I think, but it is another very nice amp.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
ENGL Screamer 50 watt head is very nice, but I highly recommend looking at the Laney GH50L, GH100L, or VH100R.
They're fantastic amps, and are hugely versatile.
If you got the money, I'd look into the VH100R. It's basically a GH100L with more channels.

-Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by the memory
^^^ wow
i saw 2 engl heads in a shop hear for about £1,300 or something

Fireballs? ENGL has many amp heads from $700 to more than $3000.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by JaykeSucks
I highly recommend looking at the Laney GH50L, GH100L,
They're fantastic amps, and are hugely versatile.

+1! I completely forgot about Laney GH's
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Quote by Ventor
Fireballs? ENGL has many amp heads from $700 to more than $3000.

can't remember what they were lol, could have been!
Top lel.
Engl Fireball ftw. They are brighter voiced than 6505s and should therefore work better with Metallica/Pantera/Megadeth. In Flames has always played with 5150s though, so...

ah. dunno
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by bjoern_swe
Engl Fireball ftw.

+1

They're supposed to have an awesome clean channel as well.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Ok, I think I'm going for a 6505, but what cab should I get? I don't wanna pay so much for a 6505 cab, so does it matter alot, or is it cool if I get one as big as the 6505 cab? I saw a cheap used Peavey Valveking cab. Will it work for me?

Thanks
I was in the same position and I went with the Fireball. It just suited my needs better.
For cheap cab I suggest this Framus 2x12. You wont get a better cab for 300€ in europe (new).

EDIT: Should be way better than a valveking cab.
GEAR:
Epiphone special II
Ibanez RG570
Yamaha C-40
Roland Cube 30
ENGL Fucking Fireball
Framus 2x12 W/V30's

T3H HAMMER
Ok, the only reason why I planned to buy a valveking cab is because of the brand, you know it looks better with both Peavey head and peavey cab.. but who cares if it makes it sound worse. Gonna check if that framus is in any of the music stores here.
Don't fall at the last hurdle and fall for looks over tone That's just as bad as buying a Marshall MG
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3
Don't fall at the last hurdle and fall for looks over tone That's just as bad as buying a Marshall MG

Lol! Yup.
Hehe, yeah you're right. The cheapest one on my local music store is CRATE G412ST. What do you think about that one? Or another cheap one (used): Laney TF412 and TF412a...

And I couldn't find any framus in the music shop at all.
Last edited by VikingMetalhead at May 22, 2008,
Quote by Chaosinborn
Well, from what ive heard the 6505 is a one trick pony. If you know that thats the only tone you want then the 6505 is tried and true but if you'd like variety id suggest a carvin v3

This is why you should play amps before thrashing on them. I play in a cover band with a 5150, and use just the clean channel. I can get everything I need, thanks.