Should I start some alternate picking now or should I wait untilll I get better?
Well, I don't think you will get better at it without practising.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
I think you should start now, because, if you dont, you will start getting used to playing without it and think you are getting better... This will lead you to put it off in the future because you would be able to play things with monodirectional picking that you can't with alternate, so you wont want to play alternate style... So, just start now and save yourself from having to relearn all the songs you would have learned with regular picking... It's not really that much harder to learn if you start it at the beginning, just try to keep it in mind whenever you play something and you will start finding it much harder to play the wrong way anyway...

In Conclusion

START NOW: ALTERNATE PICKING, always
just alternate pick everything you already play. it's a good way to get started
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
just alternate pick everything you already play. it's a good way to get started
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
you gotta start some time why not now??
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I beat my wife

Beating yea bi
Alright thanks then

Should I just do a down up pattern or just a up pattern when I practice on songs?

Are there any exercises available?
After I learn alternate picking, should I learn sweep picking or is that too far off?
alternate picking means alternating between an up and down stroke
you can practice scales using alternate picking
sweep picking is quite advanced definitely dont try that!!
but definitely start working on alternate picking now!
start yesterday, its an invaluable skill that actually I think makes it more fun to play. For me it allows more freedom to just play whatever string I want. But I'm not a master at it, so I still need to improve it.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Alternate picking is a very awkward habit to get used to. Learning new songs/riffs/solos is actually quite easy when you're learning alternate picking. Relearning what you already know is very hard, Atleast Imo.

Learn ASAP
I printed off a small UG lesson on Alternate picking exercises, but what scales should I use to practice them?

Im getting pretty good at a basic chromatic, should I use it then?
If I practiced alternate picking say about 1 hour a day, should I understand the basic concept in about a week?

Also would it be a good idea to practice something like D U U D U U D?

Thanks for the help btw
Understand it, yes. Be able to use it perfectly... absolutely not. You should from now on only use alternate picking when practicing. If you're into metal, that uses a lot of chord progressions and some slow palm muted riffs, down picking is going to sound better.

Alternate picking is good for solos and fast stuff.

Also, I wouldnt use alternate picking on scales. It's really useless, you don't gain anything from it. Try songs, you can get used to rhythms rather then playing a scale fast.
Alternate picking is DUDUDUDUD etc., very good for fast stuff. For metal with high speed triplets (I.E. Raining blood 3rd intro part), use alternate picking, or high speed sixteenth notes, (chorus riff in Metal Militia), do alternate picking as well. For slower metal rhythms, all downpicking is fine.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Start now...

I dont see how people have trouble with it...
When I first started playing I naturally did it without knowing it

Of course some things are meant to be downpicked.
I was lucky in that, without knowing anything about the guitar, alternate picking just seemed sensible, so I started that way. As said above, just get fired into it.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
When you say use it whenever I practice, do you mean on all the exercises and songs I learn? What if I can play the song fast enough with downpicking? Still use alternate?

For example, I just learned Smoke on the Water and Come As You Are, would alternate picking be nessasary to play correctly?
Anything that doesnt sound crappy alternate picked, should be alternate picked.
Quote by Travlembo
I think you should start now, because, if you dont, you will start getting used to playing without it and think you are getting better... This will lead you to put it off in the future because you would be able to play things with monodirectional picking that you can't with alternate, so you wont want to play alternate style... So, just start now and save yourself from having to relearn all the songs you would have learned with regular picking... It's not really that much harder to learn if you start it at the beginning, just try to keep it in mind whenever you play something and you will start finding it much harder to play the wrong way anyway...

In Conclusion

START NOW: ALTERNATE PICKING, always

+1 to this, this is exactly how I would've done it, only I started on classical (finger picking) and when never learned how to alternate finger pick, but I knew how good it was to be able to. So when I got my first electric, I immediately followed what Travlembo explained here.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
alt picking is a basic tech you should learn it now but to be honest i dont like alt picking only only use it when its absolutely needed but thats just me. learn it and decide how your going to use it based on prefrence
Personally I alternate pick just about everything unless its really slow.
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

It doesnt seem to me that alt picking something like smoke on the water makes a difference because it's kinda slow. Should I try it anyway?
Quote by nin3donian
It doesnt seem to me that alt picking something like smoke on the water makes a difference because it's kinda slow. Should I try it anyway?

Sorry had to go play it before i answered. I would just down pick it.
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

Start ASAP. It's something I neglected, and I'm paying for it later in life.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
Start ASAP. It's something I neglected, and I'm paying for it later in life.

Same here, I have always downpicked, never really attempted to learn alt. picking until now, I now realize how hard it is to change my style of playing/picking after 3 1/2 years of playing.

PS, if you play high-speed music like I do (Bullet for my Valentine, All That Remains, etc.), alt. picking is a must.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.