I just wanted to share this little story with you guys. I was surfing the net, and this is what I came across. Media Wise is this group of people who think they should tell everyone how to parent, and I read their "fact sheet", and this is the part the caught my eye.
(link to the so called "fact sheet" http://www.mediafamily.org/facts/facts_music.shtml)

"Heavy Metal Rock Music and Explicit Lyrics
Most heavy metal fans are not at-risk. However troubled, at-risk youth gravitate to heavy metal music, which correlates positively with casual sex, greater drug use, suicidal thoughts, drunk driving, conflict with parents and more school problems (Roberts & Christenson, 2001).
Alienation from mainstream school culture often precedes a teen's choice of heavy metal music (Roberts & Christenson, 2001).
The angry, depressive, violent lyrics of hard rock and heavy metal music may be a risk factor for suicide and violence for those adolescents who are already depressed and alienated, suicidal, have drug, alcohol and family problems or are alienated at school (Roberts & Christenson, 2001).
According to the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry the troublesome lyrics of some teen music:
Advocate and glamorize the abuse of drugs or alcohol
Present suicide as a "solution"
Display graphic violence
Dwell on the occult with Satanism and human sacrifice
Describe harmful sexual practices, incest, and a devaluing of women"

As you can imagine, I was a little perterbed...and this is what I wrote to them.

"I am writing this in response to your "fact sheet". The link is below.

http://www.mediafamily.org/facts/facts_music.shtml

You guys are unbelievable. First of all, I find it hilarious that "heavy metal" (which by the way is a term that hasn't been used since '84) is the only specific genre that you're targeting. What about hip hop? I belive that Soljah Boy recently released a song that contained the lyrics "superman dat hoe", which if you don't know the lingo, roughly translates to "ejaculate on a woman's back and stick a bedsheet to it." Yeah, you're right heavy metal is the real issue... Don't paint with such a broad brush. I myself am a guitarist/vocalist in a metal band, a Christian metal band mind you, and I don't believe I've ever written lyrics that are "angry, depressive," and "violent". Listing the whole of "heavy metal" as a target problem area is the most ludicrous, uneducated thing I've ever heard. Not all metal music is bad, just as not all hip hop, or any other genre for that matter, is bad. How about this for a fact sheet:

Pay attention to what you're kids are doing.

Get them away from the television set every once in a while and make them play outside for once.

If you're child is seven and wants to buy the new ICP album, maybe you should READ the parental advisory sticker, look up the lyrics, (I know this is a whole lot of trouble for you...) and think twice about that purchase.

Lastly, stop making your horrible parenting everyone else's issue, if you're coming to this website for advice, maybe you shouldn't have a child. Every human being in the world has the common sense to know what little johnny should and should not be hearing at his young age. Maybe YOU are the problem, parents. Start playing your part, and stop listening to Mediawise to tell you what should do with your kids."
"The music industry places explicit ads in magazines and TV shows popular with teenagers (MTV, UPN and BET shows in the afternoon and early evening)."

who the **** watches UPN
when the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace

Starsceam of the Decepticon Transformers G1 Club
PM irishmatt1992 To Join!
It sounds like you completely raped them with that letter!
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

Oh please. The fact is that they said that it only affects children who are already prone to those thoughts.
The stereotype didn't come from no-where.

As for your last comment, many people do require parenting advice, and I think that it's great that it's available to them.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by jonnyrotten45
"The music industry places explicit ads in magazines and TV shows popular with teenagers (MTV, UPN and BET shows in the afternoon and early evening)."

who the **** watches UPN

what the **** is UPN?
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Had you used proper grammar and didn't sound so silly I might be inclined to approve of your response.

But then I remembered I don't care, and if a parent is so dependant on others to raise their child they use the internet for guidelines, the kid was pretty much doomed from the start.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Oh... man, that letter was total ownage, haha. But i agree with you about the fact that they only targeted heavy metal lyrics. Lyrics from any genre can be stupid/retarded/disgusting or whatever you have a problem with.

However, i do think that some people need help in parenting but it shouldn't stop a parent from thinking for themselves and acting upon what they think is right rather than what some politically correct douche bags say.
Oh btw, this is like 7 ****ing years old
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Oh please. The fact is that they said that it only affects children who are already prone to those thoughts.
The stereotype didn't come from no-where.

As for your last comment, many people do require parenting advice, and I think that it's great that it's available to them.

Parenting advice is a great thing if its helpful. "Don't let your kids listen to heavy metal because all of it is bad" is neither helpful nor correct. Something like, "Read the explicit content stickers & look up the lyrics before you buy any cd for your little kid" would be much better, and I think thats what SAWZAW is saying.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
Quote by emr_steelmech
Parenting advice is a great thing if its helpful. "Don't let your kids listen to heavy metal because all of it is bad" is neither helpful nor correct. Something like, "Read the explicit content stickers & look up the lyrics before you buy any cd for your little kid" would be much better, and I think thats what SAWZAW is saying.

Thank you, that's exactly what I'm saying. Yes...I know it's old, but it's also still posted on their site, and they still use it as their "fact sheet", so it's still relevant. And there was a stereotype present in their "fact sheet", because they specifically targeted "heavy metal". If there had been respective sections for each genre, I wouldn't have cared, but the broad generalization about "heavy metal" was absurd. Beyond that issue, I have no beef with parenting advice. I have an issue with this "fact sheet" that had specific instructions for parents, almost as if they're puting together a model airplane. At that point, please, save us all the trouble and don't spread your seed.