i play a lot of rock/punk, and i constantly get a soreness in my arm when i am playing fast for a longer period. does anyone have a method to increase your picking stamina, or decrease the ammount of energy you use on picking?
if you keep playing past the point where it hurts, you'll probably develop the muscles in your arm, which will make it not hurt anymore. other than that, i would just say use your wrist more when picking, and work out your arm if you can.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
just keep practising

try learning songs all the way through, solos and all
then play em all the way through, and many in a row

and eventually, it'll feel fine

i also play alot of punk/rock
and when i started, my wrist wud hurt, especially in long palm muted verses of punk for example

but now its fine, i didnt do anything special, i just played
get fit.

buy a set of steel dumbells, and do 30 reps a day on both arms with a reasonable weight.

Do pushups and situps.

also, try adjusting your strap height, it could be that your strap is too low/high and your arms are getting tired from that.
you could be over-exerting yourself, try changing picking technique or dont play as hard?
Funny...I get emails every day with information on pills that promise more stamina. Something different here? :-p
Excellence Without Limitation
Quote by muse-ik
if you keep playing past the point where it hurts, you'll probably develop the muscles in your arm, which will make it not hurt anymore. other than that, i would just say use your wrist more when picking, and work out your arm if you can.

-You might injure yourself more than you would prefer...
You are currently reading my sig.

"Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah. Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah." - Robert Plant
^ +1 you'll end up hurting yourself in the end. best thing you can do is play with less tension.
there is this ball where it has a gyro inside it and its suppose to help with carpel tunnel or sumthin like that my friends call it the jack off ball coz when ur using it to work out you look like your jakin off but it builds up your forearm muscle as well as ur wrists so im pretty sure itll help
>Arms relaxed,, if you play guitar as if youre gonna lift a dumbbell, it'd surely hurt.
>play until it hurts. Then take a break. Then again play. And your stamina increases a little. U get what i mean?? The way u increase your push ups amount day by day. Its kinda same
Yes, working out will help with stamina - to an extent. Try to play with less tension and take those breaks when you need them of course. Pushing past the point of considerable pain is the slowest and worst way to build stamina. You're much better off working on your efficiency and technique during practice than burning out your arm. Lift weights if you feel you need the extra meat. Remember - muscle memory is the key to being efficient. Its like running track. You can lift weights to build your leg muscles, but the fastest runners are the ones who know HOW to run, not the ones with the biggest legs.