I'm messing with this on my Strat and I've finally come out with a combination I like. I have my bridge pickup as close as it can get without the strings touching it. The neck is a little lower than that. But not much, but the middle is almost flat with the pick guard. I get a searing tone out of my bridge, and a warm thick one out of the neck, and a bell like SRV tone out of my middle. The 2 and 4 positions are also really cool. More like humbuckers than parallel.

Has anyone tried doing stuff like this?
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I have my bridge pickup as close as it can get without the strings touching it

Are you sure that's not too close? It'll affect your sustain if it is.

I have my bridge pup quite close but not as close as that.
Yeah I had to account for the loss of sustain. I do lose a little bit. a TON is gone on the 2nd position. But I rarely use my bridge for distortion (weird I know).

The neck on the other hand gets CRAZY sustain.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Yes..... its called pickup balancing, you do it to achieve the best sound without getting a 'wobble' in tone as the magnets pull on the strings.
i put a new pickguard on my Fender MIJ Strat, and when i screw in the pickup screws the middle pickup always is raised WAY TOO HIGHT. the strings would be resting on it if i strung up the guitar. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Nangsta, surely you've tried screwing them in a bit tighter?

And yeah, you can get some interesting sounds by messing with pickup heights. A lot of people miss it out completely when setting up a guitar, even though it can make a huge difference. A small thing like screwing the pickup directly into the wood can make a difference in tone too, somthing I tried on my MIJ Tele.

Can't say I've ever overadjusted pickups intentionally, though I'm glad it's working for you!
Quote by nangsta
i put a new pickguard on my Fender MIJ Strat, and when i screw in the pickup screws the middle pickup always is raised WAY TOO HIGHT. the strings would be resting on it if i strung up the guitar. PLEASE HELP!!!!

did you forget the pickup screw springs under the guard?

red lines for the correct screws to turn.

and TS, i dont know man. that close usually sounds pretty muddy, but it's ur ears.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i know the springs are in there, but the screws are not too tight. in fact the screws are barely screwed in and the pickup is already in the way of the strings.
is the screw flush with the guard?

and when you turn it clockwise the pickup gets higher?
did you try tightening it more anyway?

either you are turning it the wrong way, or you put the springs or something in wrong under the guard.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

sorry, i misread, but yeah, the pickup is resting on the springs and as i screw in the pickup just gets higher and higher until it can't get any HIGHER!!!
I want a squier or something so i can experiment with this
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
ok and you got the other two pickups in correctly. so can you compare how you did that?

unscrew the screws. (make sure your pickup screws are long enough) so that you can decompress those springs, and lower the pup, when you turn the screw counter clock wise.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i don't know what i did, but now all my pickups are messed up. do you think it has something to do with the springs?
i have no idea.
maybe you put them in wrong. with the spring on the wrong side of the pup holder,
or you screwed them in wrong, turning the screw the wrong way until they popped out of place.

can you take a picture? the strings arent on yet, so take the guard off and look.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

yeah, i'm going to go and try and take some pictures of it before i have to go to bed
nvm, i don't have any batteries for my camera. will you be on tomorrow?
yeah im always on. il check back tomorrow.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

hey, i the file for the pictures are too big. any other way i can send 'em? the pics aren't too good, but that's just the camera
well, i cant be sure what you're looking at, without pics. because either the pups are in correctly or they arent.

le tme look for a pic and then post it.

and to add pics, you can sign up at photobucket, uploead there, and they will resize the pics for you. then you click the link they provide to add it in a post.

but let me see what i can find...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ok for example, here it goes... guard (white) then, rubber tube (tan) then pickup.

you have a spring not a tube, but it's the same thing. you need to feed the screw thru the spring then into the pickup.

if you tighten the screw, it will compress the spring and raise the pickup. that's it really.
if the spring has no bounce to it then use ruber tubing, new springs, or sponge instead.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Ah!!! I Just Figure It Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank You Soooo Muchh!!!!
haha ok cool.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I've messed with this a lot. Turns out I get the best sound with my pickups as close to the strings as I can, without getting some horrible noise.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal