I posted another thread about this recently, but all i got was metal-head's opinions, so i thought i'd try it one more time.

Okay... I've been debating on getting an ESP Eclipse II or a Gibson Les Paul Studio guitar for quite a while. I just need to know which guitar would be better for the style of music i play. I play mostly a lot of AFI, but a lot of punk/alternative/and an incy wincy bit of metal (like 2 or 3 metallica songs). Which i've been playing on my strat and it does good enough, so...
O O

___
Both would be suitable for the types on music but i think the ESP would be better quality. I believe there both priced around $1200 right? I dont like the feel of studios personally and something about no binding on throws me off. But i would try them both out , i like the think the neck on the esp is slimmer as well.
we must become the change we want to see.
Personally, i find the Gibson a bit too heavy. ESP is the way to go. And the Eclipse bodyshape = Les Paul.
Fler Ismaskiner!
Personally I can't stand Studios and alot of the people who do like them who I've spoken to find them to be very hit and miss. Never heard anything bad about Eclipses though and you can be guaranteed better value for money seeing as it doesn't say Gibson on the headstock.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
get the esp, like Ichimaru said the studios are hit and miss, ive seen good ones but ive seen some lemons.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Dont the studios have air pockets in the body too?(the technical name escapes me right now) And if i am correct, wont that cut down on the tone?

i would just go for the esp, but i am a bit biased against them. They are GREAT guitars though.If i was going to get a Gibson i would at least get one above the Standard series.
^chambers. And It might cut down on tone, but it also drastically reduces the weight (3 lb's or thereabouts)
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
ESP.

Gibson LP Studios are, quite simply, some of the worst guitars you can ever buy. Remember, when it comes to Gibson, if it doesn't at the least say 'Standard', don't buy it!

On the other hand, the only ESPs that are really a waste of money are the mid and low-end LTD range. High-end LTD or any actual ESPs are all great. Persoanlly, I do prefer Epiphone Elitists and Standard and above Gibsons to any ESP, but I've got some ESPs myself alongside my Gibsons and Epis, and they hold up well enough. Certainly I think if you can't wait to save up and get a Gibson Standard or Epi Elitist Plus, then the ESP is the next best thing.
Quote by bokuho
ESP.

Gibson LP Studios are, quite simply, some of the worst guitars you can ever buy. Remember, when it comes to Gibson, if it doesn't at the least say 'Standard', don't buy it!

"At least"? Is there a Gibson LP better than the Standard?
I'd go for the ESP, every LTD I've had has been of awesome quality and I think with lower end Gibsons you're just paying for the name. It actually still pisses me off that I had to pawn off my EX250 about 4 years ago
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by bokuho
ESP.

Gibson LP Studios are, quite simply, some of the worst guitars you can ever buy. Remember, when it comes to Gibson, if it doesn't at the least say 'Standard', don't buy it!....

I stopped listening to what you had to say right there, and i'd advise anyone else to do the same

TS, for the style of music you play definatly look into the ESPs. however, i'd consider getting the SD model instead of the EMGs
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Gibson, the Eclipse is only a 300 buck guitar (in value), get the gib.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Quote by shredhead22
TS, for the style of music you play definatly look into the ESPs. however, i'd consider getting the SD model instead of the EMGs

yeah, i had already planned that out, the EMGs are just too hot for me...

another thing i noticed, you've got an old Studio, what do you think of it?
O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Apr 17, 2008,
I have a current new studio (see sig.) and I will tell you straight up, if you take time, and find one that plays nice, it will be hands down the best guitar you've ever owned.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Quote by shredhead22
I stopped listening to what you had to say right there, and i'd advise anyone else to do the same

And you are well advised to do so too.

To the TS, go try them out and see how they feel and sound. The ESP is not a bad value for money guitar but the gibby is far superior.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
Quote by DSchmitty
Gibson, the Eclipse is only a 300 buck guitar (in value), get the gib.

Thats funny..

Last time I checked the list price for an Eclipse II is something more like this -
List Price: $1,899.00
the Eclipse II with duncans will **** on a studio any day
My Gear

-ESP Eclipse II Snow White
-Gibson Flying V (White with black hardware, EMG 81's, black diamondplate pickguard)
-LTD Truckster
-Peavey XXX head, Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Traditional Cab
Look at the ESP. It's built more solidly, has better hardware (locking tuners are terrific...Gibson in my experience and watching bands who had them, require frequent retuning, and the bridge is locking which helps sustain). Hell, it's a lot cheaper at the moment. Seymour Duncan's a great manufacturer of pups, and you could get the genuine Gibson ones if you MUST.

Another worthwhile guitar is the Carvin California Single. It's in the price range, and you can choose exactly what you want on it...even a Floyd Rose!
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
I was in the same position earlier this week. I couldnt decide between a LP or an ESP. Theres a thread around here about it.

I got the ESP Eclipse 2 yesterday. Theres also a thread about it here.

****EDIT****

Ah here we go:

Thread to decide

My decision

Choose wisely!!
Last edited by Axe Murderer at Apr 18, 2008,
I tried out a ESP Eclipse today on a Marshall TSL(100...i think?), that thing is AWESOME! it had the stock ESP pups in it, and they sounded great. I'm gonna get this one, it's at a good used music store, and it'll be about $300-$350, somewhere around that price. It's a dark red colour, i think i'm in love!!!!!
O O

___
I've never tried an ESP Eclipse, but I do own a Gibson Les Paul Studio.

I think that it's a great guitar. Very versatile, plays amazing for me. I only have a problem with the g-string de-tuning on me. I don't have any problems with it, other than the gold hardware wears off too quickly.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
although theyre both nice, the ESP is more bang for ur buck
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
As an avid LP collector and player. The studios ARE hit or miss. I played a late 90s model once and it was amazing. Then again a few years later and I felt like i was playing a squire strat... horrible. ESPs are very rugged instruments and have a good bit of versatility in them. I was impressed.
98' 1960 Les Paul Classic
00' 57' Reissue Goldtop Les Paul
92' R0' Historic Les Paul

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem-o-verb 2x12 combo
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Extention cabinet
Boss GT-8
Korg DTR-1 Rackmount tuner
Sennheiser WZ-300 wireless
ESP Eclipse hands down. Those guitars blew me away the first time I played one of em.
For Harder Rock, definitley go with an ESP. They come with EMG's if I'm not mistaken, which you have to have for really hard rock.
I've been playing Les Pauls for over thirty years. The LP Studio is a damn fine guitar.
Quote by Chorduroy
"At least"? Is there a Gibson LP better than the Standard?
Classic, Classic Antique, Classic Custom, Custom, Supreme, then there's all the Custom Shop models... **** me, even Epi Elitists...

It's called 'Standard' for a reason. It's the average guitar, and as such, it's the minimum you should buy. If you're going lower than that, then you're buying a low-end guitar... and you shouldn't need to be told why that's a stupid thing to do.

Quote by shredhead22
You're playing a '93 Studio though. Those older Studios were superb guitars. The new Studios though, suck balls. Play a new one next to your 93, trust me, the difference is incredible. The Studios up until '97 were literally just Standards minus some binding and cheaper inlays. The Studios now use lower grade wood, inferior hardware, crap pickups, need I go on?
Eclispe
I have the 400, and its considerably worse than the II, and it's just amazing. I play in a punk band AND a metal band, and it just puts such a good tone out.
Also, every ESP I've played are all built like tanks.