A friend and myself are constantly having little arguements over which one is better in sound, playability and build quality.
Lets take an example of each.
The Taylor 214ce (my choice)
And the Martin DX1CE (my friends choice)

Both are low-end guitars of the range.
Both of which my friend and i are considering buying.
Anyone could give any advise/opinions?
Last edited by Simon89 at Apr 17, 2008,
Alvarez.

Oh yeah, I think there's some kind of forum rule about posting vague "X vs. Y" brand guitars, so this thread is probably going to get killed.
Oh yeah, I think there's some kind of forum rule about posting vague "X vs. Y" brand guitars, so this thread is probably going to get killed.

Is there?
Meh.
Martin hands down. Taylors look better IMO, their so nice and shiny, but martins just sound better. They have a nice, deep character and better sustain. In comparison, Taylor's sound thin and weak.

I used to love taylor's just on their look, but they just don't sound amazing.

The T5's an amazing piece though, very versatile and it plays so easily.
Yeah, protip for you and your friend: don't buy either of those guitars...
I have tried the DX1CE and I own the 214e and I love my taylor. I went for a martin, got a taylor.

It just had a better playability to it. To me the Martin sounded muddy, like there was crispness to the sound compared to the taylor.
2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Dean ML Select
Customized Schecter Omen-6
Taylor 214e
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960 cab
Cube 15
Vox Wah
Blues Driver BD-2

Quote by Chordzzz
can you fuсk it?

Quote by nebiru
Oh I will find a way.
Get an Alvarez, it will sound better than like any low end Martin or Taylor--plus it will probably cost less.
Quote by Cheers
Yeah, protip for you and your friend: don't buy either of those guitars...

Agreed.

I would avoid both those guitars to be honest. The X series martins are made of particle board countertop in the texture of drywall. The 200 series is made of laminate. At that price, you could get something so much better(actually made of wood).

As a generalization for both brands...
Taylors have the best feeling neck, but the sound is too thin for my liking.
Martins are THE dreadnoughts to buy. The sound is just all there. full, rich, and bassy.

Taylors are too bright for me. Martins are just right. Am I biased? Definitely. That's why "is this brand/guitar better" threads are pretty much useless.

Guitars are personal. If you don't love it. It doesn't mean it necessarily sucks. It just means that it's not for you is all.
Last edited by captivate at Apr 17, 2008,
I've only played martins and taylors at guitar center, but everytime I go there I go straight for the Martins, they just have unbelievable warm tone to them...idk what it is but theyre perfect...Taylors i havent found to be that much different than my Yamaha FG730, but the Martins blow it out of the water (I dont remember exact models, I just play them all)
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Martin and Taylor are both good, depends what sounds better to you.

You may as well ask, which is better Honda or Toyota, Coke or Pepsi, etc.
I play and sing music publically, and i play pop rockish kind of songs.
Also i was thinking about the grand auditorium body shape that the taylor 214ce has to offer. I've never had anything but Dreadnought and found the grand auditorium more comfortable.
I'm going to have to get down to my guitar shop and have a jam on a few they have!
Quote by Simon89
I play and sing music publically, and i play pop rockish kind of songs.
Also i was thinking about the grand auditorium body shape that the taylor 214ce has to offer. I've never had anything but Dreadnought and found the grand auditorium more comfortable.
I'm going to have to get down to my guitar shop and have a jam on a few they have!

Going down to a guitar shop and playing a bunch of different guitars is the best thing you can do. Just please don't limit yourself to testing out Martins and Taylors, particularly in this price range.
Quote by Cheers
Going down to a guitar shop and playing a bunch of different guitars is the best thing you can do. Just please don't limit yourself to testing out Martins and Taylors, particularly in this price range.

Agreed. There are much better deals at this price. I would personally either go for a Takamine, Seagull, or Guild GAD. probably the GAD for me.
Breedlove and Alvarez have better options in this range as well.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
These models aren't really representatiive of either brands guitar-making abilities. In this range I can't imagine much difference in any of those categories. In general I find Taylor necks to be too thin but I have friends who love them. I'd pick almost ANY brand over these guitars in the price range, but Guild, Seagull, Alvarez, Breedlove, Taks, even Yamahas would be better choices.
Go with the Martin DX1CE. I have a Martin DX1 without the cutaway and electronics and it sounds better than any Alvarez or Takamine i have ever played. My best friend has a 1000$+ Alvarez Masterworks and my DX1 sounds better on every level. It so bassy but still has crisp highs. The Martin may not be solid wood or have the looks of the Alvarez, but it sounds so much better. Even though the Martin does feel like a desk or a piece of furniture, it sounds so good. Everytime i bring it out i get complements on its sound. You couldn't pay me to trade it for an Alvarez...
the DX i purchased sounds and plays amazing. they are 2 completely different guitars though. if you like one and he likes the other, that is fine. doesn't mean one is better.
what
Personally, I haven't messed around with Taylors much but Martins have way too much bass for my taste. I've tried various models in a quiet local music store, including a few high-end ones for reference, and every time they sounded great for single notes, but when it came to chords it was always like "There are high notes in there somewhere..." Ridiculous bass response. Nice sounds in all registers, but it just sounds unbalanced to my ears. That said, a by-product of that is they have fantasic projection...
I dunno. I don't own an acoustic from either company, but there are other options around. Alvarez, Yamaha, Takamine, sure... Breedlove guitars I have no experience with. What about Gretsch acoustics? I love my Gretsch jumbo, so obviously I'm biased... If they sound anything like my g3700 historic series jumbo (discontinued, unfortunately) they're quite nice.
I adore my Takamine. Lately I've been looking into also picking up an Alvarez. Just look at every kinda guitar possible. I used to have a Daion, the bridge had lifted though so its had the end of its run. All I can say it try everything. I never expected the Tak, but its the best guitar I've played up to now. (Valued at about 3000$)
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
I also want a really low action guitar, i have a fender CD60CE at the minute and the action on it isn't that great to be honest, i play for around 2 hours a day, after which my fingers always feel bruised, and it didn't use to happen on my previous guitars (only really when i started playing).
But more to the point, any good low action guitars out there for around £600 or less?
you can lower action on any guitar, so that's really not much of a factor. just get the store to set it up for you with low action.
yeah... i have a DCX1E... Beautiful guitar both on the eyes and the ears also plays amazingly well. i'd recomend that you'll be pleasently suprised

A few hours later...

My Gear:

AMP: Line 6 Spider III 30 Watt
Guitars: Gibson SG Classic (with P-90 Pickups), Martin DCX1E Acoustic-Electric, and Rouge Viola Bass