Nowadays I don't like plucking with my fingers, especially my third finger, due to carpal tunnel, it hurts my wrist. Anybody else have this happen? Is playing bass with a pick really all that lame? Any alternatives to get some relief other than surgery?
Playign with a pick really isn't that lame at all. It allows you to produce a sharper sound that for a lot of punk songs, and oten metal, you actually need.

You're finger should heal soon.
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
Picks are perfectly acceptable way of playing bass.

But...as far as getting relief from carpal tunnel, you should be talking to a medical provider not the bass forum. Carpal tunnel is serious and you need to be working with a doctor or therapist to resolve the pain and inflammation .

I will tell you that the surgery is not as god awful as it used to be. The recovery time is much quicker and you will get back to almost full function without pain. My better half had the surgery last summer on both hands and was able to start drumming by the end of the summer beginning of the fall.
You dont have to pluck with your third finger. But if it hurts on the first two also, playing with a pick isn't lame at all. It might change your sound a bit.

But even if you want the finger style sound you can buy special picks covered in felt.
Quote by Lemmings311
You dont have to pluck with your third finger. But if it hurts on the first two also, playing with a pick isn't lame at all.

I meant my middle finger... second finger in guitar language, third finger everywhere else. Yeah, using my middle/second finger hurts alot due to computer use and building lawn mower engines in a factory.
Quote by anarkee
Picks are perfectly acceptable way of playing bass.

But...as far as getting relief from carpal tunnel, you should be talking to a medical provider not the bass forum. Carpal tunnel is serious and you need to be working with a doctor or therapist to resolve the pain and inflammation .

I will tell you that the surgery is not as god awful as it used to be. The recovery time is much quicker and you will get back to almost full function without pain. My better half had the surgery last summer on both hands and was able to start drumming by the end of the summer beginning of the fall.

+1. Pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

Some people claim that people who use picks aren't "real bassits" this is BS, don't listen to those people. Personally, whichever way suits you best is what you should do. If medical reasons prevent that, do the next best thing :P
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
surgery like people have mentioned before is quite quick and the recovery time is low, the operation is also more successful in restoring more control back to the patient. My dad had the surgery nearly 5 years ago, and his hands where in tip to shape and he was back to work (surgeon) in about a month.

The earlier you get the surgery the better, as severe and progressed CTS requires more recovery time, and time in the operating room. If left untreated its nearly impossible to reverse the damage, since you are playing still you still have a long ways to go ive seen women whos fingers are bending off at funny angles from their hands becasue it went untreated 10+ years.

There is nothing wrong with playing with a pick, its a good skill to know, incase you every have bleeding fingers. You can also get diffrent sounds, and it adds a punching power to your bass and is easier to hear.
Playing with fingers fast just gives you something to brag about.
Stop whining and play with your fingers:

fast fingers=more chicks

DOn't think girls would appreciate being stimulated with a pick you know. Fingers is where it is.

Do it for the girls dude!! Do it for the dream of every bassist! Do it for the United States of America!

Or... you could get surgery or start playing with a pick. Wuss
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Stop whining and play with your fingers:

fast fingers=more chicks

DOn't think girls would appreciate being stimulated with a pick you know. Fingers is where it is.

Do it for the girls dude!! Do it for the dream of every bassist! Do it for the United States of America!

the old lady's man bassist joke returns XD
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3