Lately I've been interested in getting a guitar with either a Floyd rose or a Floyd rose like tremelo. I've been looking at some of the Ibanez RG's within the $350-$450 range and I'm interested in a few of them(RG4EXQM1 AKA RG4EX1, RG350MDX, and RG370DX). I noticed that all of these are equipped with an Edge III tremelo. Most of the reviews that I've read on the sites note that the tremelo sucks, but don't explain why, except that the string changing is time consuming, and don't go into much more detai than that. So I want to know if the Edge III is good or just a piece of junk.
The Knife Edges break after a few months due to the materials being cheap, or so I've heard.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
people who hate are just supe lazy or cant figure out haw to change their guitar strings :p
Quote by syyz1
I'm on my period, wearing no sort of protection, naked on a white chair

Quote by *Juno*
I put my balls inside the sound hole and strummed myself to ectasy

Quote by °☻°
I like it hairy, that way i can play welcome to the jungle while i have sex!
The problem is a lot of these users don't know how to setup a tremolo system correctly.
The edge III is pretty good. All the Edge III equiped guitars I had worked flawlesly. I some guiars I changed the edge III to an OFR just cause i wanted gold hardware. And the Edge III is actually way smoother than the OFR.
Then again maybe i was just lucky to get good parts.
Quote by vengeance_elite
people who hate are just supe lazy or cant figure out haw to change their guitar strings :p

Shut the fuck up. ALL the criticism the Edge 3 gets is from people who know their stuff, and who don't hate it because it's 'hard to change strings'. That's the case with any floating bridge, now stop talking out of your arse.

The knife edges are basically made out of cotton, and give out after a few months. This can be extended to maybe 2 years if well set up and luck holds out. Luckily, it's a direct swap for the vastly superior Edge Pro.

But it remains an inferior bridge.
all floyd rose style tremolos take ages to change string and set up properly
the edge 3 isnt THAT bad, but is obviously not made as of good quality materials as, say, the edge pro

also, you will probably find on this forum that many noobs who dont know how to set theirs up properly have edge 3s, as oposed to more high end ones, theres where an association kicks in

so basically it isnt THAT bad theres just a lot better
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by webbtje
Shut the fuck up. ALL the criticism the Edge 3 gets is from people who know their stuff, and who don't hate it because it's 'hard to change strings'. That's the case with any floating bridge, now stop talking out of your arse.

The knife edges are basically made out of cotton, and give out after a few months. This can be extended to maybe 2 years if well set up and luck holds out. Luckily, it's a direct swap for the vastly superior Edge Pro.

But it remains an inferior bridge.

really? I thought the OFR was the direct swap...
Well, if the edgeIII was redesigned to look more like the edge pro, that's news to me. of course, it is an inferior bridge, if it weren't, why would they only put them on low-end models?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I've owned and played the most brutal metal on an Edge III for over two years now with no such problems. It's all a bunch of dramatic bull**** that people have, only because there is a "more expensive" bridge you can buy (Edge Pro); naturally, gear*****s will pitch a fit because of this.

The Edge III stays in tune flawlessly - sometimes I won't have to tune for over a month and a half, and I practice on a day to day basis. The knife edges are totally legit. And another thing: IT'S A LOCKING TREMOLO. YES, IT WILL TAKE LONGER TO CHANGE THE STRINGS - PROBABLY BECAUSE IT'S A FAR MORE ADVANCED SYSTEM THAN A TUNE-O-MATIC. Any tremolo bridge is going to take longer than anything else to change strings on. The upside is that the strings never break, and you never have to tune, basically. This is of course, my experience, and not the guy who bought the $80 Japanese Ibanez copy and thinks it's equipped with an Edge III. Lol.

Go for it bro, it's a great piece of equipment.
Ibanez RG5EX1
Epiphone SG-400

Line 6 Spider II 112 - 75w

Monster
BOSS
Dunlop

Basically you need to buy your guitar along with an Edge Pro, and be ready to switch them when the factory rig craps out. Or save your dough and buy a complete Ibanez of a superior class. Either way you get what you pay for.
No tuning for a month and a half? Bet your guitar sounds great eh.

Most people will change strings more often than you tune up!
My Main Guitar (JS100) has an Edge III and i've only had to tune it, what, 3 times now? i've had it for about 2 months and it was played for a while b4 i got it, stays in tune Flawlessly. idc what other people say, it's a great piece of equipment. go for it.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
i have a guitar w/ it and altho ive only used the trem once or twice, i dont think its bad at all. i just dont use it eough to know how durable it is. and i plan to keep it that way since im selling the guitar
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by nyandres
The problem is a lot of these users don't know how to setup a tremolo system correctly.
The edge III is pretty good. All the Edge III equiped guitars I had worked flawlesly. I some guiars I changed the edge III to an OFR just cause i wanted gold hardware. And the Edge III is actually way smoother than the OFR.
Then again maybe i was just lucky to get good parts.

My Edge III works fine as well.
yeah, bro. that's the beauty of a locking tremolo. you hardly ever have to tune. and as for changing strings, i'm pretty sure you'd have a hard time finding a "majority" of people doing such a thing.
Ibanez RG5EX1
Epiphone SG-400

Monster
BOSS
Dunlop

Quote by Ichimaru
The Knife Edges break after a few months due to the materials being cheap, or so I've ate many penises.

Haha, what the hell are you talking about? This is the clearest bandwagon jumper who's never touched an Edge in his life that I've ever seen.

Anyway, I'll bet that over half the kids who say Edge IIIs are bad are the kids in 10th grade who don't understand how to keep the tension equal and complain that hanging the guitar from the whammy bar puts it out of tune. Sure it takes some getting used to, but just fiddle around with it and it will last A SHITLOAD LONGER THAN A COUPLE MONTHS. You have my word as a...Canadian.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Last edited by Dudage at Apr 18, 2008,
My friend has one in his Ibanez, I find it a pretty good tremolo actually. He abuses it, a lot. And It still holds up. And a lot of people would say that they die on you after a couple of months, which is partially false. Too much abuse isn't good for anything, and the Edge III will actually last pretty long/and in tune with a proper set-up.
I doubt there's really anything wrong with it. My buddy "metal Jebus" has an EGDE III equipped guitar for about 2 years and it works perfectly. It's just tthat ppl don't know how to use one, me being one of those ppl.lol
its a bridge, i had an OFR and the locking thing, didn't take that long to change strings on.
+if you regularly care for your guitars, your shizzit should be okay.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
yeah, i have one as well. Coming up on two years, and it holds tune perfectly, you just have to set it up correctly .
Made of poorer quality materials, I know several people who have had issues with this particular bridge.

Perhaps the comments the Edge III receive are over the top, on occasion, e.g 'It turns to dust when you touch it', but they're fairly judged criticisms. There are better tremolos, that don't have so many people complaining about them.

I don't know why people use them, tbh, because it's so much better to get an Edge Pro.
It's not a huge problem if you don't go Steve Vai with the whammy bar all the time. And to be honest, its not much better or worse then the other low quality licensed floyd roses out there. So if you're not a regular trem user, but the guitar you want happens to have a Edge III, then go for it. But if you're looking for a guitar with a decent trem that you are going to use heavily, then look elsewhere.
its not a bad trem once set up properly.

mine broke, but it was due to me really abusing it. hahaha!
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
so yeah! go for it. you've got more than enough positive reviews on the Edge III
Ibanez RG5EX1
Epiphone SG-400

Monster
BOSS
Dunlop

Hi!

Before I begin, I would like to say that I'm a guitar tech by trade and have been for several years. I've owned several guitars with licensed Floyd rose tremolos and I'm very capable of changing their strings and setting them up properly.

A few years ago I owned an Ibanez RG350DX that was equipped with the Edge III. That tremolo wouldn't stay in tune for me through 2 songs leave alone a whole gig. The fact that some in this thread have had better luck with it makes me want to take a second look at the more recent productions of the tremolo (the one I owned was first generation), but my experience with it was not a pleasant one. The worst part was, I didn't even use the tremolo that often! it was purely used for light chord vibrato (I was playing light rock with a local group at the time). I eventually sold the guitar (didn't like it enough to bother putting an OFR in it) and I haven't looked back.

The problem with Floyd knockoffs is that they are made of inferior materials. That isn't a personal opinion either, the original Floyds are made from stainless steel, most others are made from a bronze alloy which is considerably softer (if anyone would be interested, I can provide a REALLY boring chemical reason for this). That's why some of you have experienced wearing of the knife edges. It's also why you can get a lot of the licensed 'quality' knockoffs for 1/4 the price of an OFR. As much as we guitar players tend to be bargain shoppers, with tremolos you truly get what you pay for. Don't leave it to chance...get an OFR!
Soaring man
I have an Edge III on my JS100 and it hasn't given me any trouble at all. I found the Floyd Rose on my Jackson to be a bigger pain, but keep in mind that it's a licensed knock off and not the real thing.

Also, the JS100 is a considerably more expensive guitar than those RG 100s (as far as I know) so I think the tremolo might be built a little bit better. Some of the ones I've seen in guitar shops look like they're made out of plastic... :p
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
If I got a RG with an edge 3, could I directly swap it out for an Edge pro or OFR? Theres this model i really want haha, but the edge 3 sucks..
Quote by jktheman
If I got a RG with an edge 3, could I directly swap it out for an Edge pro or OFR? Theres this model i really want haha, but the edge 3 sucks..

I've it on good authority that an Edge Pro will fit the route. That doesn't mean you can do a direct swap, as it might not be possible to intonate the bridge saddles correctly or ge reasonable action. The OFR should fit too, but not the Schaller Floyds IIRC.

Honestly, the biggest issue with the Edge III is the softer metal being used on the knife edges. If you use the trem heavily, then in time, the edge will warp sligtly, making return to pitch almost impossible. It happened with the older TRS tremolos, it happened with the Edge Pro II and it happens with the Edge III. If you don't use the trem much, it might last you much longer, but it's inevitable.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Prophet of Page
I've it on good authority that an Edge Pro will fit the route. That doesn't mean you can do a direct swap, as it might not be possible to intonate the bridge saddles correctly or ge reasonable action. The OFR should fit too, but not the Schaller Floyds IIRC.

Honestly, the biggest issue with the Edge III is the softer metal being used on the knife edges. If you use the trem heavily, then in time, the edge will warp sligtly, making return to pitch almost impossible. It happened with the older TRS tremolos, it happened with the Edge Pro II and it happens with the Edge III. If you don't use the trem much, it might last you much longer, but it's inevitable.

Will a pro be able to do it then, if I hand him the guitar and an Edge, would he be able to intonate the saddles and get a good low action?
Quote by jktheman
Will a pro be able to do it then, if I hand him the guitar and an Edge, would he be able to intonate the saddles and get a good low action?

The Edge won't fit the route, an Edge Pro should, as should the OFR.

I've found something on line where a fairly knowledgeable guy has found that the OFR is a direct replacement, and that action and intonation are perfectly fine.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Mines had 3 and a 1/2 years of abuse and I've never had a problem with it, set it up properly first time you get it and it'll last.
I'm curious as to what you mean by 'set up properly'? As long as your baseplate is anywhere near parallel with your top you shouldn't have any trouble at all.
Soaring man