Hey everyone, my small group is playing the song Exo Politics, by MUSE.

Bass Tab
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/muse/exo-politics_ver3_btab.htm

Guitar Tab
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/muse/exo-politics_tab.htm

Song
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xGX6aZW8snI

I am having troubles keeping time during the guitar solo at 1:51. Our group is fairly small, so we do not have a drummer to help me keep the timing. As soon as the guitar solo hits, I am the band's "rythm section". The problem however, is that no matter what we do do, the guitar solo never ends in the same place. We have tried practicing in a way that I just keep redoing the measure while the guitarist keeps trying to get the timing right, but nothing has really worked.

Any ideas? Should I look for any telltale sign of mistakes?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Metronome.

You don't need a drummer to keep time, you, as a bassist, must be able to do so on your own.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
get a metronome, also, learn what the others in the band are doing, try to tap into what they are doing. what i mean is, in the song, learn "triggers". when a bass part u are playing is backing a signature part in the song. i cant quite describe it. also, practice along with the original recording, practice so u can play it accurately so when u are playin with the guitarist u wont lose time, jsut go into ur little world and play the bass part as u did with the original recording, just dont block out everything.
Last edited by thedudemeister at Apr 17, 2008,
Quote by BassistGal
Metronome.

You don't need a drummer to keep time, you, as a bassist, must be able to do so on your own.

We are a two man group, and we have performed songs together as a two man group before. However, I don't think I have ever encountered this problem before with any of our other songs, I have always been fairly good at keeping the time down with them. But when the guitar solo hits, I am lost. I get this odd feeling in my gut that the guitar is going to come back in at the wrong part of the song, I get distracted, make mistakes, and totally mess up. I don't really know how to describe it. I don't want to believe it is an issue with my timing, because I have never had a problem with it before.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Are you sure the guitarist isn't playing the solo in the wrong timing?
Just because it's your job to keep time doesn't mean you're the one messing up. it's the guitarist's job to stay on time with the bass.

Edit:
To expand, I find I have great timing on gaps etc.
And often times I've played with someone and they've jumped in too early because they just want to get to playing their part and they're not paying attention to the beat and space between riffs.
Last edited by -Collapse- at Apr 17, 2008,
Okay, you might wanna try accentuating the strong beats in the bar.

Also, both count. It's in 4/4, so you'll have no trouble with that. Make sure the guitarist is playing it right. If it keeps going off, it sounds like his notes are too long/too short.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
Okay, you might wanna try accentuating the strong beats in the bar.

Also, both count. It's in 4/4, so you'll have no trouble with that. Make sure the guitarist is playing it right. If it keeps going off, it sounds like his notes are too long/too short.

Chris is correct. If you are the rhythm section without a drummer, then you should play the on beats not unlike the drummer uses the kick drum. And play with confidence. Also try playing to a pulse, like a metronome or a simple 4/4 drum track.

In reality, if you are rock steady, the guitarist should be locking with you, much like you would lock with a drummer if there was one.
well technically your a duet, not a band. i recommend a decent drum machine, until you can get a drummer. keeping good time takes lots of practice. you need to keep the rhythm in your head, reguardless what the guitar is doing. keep at it, you'll get it eventually. i have played in a 3 piece band for most of my career. my guitar player and i developed 90% of our sound using an Alesis SR-16 drum machine. for gigs, we used one of 3 drummers, whichever was available for that date. so, it was the drum machine that made us a band, for most practices. good luck!
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
well technically your a duet, not a band. i recommend a decent drum machine, until you can get a drummer. keeping good time takes lots of practice. you need to keep the rhythm in your head, reguardless what the guitar is doing. keep at it, you'll get it eventually. i have played in a 3 piece band for most of my career. my guitar player and i developed 90% of our sound using an Alesis SR-16 drum machine. for gigs, we used one of 3 drummers, whichever was available for that date. so, it was the drum machine that made us a band, for most practices. good luck!

That sounds like a good idea, so I looked around the interwebz for a drummachine. The cheapest one I found is
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZOMMRT3

Now, $100 is way to steep for me. And to be honest, I don't really want programmable drumkits and user input for drumsets. All I want is drum machine that has a couple of presets for <$50, do you have any reccomendations?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke