Greek hēdonē pleasure; akin to Greek hēdys sweet — more at sweet
Date:
1 : the doctrine that pleasure or happiness is the sole or chief good in life
2 : a way of life based on or suggesting the principles of hedonism
— he·do·nist \-nist\ noun
— he·do·nis·tic \ˌhē-də-ˈnis-tik\ adjective
— he·do·nis·ti·cal·ly \-ti-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

What do you guys think about Hedonism?

I personally like the ideas of hedonism. I feel we, living creatures, have an innate desire and determination to have happiness and pleasure. It's the way we, as living creatures, are. I'm not saying all forms of life are like this. Although it doesn't mention the word "meaning" in the definition, I suppose that sort of would be the meaning in my opinion.

I could give more thoughts on it, but I don't really feel like typing it out now.
I'd read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, it'll give a good insight to why having hedonism as a goal/enforced ideal is a bad idea.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Dude when I saw this thread title I instantly thought Will Ferrell as Harry Karri lol. "Mad cow disease, it was here for awhile and then it went away, YOUR THOUGHTS?"

Anyways, on topic. Those may be the chief good in an animal's life. I won't say why I believe this, because it will totally hijack your thread, but I believe that the chief good in life on Earth as humans is to place everyone above yourself, and live your life as selflessly as possible and in dedication to the well being of others.

EDIT: And as a board of mainly teenagers, I'm sure most will disagree with me.
We're only strays.
Last edited by Martyr's Prayer at Apr 17, 2008,
Quote by oneblackened
I'd read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, it'll give a good insight to why having hedonism as a goal/enforced ideal is a bad idea.

+1
Quote by oneblackened

*starts an orgy*
im quite hedonistic myself, i think money is for spending and life is for living rather than wasting in an office.

im also the happiest guy i know and my gf says im the most carefree and layed back she knows.

if you have a happy life and no one suffers for it surely thats a life well lived
Acoustic Percussion Guitar Player
Quote by InvaderTSN
I can only poop during full moons.
Isn't that what laws are based on anyway? Murder/theft/rape etc. are all gonna piss people off, if they didn't; would they be illegal?
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
It sounds nice. However, i think happiness is to radically different in people to want that mindset a standard. I think it would make for an even scarier world.
Quote by rush4life
*starts an orgy*

rofl. *dresses up as native american, fakes hanging self*
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
On one hand I find it hard to argue against it, considering I don't believe in heaven/hell/reincarnation/etc. Why not make pleasure a goal in life? Why deny yourself opportunities that will never come again?

Of course, morals are the other side of the argument. Fairness to others would dictate that we put others ahead of ourselves; if this brings you more happiness than a hedonistic path, then all the better.
Oh Shit!