i've decided to learn enter sandman to get me back into the groove of playing bass again because i let myself get into another slump of not playing for awhile again.

i am able to play almost part the way it's supposed to be played. I have been playing along with the song to get my timing right and i have most of my timing down and if i get a step off i can catch up easily.

there is 1 part of the song i can not get though.

Intro
g|---------
d|--5--(x6) u let da guitar play dis twice before u com in
a|-7-------
e|0--65----

g|-----------------------------------------------------
d|----------(x4)------------(x4)---------(x4)----------
a|-------/7--------/7-------------/7-----------/7------
e|0000000--------00--600001-----00--65001----00--650000

g|-|--------------------|-|
d|*|------(x3)----------|*| do dis twice
a|*|-/7-----------------|*|
e|-|0--650----30202/3\20|-|

the second riff (the one in the middle) i can not hear being played.
A stupid question, but is it being played under the guitar? i know that's what the bass is supposed to do, support the other instruments, but i hear it so profoundly in the other parts of the song but not in that 1 section. it seems like they just play the intro riff over and over and then jump rite into the that last part of the 3rd bar of tabs with the 30202/3/201

http://youtube.com/watch?v=otuCPqrGd0Q

any tips on the rhythem pattern of the part in the middle?
I think if you can't play the bass on a metallica song something is terribly terribly wrong.
Quote by Bassism
I think if you can't play the bass on a metallica song something is terribly terribly wrong.

as i just said i CAN play the song as in i am ABLE too. but i can not tell wen that part i mentioned comes in becuase to me it just sounds like they keep playing the intro riff for awhile, skip that part and go into the E----30202320 part
Quote by Bassism

Thanks for not helping at all

You could try using a Guitar Pro tab so you can listen to the bass especifically.
Quote by watchingmefall
Thanks for not helping at all

You could try using a Guitar Pro tab so you can listen to the bass especifically.

ya ive used up my 15 day trial and ive got like no cash to buy the real thing >_>

i used to have the program...but that computer crashed ages ago and i didnt back up the file on a USB plug to use it again.

thanks for the constructive response.
Last edited by Crazy Horse at Apr 17, 2008,
Quote by Crazy Horse
ya ive used up my 15 day trial and ive got like no cash to buy the real thing >_>

i used to have the program...but that computer crashed ages ago and i didnt back up the file on a USB plug to use it again.

thanks for the constructive response.

You can download it from Limewire, thats what i did.
I'm not sure if I'm right, but I think most of the Metillica songs around that era had the bass very quiet in the mix.

My best advice is to listen to the track with the bass turned up, see if that helps you

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by dancesisidance
I'm not sure if I'm right, but I think most of the Metillica songs around that era had the bass very quiet in the mix.

My best advice is to listen to the track with the bass turned up, see if that helps you

The bass on the Black Album is actually quite audible, MUCH more so than And Justice For All. Jason has a great tone on the album, in fact. But you bring up a point, turning the bass up can't hurt. Another thing is, just start the song over. I'm assuming you know how to read the tab and that you know that (x4) means play the part right before it four times. If none of that helps, and you still can't figure it out, it starts at 0:24, it's the line the guitar is playing. The bass plays the same thing, if you're having trouble hearing it.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
maybe the tab is incorrect. if you can't hear it, don't play it. tabs are wrong, way more than their right, i have found. play what you hear. if there is more, you'll pick-up on it later. be patient, and keep at it.
thank you for your help. you've each braught something new that i could recognize to play the song right. It is a great song and a fun song to play at that. It's only right to play it the way it was meant to be played.