Ok I have a mac and all I have right now is garageband and I am struggling to get a even half decent distortion. After months of fighting clipping from running my pedals through, I'm sick of it and want a good distortiong right there on my computer so I can just record clean and be able to adjust my sound later.

Garageband's distortion is a joke. and absolute joke. ok for blues maybe. I'm looking for something that will give me good heavy metal distortion. I screwed around with the camel crusher AU last night but it just sounds so dry and flat I can't stand it.

And both camel crusher and garageband's distortion effect and garageband's amp modeling has this horrible hiss even when nothing is playing. which you can get rid of with a gate but it's still obviously there when you start playing.

what do you guys use for this?
pod xt live....check my profile for audio sample...works unbelievably well with garage band...no brainer
well thanks but i don't have 400 bucks i was really looking for something along the lines of a freeware audio unit. like nothing between my guitar and computer but a cord and my presonus inspire gt.
Get an interface for your mac
Doesn't need to be modelling, like the Pod or anything like that
Firewire's best, then with an interface, you'll be able to use your pedals, be able to control your levels, etc, it'll get the sound you want.

and btw, i'd invest in logic maybe, garage band isn't very good recording software if you want to do it seriously, but its okay for just putting ideas down

Edit*
Quote by Jondy
well thanks but i don't have 400 bucks i was really looking for something along the lines of a freeware audio unit. like nothing between my guitar and computer but a cord and my presonus inspire gt.

You posted that while i was typing.
Without spending money, there's not a lot you can do, an interface is all i can suggest
^got one dude. and it is firewire. no effects though it's a presonus

and i swear when i can afford it i'm buying pro tools. but it's all i got right now.
Quote by Jondy
^got one dude

Ah right, thought you could have been going direct into the mac
I'm not sure what to suggest then. if you've messed around with your pedals and what not.

Just out of interest, do you plug headphones in when you record? Because mac speakers (i've found anyway) don't handle recording guitar very well, but if i'm playing through headphones, its much better.

Also another thought. have you downloaded any of the extra sounds for garage band? My friend downloads a lot of extra sounds, i'm not sure where from, i'll try and find out 2morrow if you want me too.
i bootlegged all the exp packs for like midi keyboards if you can find some audio units that would kick ass. and no i haven't been using headphones, i'll definately try that though.

i can get a good sound when i run my pedals through but when i export the track it clips like hell because it's just like too much signal coming through or something. like you know how garageband shows the waveform? it doesn't show anything at all when i run my pedals. the export sounds much cleaner when i digitally add the distortion, but i can't stand the hiss and the horrible dry distortion i've been able to make in garageband thus far.
Okay, turns out my friend just buys the patches from apple, which are about £50 ($100) each, which i'm sure you don't really want to be doing. So thats no help really.

& i think headphones will be an improvement,
If that doesn't solve it, the only thing i can think of is that you're input volume is set to high ( its in system preferences if you don't know )

And that is the problem with the presents, the hiss is really annoying.
yeah hate the hiss. I mean i would be willing to gate it and deal with it but none of the distortion I've been able to make has really been worth it at all.

btw i'm not using the built in speakers i'm using external but I do notice a huge difference in between these speakers and say my car speakers. I always have to check my song in my car to make sure there's no clipping.
POD is the way to go, listen to my recordings and youtube videos (C7Blackjack), it's all direct with the PODxt Live. A cheaper option would be the Pocket POD, which I think sounds pretty badass aswell for the money.
does garage band support VST plugins? I have some great distortion VST's I could probably email to ya ;D
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Yeah, there are some some good free ones floating around on the internet. Just try a Google search.

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
i gotta marshall JCM9000 plugin that rocks... be sweet if I could find a plugin for a mesa triple rectifier though... that amp owns my soul... but i dont own one of them LOL
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
garage band doens't support vst's only AU's. which sucks most of the good free stuff is vst.
TECH21 SANSAMPS are made specifically for recording directly. New GT2 is around $180.00 but used should half that. I have one and I must say it has many different types of distortion available and is pretty tweakable. Check out the reviews on this things and you'll get a better idea.
send a link
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
See if you can find a VST wrapper that's mac compatible?
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
VST's may actually be mac compatible I don't know but they're not garageband compatible period. there is no such thing as a vst compatible with garageband it's just not a format it supports. it's not a matter of operating system. it's like a .mp3, it's just a format.