So I got some advice on scales and whatnot and it led me here. http://gosk.com/scales/natural-minor-scale-for-guitar.php
So the "Sweep Pattern" position it sorta confuses me. Do I treat that entire "shape" as a scale or can I mix the position up to create my own sweep shape. For example,

Let's say I start it on the low E on the 5 fret. and it ends on the high E on the 10th fret. Could I play any of the designated notes between there?

Yes it may be a very stupid question but to a guy who doesn't know theory ( ) it's kinda confusing.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
If you've reached the the level of technical proficiency required to sweep, I'd say that a lack of theory is holding you back in a major way - your playing at this level is complex to the point that you can't get away with the same lack of knowledge as a pop-punk guitarist chugging powerchords.

I have little interest in learning how to sweep right now, so I can't answer your question, but I advise you learn theory, then you can answer it (and any subsequent question) yourself.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Quote by shredforbread33
So I got some advice on scales and whatnot and it led me here. http://gosk.com/scales/natural-minor-scale-for-guitar.php
So the "Sweep Pattern" position it sorta confuses me. Do I treat that entire "shape" as a scale or can I mix the position up to create my own sweep shape. For example,

Let's say I start it on the low E on the 5 fret. and it ends on the high E on the 10th fret. Could I play any of the designated notes between there?

Yes it may be a very stupid question but to a guy who doesn't know theory ( ) it's kinda confusing.

I would imagine you could create your own shape out of the scale, it doesn't really matter. As long as the notes fit and are inside of the Aoelian (minor) scale that your playing. When you say treat that entire shape as a scale... i dont quite understan't what you mean, but hey man, try it out, if you can sweep properly its definitely going to sound good because it uses the designated notes. Correct me if im wrong, (i know nothing about sweeping) but lots of sweeping uses arpegeggios, well if you break up the notes of the scale, it becomes an arpeggio, and it is exactly one of the things your doing, so it should all be sweet.

It's welll worth learning theory, it does actually help.
That "sweep pattern" isn't really a sweep pattern. I have no idea what this site is trying to teach. What exactly is your question? Are you trying to learn the arpeggio so you can sweep it? Or do you just want to learn the scale.
Well I already have the notes of the scale memorized I was just asking if I could but them in whatever order I want to make a sweeping shape. But you seem to know a lot about theory but not a lot of techniques. I'm definitely not saying this is a bad thing it's more of an eye opener of it doesn't matter what you can play if you don't know where it comes from... (that really didn't make any sense) What I'm saying is I'm going to start learning theory.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Quote by shredforbread33

So the "Sweep Pattern" position it sorta confuses me.

Well, I'm not surprised you're confused because that "Sweep Pattern" is just
incredibly badly named and doesn't really belong in that list of positions.

Essentially what the "Sweep Pattern" is, is one of the 7, 3 note per string fingering
positions of the major scale. All it is, is a variation of another pattern he gave --
pattern 2 is the closest. So, yes, it's simply another way of playing the same
scale.

He's calling it the "sweep pattern" presumably because 3 note per string scales
fit nicely with economy picking. So, it's really not sweep at all. If he was going
to give you the patterns he should have listed all 7 and not just stuck one of them
into a completely different fingering system like a red-headed stepchild.