it has no place on the instruments forum.. so here I am..

A friend came across his old violin that he doesn't want anymore, and I would LOVE to play the violin ( actually the Cello, but it's KIND OF close )..

and anyway..

the one thing that kills me is the bowing..

ANY help at all?

how to hold the frog, where to play pressure...please?

Any suggestions welcome
Quote by blue_strat
Google cello forums.

Be careful though. The cello environment is dangerous and you can get into some deep trouble. Cellists have been known for outrageous behaviour throughout history.
I hate to say it....but you're probably going to sound **** until you've been playing for a fair few years.

It's not like guitar, when you can get away with being able to play one song and sound okay.

but stick with it. I don't think there's anything more impressive than a talented violinist.
i would suggest you start with plucking to learn the notes and stuff, and then when you become comfortable with the notes you can add the bow so you only have to focus on one new thing at a time
Quote by matt bickerton
I hate to say it....but you're probably going to sound **** until you've been playing for a fair few years.

It's not like guitar, when you can get away with being able to play one song and sound okay.

but stick with it. I don't think there's anything more impressive than a talented violinist.

This guy's right. It took me 3 years to sound decent. Not good, decent.
Quote by LDSheep
I know the notes, I've been playing bass for 5 years..

it's just the bowing that I am looking for help with
Bass: EADG
Cello: CGDA

How would playing bass help you, aside from the general theory involved?

For bowing cello, I really can't help, I'm a violist, but...
Quote by SmarterChild
Get a teacher.
Can't emphasize this enough.
Using the Bow

Step 1:
Tighten the bow hair so there is a 3/4-inch space between the hair and the bow at the closest point.

Step 2:
Place your right thumb on the inside part of the bow where the frog creeps forward and back.

Step 3:
Lay your three middle fingers on the outside of the bow. Place your pinkie on top, near the adjustment screw.

Step 4:
Rest the side of your index finger (just above its second joint) on top of the bow stick.

Step 5:
Place the frog end of the bow hair on top of the "G" string halfway between the end of the fingerboard and the bridge.

Step 6:
Allow your hand to fall naturally from your arm at the point of your wrist.

Step 7:
Apply a slight bit of pressure on the bow and draw a straight line while vibrating the string. Stop near the bow tip. This is a "down bow."

Step 8:
Reverse the direction and move the bow on the string from the tip to the frog. This is an "up bow."

Step 9:
Move the bow at a medium-slow and regular speed.

Step 10:
Focus on producing a steady and pleasant-sounding tone.
Last edited by lotsofvolume at Apr 17, 2008,
Bass Guitar, I started to play upright for my school orchestra, but the bridge broke after roughly a week and it never got replaced ( the school's upright, that is)