Page 1 of 2
Hey i was wondering if anybody knows any good hip hop/rap songs that can be played on guitar and if u know where 2 find the tabs.
y? hip hop/rap songs rarely use guitars. personally its not music. just find tabs for DECENT bands and learn them.
funk guitar is more common to find... and funk guitar is whats mostly used in R&B and hiphop

look for funk songs

to "thedudemister" STFU
Rage?
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
there are a couple covers of rap songs...dynamite hack covered boyz in da hood like 10 years ago...there probably more
'To be positive at all times is to ignore all that is important, sacred or valuable. To be negative at all times is to be threatened by ridiculousness and instant discredibility.'
-Kurt Cobain
Yeah Mynabull has it try some Rage Against The Machine very rap, the riffs can be pretty easy too.
Funny coincidence. I was actually pondering the other day if an old rap song(C.R.E.A.M. by Wu Tang Clan) could be arranged with drum/guitar/bass/piano w/ no vocals(piano probably taking the vocal line). And I wasn't high either. Just one of my crazy thoughts.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by thedudemeister
y? hip hop/rap songs rarely use guitars. personally its not music. just find tabs for DECENT bands and learn them.

closed-mindedness won't help him.
dem shop boys - party like a rock star

i think that is the artist.. i dont listen to much rap...

very simple... hahaha
My old band used to play The Roots - The Seed 2.0. It's pretty solid and fun to play when you get the right tabs. We also did Biggie - Juicy, thats good with a solid bassist and drummer. With that I had to fudge the guitar a little more, but it was fun. I think what made them really work is adding your band's own style and whatnot to it. good luck on that tho
Some tupac songs actually have some pretty decent guitar in the background. I cant think fo any off the top of my head but try some of his stuff.
"You've got to dance like nobody else is watching.
Dream like you will live forever.
Live like you're going to die tomorrow,
and love like it is never gonna hurt."
-- James Dean (1931-1955)

Quote by JakeTheDuck
This man has the right idea.

^
oh yeahhh
Hip-hop does lots of sampling of jazz records, so look for some memorable jazz lines you could put to a beat.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
A bunch of hip hop has blues and jazz roots. Tribe Called Quest has some jazzy bass lines and some nice riffs. Wu Tang also has a song that has strings and guitar in it called Reunited.

The point of guitars in hip hop is for accompaniment. Most of the time it's rhythmical, and a lot of times there are just drum and bass lines in songs.

However, check Immortal Technique and The Roots for some good guitar songs. The Seed 2.0 is really fun to play.
Quote by AA00P
Rap+Guitars=Nu Metal.

(Sorta)

Rage Against the Machine, The Beastie Boys, The Fugees, The Roots, Common, and Immortal Technique are Nu Metal?

Since when?

Disturbed and Godsmack have rap in their music?

Since when?
Quote by The-Trooper94
Some tupac songs actually have some pretty decent guitar in the background. I cant think fo any off the top of my head but try some of his stuff.

I think the TUPAC song he's talkin about is THUGS MANSION it has a acoustic line similar to more than words. And i think someone was talkin about jazzy riffs and play jazzy lines and that hip hop is similar to funk.... thats true. me and sum of my friends were havin a hip-hop freestyle session the other day i was on the guitar my friend was on the drums and we had an open mic for people to jump in.... i guess the important thing to remember about hip hop or rap is that vocals are the most important role in the song. guitar drums bass samples loops are only there to back up the rapper so keeping things minimal is good for hip hop. the less you play the better it sounds. also id recommend listening to lotta underground memphis reins atmosphere slug son of ran they all have cool beats u can prolly pick up some melodies in the backgrounds that you can play with your guitar easily
Cypress Hill - Rock Superstar
Fear Factory & Cypress Hill - Back the **** Up
Run DMC % Aerosmith - Walk this Way
Anthrax & Public Enemy - Bring the Noise
Public Enemy - Sophisticated Bitch
Ice T - The Girl Tried to Kill Me

All I know from the top of my head.
Here you go mate heres some phat beats fresh from crompton

Either

D --------7--------7--------7--------7--------7---------8--------8--------8--------8-------8
A-------- 5--------5--------5--------5--------5---------5--------5--------5--------5--------5

or if you want to get fancy

G ---2--2--2--2--2--2--2--2--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--2--2--2--2--2--2--2-3--3--3--3
D --0---0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0-0
Quote by Czizzle

Either

D --------7--------7--------7--------7--------7---------8--------8--------8--------8-------8
A-------- 5--------5--------5--------5--------5---------5--------5--------5--------5--------5

G ---2--2--2--2--2--2--2--2--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--3--2--2--2--2--2--2--2-3--3--3--3
D --0---0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0-0

Is that "Lose Yourself" by Eminem?
Quote by Czizzle

Either

GTFO.

Phat is an east coast term used like, 10 years ago.

COMPTON is a city south of Los Angeles.

Quote by merkin72792
Hey i was wondering if anybody knows any good hip hop/rap songs that can be played on guitar and if u know where 2 find the tabs.

Bandolero - Don omar and some other dude (it has some nice guitar)
Also some immortal technique (leaving the past, harlem streets, probably more)
maybe some common
also thugz mansions nice
Quote by thedudemeister

press alt f4, its awesome
Last edited by cubs at Apr 17, 2008,
Listen to some Erik B. & Rakim (one group)
in most of thier songs theres a stand up bass n various horns
some have little guitar licks..but its possible to improvise over it
I'm Like an Altoid...small, white, and curiously strong
Colt 45 by Afroman actually has a decent guitar part. Simple but it sounds good.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by imgooley
GTFO.

Phat is an east coast term used like, 10 years ago.

COMPTON is a city south of Los Angeles.

dntz Be angry coz i be kikin it in the phat states , k. i be flippin and shippin dat ****.
Quote by Czizzle
dntz Be angry coz i be kikin it in the phat states , k. i be flippin and shippin dat ****.

You're Australian. Shut it.
Quote by feces42
Flight of the Conchords- Hip-hopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros

look up "thugz mansion" the acoustic version by Nas... beautiful thing
Quote by mr. broken
Cypress Hill - Rock Superstar
Fear Factory & Cypress Hill - Back the **** Up
Run DMC % Aerosmith - Walk this Way
Anthrax & Public Enemy - Bring the Noise
Public Enemy - Sophisticated Bitch
Ice T - The Girl Tried to Kill Me

All I know from the top of my head.

Other stuff by those same groups too. (Public Enemy are awesome)

Yeah, add Beastie Boys and Rage. (arguably hip-hop, but whatever...)

Great point about learning some funk. There's a cover floating around of Lionel Ritchie and Rob Zombie doing Brick House. It sounds like it would be awful, but it's really quite amazingly awesome.

Eminem also uses samples of Dream On in his song "Sing for the Year" or whatever it is.

There's also a song that uses the guitar lick from Steve Miller's 'The Joker' combined with Juice Newton's "Angel of the Morning." It was pretty popular for about 2-3 weeks a couple of years ago.

Also, staying old-school. Tone Loc used guitar parts from Foreigner and Van Halen.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by thedudemeister

to the fag that wrote that....yeah ur a dumb f*ck!! one learn to have respect for all music and two grow up....

and since no one even really answered this question---here you go this is a list of hip hop tabs-- http://www.hiphopguitartabs.com/
I also heard a phat arrangement of "HEY YA" by Andre 3000, aka nookie possum king the 3rd, aka sir lucious left foot.........

It was all acoustic, its on the site i think. I actually heard it on the show "scrubs" ( i was at my in-laws) i didnt recognize it at first then i started to notice i knew the words haha !!

Tech any song can be transposed to guitar, just might be lame considering usually there is just a basic hook. Like "gin n juice" two chords but its a blast at parties!!!
Quote by Czizzle

Either

Whoa! Hip hop is sophisticated!
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Page 1 of 2