This may not belong here but it's aimed towards guitar players anyways.
so I have some questions

1) Did you successfully shred, sweep, and that jazz before you learned theory? or did you learn theory just to do that.

2) How old were you when you learned theory?

3) What genres do you think are most affected by learning theory?

4) Does learning theory make stuff easier to play because you understand it?

The reason I'm posting this is I'm in the first stages of theory and it's already kind of confusing. I'm 13 and idk if I'm intelligent enough to take it all in. I'm not saying I'm stupid but some of the phrases like Triads and Augmented kinda get me messed up. So what are your comments? I AM going to learn theory I'm just not sure if now is a good time. Thanks

ONE LAST QUESTION What system did you use to learn?
I'm using this: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html
is this ok?
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Last edited by shredforbread33 at Apr 18, 2008,
1. learned as i went

2. 17

3. all, except punk

4. HELL YES

You can learn it, just keep doin it, it doesnt take that long to understand it
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Age shouldn't really make a difference. If you're young and determined it would make little difference than if you were an adult. Sure there is some new vocabulary (Which will be an obstacle at first) but it's just as new and intimidating whether you're 13 or 64. Sure your mind may not be fully developed, but it isn't rocket surgery.
D:
Signature.
Well I'm 13, got my own guitar when I turned 13 and I'm going to be 14 in about 3 months.

I learned theory right away...not sure if it counts for anything, but I'm Gifted (not like I think I'm better than anyone, but I am legally know as Gifted in 2 different school boards). I'm told I have a better memory that most kids my age, when I try to learn something...for example, guitar. If I were to try to memorize something i don't want to know about, it won't happen. So really, whether I can say that I have better memory than most kids, its all about what matters to you
I think the important thing is that you have to want to play guitar to be able to play it well, because I believe that allows you to connect to your guitar. Same thing with theory, I didn't remember any of the stuff I learned when I didn't feel like learning

Try to feel like learning theory, have fun with it...otherwise, you might not remember or learn anything.
Alright thanks guys! I'm definitely going to stick with it.
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by shredforbread33
Alright thanks guys! I'm definitely going to stick with it.

Lol, you sound like me when I started learning theory and came here for advice
Quote by Green RATM Day
Lol, you sound like me when I started learning theory and came here for advice

That means I have hope!

Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by shredforbread33
That means I have hope!

Yep...but sounding like me might be a bad thing

Just kidding...

I think...
Quote by shredforbread33
This may not belong here but it's aimed towards guitar players anyways.
so I have some questions

1) Did you successfully shred, sweep, and that jazz before you learned theory? or did you learn theory just to do that.

2) How old were you when you learned theory?

3) What genres do you think are most affected by learning theory?

4) Does learning theory make stuff easier to play because you understand it?

The reason I'm posting this is I'm in the first stages of theory and it's already kind of confusing. I'm 13 and idk if I'm intelligent enough to take it all in. I'm not saying I'm stupid but some of the phrases like Triads and Augmented kinda get me messed up. So what are your comments? I AM going to learn theory I'm just not sure if now is a good time. Thanks

Don't sweat it. You will not be able to soak everything up like a sponge at your age; you have to be patient. But the younger you start, the easier it will be later. Some kids can do math really well while others are in college before it really clicks and calculus makes sense. Same with all other areas of study: it is a matter of individual ability. But at least you are learning to play the instrument and understand theory, while others your age are wasting time with video games.

Stick with it.
Quote by Chorduroy
Don't sweat it. You will not be able to soak everything up like a sponge at your age; you have to be patient. But the younger you start, the easier it will be later. Some kids can do math really well while others are in college before it really clicks and calculus makes sense. Same with all other areas of study: it is a matter of individual ability. But at least you are learning to play the instrument and understand theory, while others your age are wasting time with video games.

Stick with it.

Thank you
Most of the time when I post stuff like this it's a big smack down..
BTW I don't have cable or video games any more so most of my time is dedicated to guitar playing.. and UG
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by shredforbread33
One last thing
Im using this http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html
Is that ok?
Also what did you use to learn?

Read these too...

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=crusade&w=columns
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

^^Hm that's pretty cool
but I went to the first lesson and it's kinda based towards keyboards..where the one I'm using is for guitar..
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by shredforbread33
^^Hm that's pretty cool
but I went to the first lesson and it's kinda based towards keyboards..where the one I'm using is for guitar..

In all honesty theory is theory, it applies universally to all instruments.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
In all honesty theory is theory, it applies universally to all instruments.

Yeah I know but is the instructional and the thing you gave me a good way to learn? Or should I use the other one.
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
The Crusade articles are more of an introduction to why you should learn theory and how it can help you. Ideally you should just read and absorb as much as possible...it's all talking about the same thing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
The Crusade articles are more of an introduction to why you should learn theory and how it can help you. Ideally you should just read and absorb as much as possible...it's all talking about the same thing.

Looking out for dud sites is important though. I've been on a fair few different theory sites and it isn't uncommon to see two sites saying the exact opposite of each other.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Theory opened up a lot for me with altering chords and using scales. Now I understand how to phrase and resolve scales/licks much better and can spice up my chords on the fly somewhat. I just started learning a few months ago, but I have seen a vast improvement in my playing.
Theory and everything related to it is the language of music.

So the better you understand the language the better you can communicate and express yourself fully with music.
Do yourself a big favour and take some lessons from a good teacher too. It'll give you lots of help with technique and in the process stop you from forming bad habits.

No matter what; keep at it and remember it's all about little step, little step....standstill, BIG step. You'll know it when you hit big steps from the huge grin.

Give 'er
82 Ibanez artist ar105
94 Fender MIJ 72 tele custom reissue
04 prs se soapbar singlecut
97 Simon & Patrick pro flame maple
05 Art & Lutherie cedar 12
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Quote by Guitarminator
Do yourself a big favour and take some lessons from a good teacher too. It'll give you lots of help with technique and in the process stop you from forming bad habits.

No matter what; keep at it and remember it's all about little step, little step....standstill, BIG step. You'll know it when you hit big steps from the huge grin.

Give 'er

Well I don't know if my Mom has the money to support lessons and as of now I'm not old enough to work. But what you were saying about little step little step and then standstill, I'm definitely in my standstill but I feel learning theory will be my big step forwards.

And as said above about spicing up chords and such I just read about Major, Minor, Augmented, Diminished and what they do and I think as I apply those to chords I already know I'll be able to spice up my playing a bit. So I'm already sorta reaping the benefits already!!
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112