Ok, here's the story. Me and my band practice every Saturday. We recently got a new drummer and recorded an EP. Last Saturday the drummers dad told us that he gave our EP to a guy he knows and he really liked it.

Now the guy he gave it to wants to pay for us to practice on Wednesdays too and he wants to come and see us practice. He gave the drummers dad £100 for us to play free for 7 weeks. I'm not complaining because that is very good news for us, we can get ALOT more done with the extra practice, and we don't have to pay for it.

What I don't understand is he says he wants to "sponsor" us. I have no idea what this means...he would like us to put a link to him on our myspace. Does this seem a little weird to you guys?
wats an EP?

sponsoring means helping you financially, the catch: advertisement for the sponsor.
for example: adidas pays sport teams to wear their kits for advertisement.
An EP as defined by wikipedia:

Extended play (EP) is the name typically given to vinyl records or CDs which contain more music than a single, but are too short to qualify as albums. Usually, an EP has around 10–20 minutes of music, a single has up to 10 minutes and an album has 30–80 minutes.

I realise what sponsoring like that is. But we are a pretty much an unknown unsigned band that haven't gigged yet. Seems to me like he is loosing out unless we become signed.
He pays you to link to him, he gets publicity. That's how it works.
Quote by maggot9779
An LP is a full album that are on vinyl records as far as I know.
An LP is just a full album. They can be on cd too, as far as I know.

I'd take the sponsorship.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Zycho
He pays you to link to him, he gets publicity. That's how it works.

Yea but what I don't get is we are relatively unknown/no giging experience. Surely he would be better off sponsoring some other local band.....I dunno...maybe he see's potential in us or something.

Oh and we have already accepted. We practiced this Wednesday for free and got a new song in the works
Quote by thedefrockednun
and an LP???

That stands for a band named Linkin Park. Noone bothers to tell them they spelled Lincoln wrong...
why does he want to be linked to? whats he sponsoring you for? usually bands would get sponsors off a music shop or clothing line or something

is he proposing to be your manager or something?

if not and hes just some random old guy that wants to pay and come down to watch you practice then thats just a tiny bit creepy.....
Quote by FuzzyBear
why does he want to be linked to? whats he sponsoring you for? usually bands would get sponsors off a music shop or clothing line or something

is he proposing to be your manager or something?

if not and hes just some random old guy that wants to pay and come down to watch you practice then thats just a tiny bit creepy.....

I dunno, I dunno, I dunno and yep its a little creepy lol...
I have no idea what he does, I was told about this last Saturday and I didn't ask lol I'll ask tomorrow though.

The songs are in my profile, I doubt they'd be your thing judging by your username
Well whatever he does, I should imagine his company logo or something will soon be apprearing on all your posters, CDs ect. Which is fair enough, that is after all what he's paying you for.
Even for a small company in a small town sponsoring a small band, it makes pretty good business sense, for just a couple of hundred quid, every time you gig, his company name is going to be everywhere, well, as long as you advertise your gigs well, and if you play out of town, his advertising goes with you, thus gaining him business from new places.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Apr 18, 2008,