Hi All,

I'm pretty new on here and thought I'd ask (a possible nooB) a question. I've played on and off for a long time, and I'm back on the scene and strumming regularly again for the first time in about 5 years.

I'm currently "hot rodding" my old Sunn Mustang with a pair of humbuckers and a few hardware upgrades. It was my first guitar and i'll never get rid, so i thought I'd make it sound a bit different (well i hope it does anyway!) to my main guitar, a MIJ strat.

Whilst trawling ebay for bits for my sunn and generally looking at gear, I was amazed at the amount of parts avaliable second hand, and i thought if my sunn project works OK when finished then i might take it one step further next time.

Has anyone on here built a guitar from seperate parts?

I'm not sure what I'd get (I always plan my next project way before starting it ) but I'm thinking something telecaster flavour.

Now, could I simply buy say, a squier tele body, a fender tele neck, some random pickups and it would all bolt together- or do you have to be very careful with which parts fit together properly? I'm particularly worried about which neck would fit which body.

I'm no luthier by any stretch of the imagination, but i can bolt a few parts together with a bit of effort and tweaking no problems.

Any thoughts on this idea in general, or will it be far too difficult to get parts to match up?

Many thanks in advance
Apologies- proper nooB mistake, i've just spotted the "gear building and customizing" forum- I guess i should have posted it in there

Sorry about that
its super easy. I mated a destroyed Cort strat and a destroyed Fender strat into one usuable guitar. The parts didnt really match perfectly, but with a little know how you can make it work great. There's also an entire forum on building guitars/luthier stuff, go check that out.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
Great stuff- thanks for that

Yep I'd just discovered the other forum after posting- proper nooB mistake- i hang my head in shame
before you did that, you should walk into a guitar store and maybe bring a mini measuring tape with you for the dimensions of the connection.

come to think of it, i remember seeing an ad at the back of a guitar mag saying that they had custom guitar parts for shipping. you might want to check out sources like that. in the picture they had fender head stocks and jackson head stocks + the neck and probably fretboard. of course keep in mind the wood types and such. what are you going to do with the electronics? surely you aren't going to keep the squire pups and all of that stuff?

also, remember to check the weight ratio of the pieces. you don't want to get a neck heavy guitar if that's not really your style.

you know what i wish i could get?

a prestige S ibanez with a jackson headstock... i want to keep the ibanez neck though. I'm picky like that! haha
*thread moved to correct section, thanks moderators*

Right I've had a read though lots of the info in this forum over the last week, some great stuff in here- and I think I'll keep an eye on ebay and see if I can pick up a couple of bargain parts over the next few months whilst I finish my sunn project. So basically, i fancy having a go at it

As far as pickups go, I have a couple of humbuckers left over from the sunn project which I havent used, I'm not sure on the spec but I think the neck one was off an epi classic and the bridge one was an alnico aftermarket jobber, I have the specs written down somewhere. I was going to make my own pickguard and wire them in to the sunn, but I ended up buying a loaded fender double fat scratchplate with tex mex buckers- in other words I got lazy.

So, as I've decided I'd like to try this, has anyone ever had trouble mating random telecaster necks and bodies together?
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
Quote by Dan_Q
Has anyone on here built a guitar from seperate parts?

Most of the people who cruise this forum did that when they were fetuses.

Yes it is absolutely possible, and actually I'm doing it right now! It is SO much fun and a great learning experience! I say go for it, and if you run into problems of any kind, we can probably help you.

Necks and bodies that aren't made for each other don't often fit perfectly. With some very simple and mild wood working (i.e. sanding a bit, or shimming a bit) that anyone could do, any neck and body that have the same shape (i.e. square neck heel, square pocket) can be made to fit. You just need to make sure the neck is the right scale for the bridge position. As long as the distance between the nut&twelfth fret, and the bridge&twelfth fret are the same, you're ok.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Superb great info, many thanks for that

once i start getting a few parts, expect some really stupid questions

U-G nooB

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. And only smart people actually strive to know more information. Therefor one who asks a seemingly stupid question is far smarter than one who does not.

Sorry my brain is working overtime at the moment. It makes me sort of crazy. Just a while ago I locked myself in a closet, believing I was an orange... I was very afraid of getting peeled.

Anyways yeah we will try to answer all your questions, and don't forgot the pictures! A new build is always great!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Oh yeah I guess not a lot of places ship there, and those that do must be very expensive.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
man if I lived in argentina I would just love the weather! I'm stuck here in Canada. It snows 8 months of the year.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Dan_Q, you can buy MIM Fender bodies with the bridge and other hardware for $50 from evilBay, if you're patient and good in sniping. Same thing with Fender necks. Another option is Craigslist. There are awesome bargains if you're patient.

Most Fender and Squier bodies and necks are interchangeable. The bridge is a different story, depending on where and when they were made and the models.

There are also some different brands with parts that will work together. As mentioned above, you have to measure, and measure it twice, thrice.

Unlike some folks here, I don't have the chops and tools to build from scratch; so, to satisfy the bug, I assemble from parts and finish them myself. Good Luck with your hunting!

Quote by divinorum69
I wish i could buy things of ebay, its so difficult here in argentina. jaja, since i joined UG forum ive been wanting to build my own guitar.

Check out Yahoo Auctions! Another option is order from luthiers in Brazil, your neighbor. When I visited Brazil, I bought some bodies made from exotic woods. Good Luck!

0ttar> cheers for that, I wont feel such an idiot once the questions start rolling in!

Ippon> great info cheers- so the one too look out for is the bridge. So it could be worth holding out for one still with its bridge then, cheers for that.

Yup I certainly dont have the time or skill to make one from scratch, so scrapyard parts it is!

U-G nooB

What are evilBay and craiglist? I'm assuming... ebay stores or something?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
^ evilBay = ePay = eBay = the Bay

Quote by divinorum69
thanks ill give it a try

were those woods good?
Absolutely! They have so many hard wood species you have to Google them to get a basis for comparing them to more common tonewoods.