A school here sold a bunch of their stuff because something happened and all the equipment in the computer lab was "unusable", and used the funds for new stuff in the school. I figured I'd buy a laptop (its a Dell: Latitude D520) since it was really cheap, it works fine from starting it up, but the school still has the login info installed, so I start at "Press ctrl-alt-delete" and it comes to the login screen (User name:, Password:, Log on to:, etc.). Is there any way to remove ONLY this login process? I'd wipe everything off of it and start fresh but I don't have a Windows XP disk to reinstall the stuff onto it.
By the way, I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to computers, so try not to get technical with me.
I breathe air.
ask the school tech to do it for you, you need the password for an admin account. Oh and if it's XP Pro then no, that's how the login works for the OS.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
ask the school tech to do it for you, you need the password for an admin account. Oh and if it's XP Pro then no, that's how the login works for the OS.

+1
Quote by MrGuitar123
I would imagine you would need a BIOS cracker

Sounds like a plan.
It works.
Quote by Lamont

i once dreamt my wallet was on a helicopter and i chased after it. and eventually i pulled my dick out and lassoed the bottom of the copter and pulled it out of the sky. i woke up screaming
Quote by Vinnie9
Sounds like a plan.
It works.

i looked up some codes, i found a lot for desktops but they dont have any for laptops =/ (I'm trying the desktop ones but none have worked yet, but I can try I guess)
I breathe air.
The BIOS has nothing to do with the operating system's login screen, you know that right? Does the laptop use a Novell client? (most school's use these to connect each computer to the school networks)

I suggest you should just ask the school, but if you don't want to, just download a Windows XP installation disc off of your favourite torrent tracker, burn the .iso as in image, not data, and then reformat.

Oh ya, if it isn't a client, you can download this live Slax linux cd, OPHCrack to crack windows passwords - this is only if there is a xp-like login screen which prompts you for your password because OPHCrack dumps the SAM hashes against rainbow tables to retrieve the password.