Page 1 of 2
im kinda new to playing bass (since late 2007)and i was wondering how exactly to do gallops in finger style like if ther is a special technique or if i just have to practice more (i can play fairly fast as i play rage agianst the machine witch some songs are as fast as some iron maiden)

also while im on the topic what are some good songs to start on for gallops (im thinking muse or iron maiden but there might be something with less note changes)barracuda by heart is gallops to isnt it?

one more thing i also sing for my band and was wondering if anyone has any tips on being able to play and sing at the same time
Last edited by everything_rock at Apr 19, 2008,
It's just a matter of slowing it down, getting it clean (cleanliness is important) and speeding it up.

It took me a good couple weeks to really get down the 8th 16th 16th gallops going.

So yeah, as with many things, take it slow and work it up

EDIT: didn't feel like reposting... (while on the subject of gallops) Does anyone know how many fingers Steve Harris uses? I've heard 2 or 3... But I saw a DVD of Iron Maiden and his whole hand is just going ****ing nuts and I'm not sure if it's 2, 3, or 4
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Last edited by King Of Suede at Apr 17, 2008,
[quote="(i can play fairly fast as i play rage agianst the machine and fall out boy)[/QUOTE"]
two bands that should never be in the same sentence
I personally use the three finger approach, with my index finger playing the 8th note, and the middle and ring fingers playing the 16ths. However, it is very possible with only 2 fingers, just requires practice both ways.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Apr 19, 2008,
Iron Maiden stuff is classic for learning gallops. The Trooper, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Killers, Run to the Hills, the list the goes on and on forever. I find galloping with three fingers to be piss easy. I use 3-2-1, but use whatever feels most comfortable. 2 finger galloping is much more difficult IMO. You won't get Steve's emphasis with 3, but you'll play the notes.
Playing and singing is about coordination. You also need to be able to play a lot of stuff without staring at the fretboard, and you need to distinguish what you're playing from what you're singing.

And I believe Harris used three fingers.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
The gallops is the first thing I mastered on the bass (I play for like a month ) and I do'em with three fingers. They're kinda sheety, and they sound like three 32's and a little break.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Iron Maiden stuff is classic for learning gallops. The Trooper, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Killers, Run to the Hills, the list the goes on and on forever. I find galloping with three fingers to be piss easy. I use 3-2-1, but use whatever feels most comfortable. 2 finger galloping is much more difficult IMO. You won't get Steve's emphasis with 3, but you'll play the notes.

+1

i've found moondance by nightwish is good for practising gallops too, though i still need to work with that, i've been going with the rhythm of the strings rather than the actual bassline lol
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Quote by gywo copta
Playing and singing is about coordination. You also need to be able to play a lot of stuff without staring at the fretboard, and you need to distinguish what you're playing from what you're singing.

And I believe Harris used three fingers.

He uses two, and has said so in various interviews.

As other have said, just play very slowly, working on getting the technique perfect. Speed will then come with time.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
He uses two, and has said so in various interviews.

How the heck do you do it with two?
With tonnes and tonnes of practice. Iron Maiden have been going for a long time lol.

I find it easy to use 3 fingers, but I don't feel I get the emphasis the same as I do with two. But I admit galloping with 2 fingers is pretty tricky. Grab the metronome and work your way up slowly whilst galloping.
signature
Quote by SHEEM

121 212 121 212 I assume.

It isn't as naturally fast as 3 finger technique, but it isn't that tricky to do.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I dont even know what all this 8th 16th and 1 2 3 is..
Quote by MoshPitRock
ANIMALS LIE DOWN.
that's just what they do.
there's probably humans doing the same thing.
quit being so paranoid.

Quote by Teh_Asian_Pro
I dont even know what all this 8th 16th and 1 2 3 is..

8th and 16th are different types of notes.

1, 2 and 3 are the numbers of the fingers being used.

I use both the three finger and two finger method. I've got both of them down to where they sound exactly the same. Just practice, practice, and practice. A metronome really helps, aswell as just playing along with the Iron Maiden songs as the bass is easy to hear.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
i always prusumed you were talking about timing like 4/4 or 2/4 or are you talking about 8th Fret 16th fret
Quote by fatgoogle
i always prusumed you were talking about timing like 4/4 or 2/4 or are you talking about 8th Fret 16th fret

Nah, we're talking about 8th notes and 16th notes. 8th notes are notes that last for 1/8th of a bar and 16th notes are twice as quick, being 1/16th of a bar.

So a Maiden gallop ( I think) is, for example:

16th, 16th, 8th. 16th, 16th, 8th.

That's how it creates the galloping effect.
signature
Last edited by Bullet-Rule at Apr 18, 2008,
Quote by death101
two bands that should never be in the same sentence

Correct. **** Fall Out Boy.
Quote by Bullet-Rule
Nah, we're talking about 8th notes and 16th notes. 8th notes are notes that last for 1/8th of a bar and 16th notes are twice as quick, being 1/16th of a bar.

16th, 16th, 8th. 16th, 16th, 8th.

That's how it creates the galloping effect.

In a bar of 4 crotchets (quarter notes) .

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1

16th, 16th, 8th. 16th, 16th, 8th

Most of Maiden's are usually 8th 16th 16th, but it's the same technique to play both. Practice and build up.
Two good slower gallop Maiden songs to practice not mentioned here yet are:
Stranger In A Strange Land
Flight Of Icarus
The Evil That Men Do is fantastic for gallop practice. Not only does it have nicely paced gallops, but has that little bit before "Living on a razor's edge" which is in 8ths, and then back into gallop. Gives good practice in moving in and out of a gallop.
Quote by gm jack
121 212 121 212 I assume.

It isn't as naturally fast as 3 finger technique, but it isn't that tricky to do.

I do 212 212 212, and it is much easier for me to stay in a gallop than 121 212 121; I find that I eventually stray into straight eighths or sixteenths. Three finger galloping is easier but two finger gallops sound nicer imo.
I find it easiest to just roll from my ring finger to my index finger. The pause to "reset" your hand is just enough to keep time. I also find the motion more natural than 1-2-3 galloping.

also, smeats?
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
I really would like to gallop with 3 fingers, but I just...stole Harris's technique. I've been using it for the better half of a year now so it's just completely natural to me, and using three fingers for it seems so...odd. I guess I should just practice.

I suppose the moral of this post is: No one way is particularly easy, it's just finding what's most comfortable for you and practicing it over and over and over.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I personally use the three finger approach, with my index finger playing the quarter note, and the middle and ring fingers playing the 16ths. However, it is very possible with only 2 fingers, just requires practice both ways.

I prefer 3 fingers myself doing 3-2-1-3-2-1 etc.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
For gallops I start the first sixteenth note with my middle finger and play
2-3-1-2-3-1 and use my index for the eighth note.
For an even note pattern, I go 3-2-1-3-2-1.
I never noticed that was what I was doing until someone pointed out the difference.
Quote by SHEEM

Quite easy... I go much faster with two than with three fingers

1-2-1 2-1-2 1-2-1
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I play with 2 fingers all the time, mainly because I find it easier to do fills with only 2 fingers, but also because Steve ONLY uses two fingers.

And just to prove my point: Only two fingers
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
I play gallops with fingers this way: 1-1-2 1-1-2 1-1-2 1-1-2
"When i've got the music
I've got a place to go"

Quote by watchingmefall
Goog luck killing everybody at VH1.

Member #37 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!
Quote by hippiebass
I do 212 212 212, and it is much easier for me to stay in a gallop than 121 212 121; I find that I eventually stray into straight eighths or sixteenths. Three finger galloping is easier but two finger gallops sound nicer imo.

Hate to say it, but bad technique.
That's called raking.
I hate to be a Nazi about it... But my teachers and instructors ragged on me about it for a while, sooz I'm just trying to help.
It's really proper technique to use 12121212 ect. and then "rake" when moving down a string.
just to let you know.
I understand the problem, but it's the same advice we're giving the ts. start slow, build up WITH PROPER TECHNIQUE.
You'll find that when you go 121 212 121 212, it'll seems allot more natural because your next finger will already be above the string you're plucking
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by King Of Suede
Hate to say it, but bad technique.
That's called raking.

What he described is certainly not raking. You even said yourself what raking was in your post. Raking is sweeping through a string and play the string below with the same finger. Raking isn't playing "212 212 212 212"

And anyway, if he's more comfortable and can play gallops with the "212 212 212" style fluidly and effectively... why stop? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I prefer to use 1-2-1 1-2-1. I find it more comfortable, and I can do it much faster than I can with 1-2-3.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by Deliriumbassist
What he described is certainly not raking. You even said yourself what raking was in your post. Raking is sweeping through a string and play the string below with the same finger. Raking isn't playing "212 212 212 212"

And anyway, if he's more comfortable and can play gallops with the "212 212 212" style fluidly and effectively... why stop? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I was under the impression that raking was plucking with the same finger any more than one time before the other finger plucks (i.e. 212 212, or 121 121, or 112 112 are some things I've seen in this thread)
And I was taught that it was wrong to do when playing on the same string on going up a string and it was only ok when moving down a string. Ya dig?
Quote by Banjocal
Quote by King Of Suede
I was under the impression that raking was plucking with the same finger any more than one time before the other finger plucks (i.e. 212 212, or 121 121, or 112 112 are some things I've seen in this thread)
And I was taught that it was wrong to do when playing on the same string on going up a string and it was only ok when moving down a string. Ya dig?

It's not really a good idea to use it ever. At least when starting out.

212 212 212 is just his way of playing gallops. It's not a particularily economic, but there we go.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by King Of Suede

Raking is definately "raking through" a string onto the string below. It's a main component of economic right hand technique. It's much more economic to sweep through than to use the other finger on the string below. It's effectively economy picking.
i just decided to (as some would say finally) ditch the pick and use my fingers instead. and i can use two fingers alternating to play like straight 8ths and at some tempos 16ths. now im trying to relearn some Iron Maiden songs (particularly the trooper) using my fingers and the galloping is killing me. i can use the 3-2-1 technique on the E and the G string fine with no problem but using it on the A and D string is a problem for me. i anchor my thumb on the E when i pick the A and A when i pick the D. is that a problem or am i just in need of more practice?
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
i can use the 3-2-1 technique on the E and the G string fine with no problem but using it on the A and D string is a problem for me. i anchor my thumb on the E when i pick the A and A when i pick the D. is that a problem or am i just in need of more practice?

A lot of bassists, me included, anchor the thumb on different strings when playing. If it interfers with the notes sounding, or causes you wrist discomfort, then it is bad.
Start slow and get your technique down and then tackle 'The Trooper'. It's easier to get it crisp at a slower tempo and then speed up, then sloppy at a faster tempo and try to clean it up. A number of mid-tempo gallops were mentioned in this thread. 'Flight of Icarus' for the same album as Trooper is a great one".
"Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner" has a slower gallop section with 16th fills mixed in and is a great endurance test.
Or use a drum machine or click track and practice to that.
Page 1 of 2