Hey everyone i really need help. So here goes.

My friend's dad owns a recording station but theres bad tone. I use a Randall RM50B for my amp and a DS-1 pedal for distortion and in this video I'm using my B.C. Rich Warlock NJ series with EMGS. Anyway I'm gonna post a video of just how bad my tone is and what i can do to fix it. Its recorded through a cable in the back of my amplifier so its not mic'ed up like i would hope it would be =/. But i still think i should be getting better quality sound than this.

Any help would be great =) thanks
Kyle.

Please disregard **** playing cause this was just to test how everything sounded together so it was all improvised and other recordings are on here: http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/gbkk/

The Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mt9mfrmKaM
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
That's more or less how you can expect it to sound through a distortion pedal and a direct out...

Mic up that speaker!
Yeah the taste of our music is what we like if you don't like it then you can leave.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by MrPillow
That's more or less how you can expect it to sound through a distortion pedal and a direct out...

Mic up that speaker!

x2.

You may also want to try using leveling amplifiers like the FMR RNLA, which should give you a nicer thicker tone if used properly. It's $250...and I've heard it can do really nice stuff with voice and bass (though it's a more round tone...I don't know if it's good for screamo). Also, using software limiters/multiband compressors like the Ozone Izotope ($200, and competes with the best from Waves and Universal Audio) should make your mix louder and more clear if used properly.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
If used properly yes. I however have seen many many mixes absolutely ruined after inexperienced users tried to stick a multiband compressor or limiter on their master bus. Try to keep use of such tools to a minimum if you aren't entirely sure what you're doing with them.

i.e, if you don't know what the ratio setting on your compressor does, you probably should leave it out of the signal chain
Well this also was recorded live too since it was a video so no EQing or anything was done. Just played and taped but the sound is being recorded through comp. But Fast Fingers thanks for the input. I am looking for a thicker tone. I hate to have a really Trebley Sound yet i like the chug sound. So i'll look into some of the stuff you said. =)
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Also sorry for double post but i have no experience with Compressors/Limiters or any of those types of software. Could someone show me some kinda tutorial on the use of either?
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
http://www.tweakheadz.com/compressors.htm

And Pillow, it's true that if he doesn't know he shouldn't touch if he's making a recording to master, but he should experiment so he'll understand the next time around.

And the short story:
Compressors try to keep an average volume level in your signal, so soft parts are louder and loud parts are tempered.
Limiters (often bundled with compressors in plugins) jack up the volume to the point before distortion occurs, and often use compression (usually very sharp ones with a very tight threshold) to achieve this.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Yes he should experiment, but I'd do it on a neutral sound source, not the track youre trying to fix.

Fingers pretty much summed up compression and limiting, although it should be noted that with the ammount of limiting applied, the thd of a sound goes up, and always in the form of nasty sounding square waves. The more you limit, the less of the original source will come through.
welcome to the impossible world of trying to get your distorted guitar to sound good in recordings. it's like impossible, but you do get better at it. some things that will steer you more on the right path...

you really gotta mic that amp to even start getting close. i would recommend a shure sm-57 if you can afford it(~$100). placing the mic is also important, unplug the guitar and turn up the amp until you get prominent hiss, thing use headphones to listen to mic sound while moving it on the boom stand. where the hiss sounds the loudest is where you mic needs to be(this is simple form, some people specific placements like off axis and head on and a bunch others, this will get you in ball park until you have a personal preference)

if you still wanna go direst then you should probably at least get a direct box, behringer sells one for like 40 bucks that is supposed to simulate a 4x12 cabinet, just go to musician's friend in look for DI or direct in boxes, theres a bunch

ds-1's kinda sound crappy, sorry but it is just the truth. i have heard that running 'sagged' batteries gives you a better tone with DS-1's, or maybe just different tone. the act of sagging a battery is using a battery that has hardly any charge left in it, i have a friend that keeps a bag of rechargeable that are almost dead near his play area. you may wanna try using amp distortion if it has any.

cutting distortion also helps recording distortion tones, doesn't sound like it makes sense but it works

and to tell you the truth, i listened to the recording and that is really not that bad a tone for what you are doing, i have heard worse. just keep messing with it and it will come
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae