So, I recently bought a Dean Markley Promag Plus pickup and I"m furious. I don't know if it's how I'm playing or what but it makes lots of feedback and not volume at all. Like I turned my amp (the amps not specificly for acoustics) to 10 and on my electric guitar it's almost that loud on 3 or 4. I figured that if I got a compresser it might help the volume problem. Think it would work?
A Compressor "compresses" the signal, rounding out highs and lows; it won't take care of your volume problem.

Try adjust the pickup placement and connections?
My God, it's full of stars!
well, I wasn't really thinking about the time considering this is the acoustic forum and I'm usual at the electric.which always has like 5 times more people veiweing
Quote by Lucas Bundy MAN
well, I wasn't really thinking about the time considering this is the acoustic forum and I'm usual at the electric.which always has like 5 times more people veiweing

And 5 times the percentage of nonquality responses
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Lucas Bundy MAN
So, I recently bought a Dean Markley Promag Plus pickup and I"m furious. I don't know if it's how I'm playing or what but it makes lots of feedback and not volume at all. Like I turned my amp (the amps not specificly for acoustics) to 10 and on my electric guitar it's almost that loud on 3 or 4. I figured that if I got a compresser it might help the volume problem. Think it would work?

Here's your problem. You bought a PASSIVE pickup while expecting the signal to be as high output as your electric guitar. There is your problem. A passive pickup usually requires a preamp. A decent preamp will cost you around $200. The amp really doesnt have anything to do with it.
those pickups just don't have that high of an output. they are slightly adjustable. you can try moving the pickup closer to the strings. this will increase your volume a tad, but not that much. if you want to get a lot of volume, you're going to need something to boost the signal. a preamp or di box as captivate suggested would be the best thing for this.

another thing you can try is using your distortion pedal if you have one. i used to run one of these into a boss ds-1 and then into the amp. with some tweaking and such you can get the sound nearly back to the way it was without the pedal and you will get a lot more volume. feedback is still going to be an issue. with an acoustic guitar without a preamp or di box with a notch filter, feedback is just a problem you have to deal with. try moving the amp around and facing it in different directions. this isn't the greatest solution, but it's the only solution that doesn't require you to spend any money on a preamp or di box.
Quote by captivate
Here's your problem. You bought a PASSIVE pickup while expecting the signal to be as high output as your electric guitar. There is your problem. A passive pickup usually requires a preamp. A decent preamp will cost you around $200. The amp really doesnt have anything to do with it.

I think it's been established that you need a preamp, but you needn't spend $200, this is a good quality preamp - should be about $70.