I searched and couldn't find anything bass related. I've only been playing bass for about a year and recently started learning some RHCP. Flea uses a lot of muted notes but I'm not entirely sure what they are. Here is an example from their song Don't Forget Me.
__________ ____________
/1st Ending\ / 2nd Ending \
G[-9--x-xx-x--5-x-xx-x-12-x-xx-x-7-][x-xx-x--] [-xx-x--]
D[-7--x-xx-x--3-x-xx-x-10-x-xx-x-5-][x-xx-x--] [-xx-x--]
A[-----------------------------------------][----------] [--------]
E[-----------------------------------------][----------] [--------]

Now I don't really have any idea what I'm supposed to be doing with either hand. Sorry if I come off as mildly retarded but this is bugging me. Thanks in advance for the help!
Quote by max355
Hating the 49rs is like hating the retarded kid in class.

The Cowboys, weed, and bass. My three loves
Literally put your fretting hand on the strings, but don't push down on the strings. Just place your hands on the strings. This will provide the mute.

Then use your picking hand and strum the necessary strings

End of.

Hope that helps.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

or you could just slap the strings with your picking hand and make sure they don't make a note with your fret hand, which is essentially what the other guy says...but you don't even have to pick. i haven't heard this song, but from flea's usual style, instead of picking the muted notes just hit the strings...if you can get what i'm saying.
Quote by metaldud536
Because there is a bomb in the lasagna!

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
make loud howling noises and throw your feces at them whenever they bring it up, I suggest that your GF does the same.
So it should make a almost a dead flattish sound? Like a quite thud thud thud? If that's the case that seems a lot easier than I thought. I just finished learning slapping which was hard for me to get down so I'm gonna be real happy if that's what it is.

Thanks for all the fast and kind responses.
Quote by max355
Hating the 49rs is like hating the retarded kid in class.

The Cowboys, weed, and bass. My three loves