I always hear the first thing you should learn is chord theory for beginner guitar players.. Every site i've been to doesn't eplain in a simple way, it says stuff about the circle of fifths and what not. I just want to be able to grab the chords of a song and pop out a strumming pattern, I see the "how to learn this song" on youtube and all they have is the label of the chords and the playing slowed down slightly. Is there some sort of trick into training your ears to be able to pick up the patterns?

(background info) I've been playing guitar for about 2 years,on and off but I'm really good at picking, I know a few scales along with the blues scale, I can finger the chords but I just can't get any of the patterns down.)

Thanks in advance for the help.
Okay I don't really know what you mean, and I don't know a thing about guitar theory, but if you're basically asking about basic chords and how to pick them up, I'd say barre chords are kind of a good way to figure out chords for songs and stuff. If you know barre chords and that has nothing to do with what your saying, fair enough. Personally, though, I can usually pick up a song really quick just by playing along barre chords and you know, figuring out that's a D, or if it sounds only kind of like a d I'll play it in a 6th form or a minor and usually I can pick up a chord progression for a song pretty quick. In terms of patterns, since I assume you mean strumming, I think that just sort of comes by ear and sense of rhythm. Hope I could help.
Quote by Tay.luv
I always hear the first thing you should learn is chord theory for beginner guitar players.. Every site i've been to doesn't eplain in a simple way, it says stuff about the circle of fifths and what not. I just want to be able to grab the chords of a song and pop out a strumming pattern, I see the "how to learn this song" on youtube and all they have is the label of the chords and the playing slowed down slightly. Is there some sort of trick into training your ears to be able to pick up the patterns?

(background info) I've been playing guitar for about 2 years,on and off but I'm really good at picking, I know a few scales along with the blues scale, I can finger the chords but I just can't get any of the patterns down.)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Well, I usually try to listen for the root note of the chord. A lot of times, with poppy songs, you can get away with just playing powerchords, and eventually I might notice the pattern of which notes are being used and then think about whether the chord would most likely be major or minor. I don't know. I friend of mine simply figures out the melody, and he'll piece the rest of the song from there. There are a number of approaches, but these are two which I have seen have at least some degree of success.
I'm still a beginner with chords myself but I think you need to first master the basic open chords and barre chords. And as the other poster said, understand how the root note starts and names the chord. I don't know how long I've played open C and G chords without realising that the lowest note of the chord was the C and G respectively. LOL Once you have a firm grasp of that go back and look at the circle of fifths.
Learning basic chord construction theory and having enough ear-training to hear chords on the spot are two very different things though they will both make you that much better at understanding music and becoming a good writer/improviser.

So for what you're asking, it can only come from experience. The simplest way is to try to figure chords out on your guitar while playing the part of the song over and over and over again.

But I highly suggest you look into ear-training.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
okay, I think I understand what y'all mean, I know it was kinda a vague question but you covered it well. I just thought there must be some sort of trick to help, but I get what you guys mean.

Thanks
A good thing to do is try and memorise the chord formula's man, then you can just apply the formula's. Then you will be able to understand chords better. The circle of fifths is not only chord theory it has alot to do with key signature and music in general.