Hey, I heard reference amung guitarists at my school about whammying but without a whammy bar, pedal or bending the neck. Is this possable? If so, how would I do this?
Yeah dude. Level 18 Guitarist can whammy with their minds!
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
whammy bar is that little metal thing that people use all the time on their guitars (located near the bridge)... can move it up or down. these are seen more often than not [not really true, but they are really common]. see: steve vai, joe satriani, etc.
He knows what a whammy bar is i think... and i have no idea what you're talking about.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
If you have a floating tremolo bridge, you can use your hand to move the bridge instead of grabbing the bar. That's the only way I can think of without use of the bar, a pedal, or neck pressure. You can't do dramatic whammy effects that way, but you can get some trem action going.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
^ he knows what a whammy bar is obviously, he was asking if it was possible without a whammy bar.

as far as i know it's not whammying without the bar itself, but you can do it with different tools that do the same thing without it.

really defeats the point of whammying without the bar imo.
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
some call hardcore vibratos whammying. i mean twitching your fretting hand to vibrate the pitch. its essentially the same thing as a whammy bar(called a vibrato, incase you were wondering). mix this technique with a detuned guitar, insane distortion and maybe a pinch harmonic and you've got yourself an awesome "whammy".
hope this helps!
guess i misread it. yea, if you have a floating trem you can use your hand or anything other than a whammy bar, but why would you? i mean, unless you lose the bar itself....
Maybe theyve confused whammy with wah? A lot of people do that...
Were living in a world of fools,breaking us down,when they all should let us be.
Eh, don't think so from the way he said "without bar, pedal, or bending the neck."

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Guitar_Poet
guess i misread it. yea, if you have a floating trem you can use your hand or anything other than a whammy bar, but why would you? i mean, unless you lose the bar itself....

My guitar doesn't have a whammy port. So, I've been looking for alternatives. From the looks of it, I will probly just get a pedal.
TS,its seems somthing got mixed up before the info got to you,because I cant think of any other answer.
Were living in a world of fools,breaking us down,when they all should let us be.
Perhaps they're talking about the Digitech Whammy pedal? That thing is awesome. I plan on getting one once i get a new amp, od pedal and delay pedal and new guitar :P:
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
They all mean totally different things. 'Whammy' isn't an effect, though it's a nickname for a tremolo bar found on many guitars, mostly used to change the pitch of notes by bending them downwards. You can get a similar but much more subtle effect by bending a guitar's neck (I often do so at gigs) but it's only something you do live, for show, rather than a commonly used and useful technique.

A Whammy pedal (the 'Digitech Whammy' is totally different, it uses a rocker pedal to change the pitch of the guitar (think Tom Morello, for example). Quite an advanced effect, and not something most guitarists ever use.
You can do divebombs without a whammy bar by bending the string as high as you can and slowly unbending it, and maybe adding some vibrato on the way down. That's really all I can think of for an answer.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON

I'm level 37, you would squirm if you knew what kind of epic guitar skills I have!
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON

Quote by Riffomatic_5000

I'm level 37, you would squirm if you knew what kind of epic guitar skills I have!

Ok everyone freakin knows you have to beat life twice, run 14 marathons, rebirth and then kill SRV 4 times THEN you can whammy with your mind. Level 37 is pretty good. Kudos
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Neck bending s applying force to the back of the neck by pushing it forward thus lowering pitch. A lot of people freak out by doing this. I do it every now and then and it has no bad effects on my guitar. That said it should ONLY be used very slightly as one can only imagine what will happen if you bend your neck too far.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by .arkness:.
Neck bending s applying force to the back of the neck by pushing it forward thus lowering pitch. A lot of people freak out by doing this. I do it every now and then and it has no bad effects on my guitar. That said it should ONLY be used very slightly as one can only imagine what will happen if you bend your neck too far.

I kinda figured that's what it was but I was like lol. I tried it on my guitar and honestly it doesn't even seem worth doing lol, I could only get maybe a half step down, but I guess I'm new to it and I was being really cautious as I have only one electric and if it breaks it won't get repaired, ever lol.
Quote by edusty2010
I kinda figured that's what it was but I was like lol. I tried it on my guitar and honestly it doesn't even seem worth doing lol, I could only get maybe a half step down, but I guess I'm new to it and I was being really cautious as I have only one electric and if it breaks it won't get repaired, ever lol.

well yeah, you're not going to get much out of it. Its just for a subtle drop in pitch, like when you're playing with feedback or something. You definitely wont get any crazy David Gilmour bends with it (without breaking your guitar)
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
The only way to do that would be waving the neck back and forth while holding the note for a very slight vibrato.
Quote by edusty2010

You can get a half step? I get about an 1/8th to a 1/4 step down.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
or you could just vibrato with your fretting finger????
98% of people have read that stupid 98% teens and alcohol sig, put this in your sig if you like getting hammered.

Thats it.
Quote by freebird_17
or you could just vibrato with your fretting finger????

Not if you want the pitch to go down on a hard tail guitar.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Quote by FLNagle
Not if you want the pitch to go down on a hard tail guitar.

:P

then prebend, durrrrrr

unless you want to divebomb then
98% of people have read that stupid 98% teens and alcohol sig, put this in your sig if you like getting hammered.

Thats it.