On a more serious note, judge my future rig, please.

K, once I get the dough, I'm selling my current amp to my student and buying my friend's amp. I'm aware of the 2-4x wattage of guitar rule, but still have my concerns about this rig.

This amp with a 4x10. 600w SS is just under three times the combined wattage of my guitarists, but I'm thinking that it might not cut it with the 4x10. Thoughts? any cheap, reliable, recommended cabs to replace the one?

Also, have any of you had experience with Mesa Boogie's bass equipment? Even better, have any of you had experience with this amp? From my understanding, I'll basically be stealing his rig and leaving a tip for what he's selling it to me for, but does the Bass Forum think that I'll be able to get a modern, metal-ish, punchy tone out of this amp/rig with enough power to do shows with 240w of guitars?
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
How much ya paying?
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
Mesa Boogie makes some sick guitar amps, but as for bass I'm not positive, but I'm leaning towards it being good.

Tell us what you're paying for it and it could dictate a lot different reply. Try playing it out, see if it works well if you have the opportunity.

With 3x the guitarists watts it should do the trick if you ask me.
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
Yea dud, behringer rox

Try out Ampeg and Ashdown.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
$700 for the amp and cab. Perhaps I overstated it with "stealing his rig and leaving a tip for what he's selling it to me for," but I'm fairly sure I'm getting a hell of a deal.

Ampeg is too far out of my price range, and I've heard too many bad things about any Ashdown that would be in my range. Besides, I'm helping out a friend who's having to give up gigging due to health problems.
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
lol, ashdowns rule, i don't know what you're talking about. for your price range? maybe.

700$ sounds good, test it out though dude, it sounds like you're a good friend with him.
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
mountaindew88 might be able to provide some input as to Mesa Boogie.

As for the wattage, I want to say you'll have enough. How loud do your guitar players crank their amps? Depending on that, I might be wrong. Either way, you'll have to turn up your amp fairly loud to be heard.
Well... if nothing else, you can sell if off for more than you paid for it.

I've heard kinda mediocre things about Mesa bass (hereafter coined "Bass-a"), but I've never tried any myself. As AccidentsHappen said, you should just try it out. If it sounds good, you should go for it. Because Mesa stuff is at least reputably sturdy.

As for cutting through, I don't think 600w driving 4x10 should have any problem cutting through two 100w (right?). Unless like they're sporting 12-inchers and like to set their bass EQ to 11, as it were. In which case, hell, mic/direct out. Teach'em a lesson.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Well, the guitarists have 120w each and usually turn up to about 10:30 when I demand that they turn down because I can't hear myself. They're actually pretty reasonable concerning EQs. They've got good ears. Apparently better than mine because I know I'm not loud enough half the time and they say they can hear me just fine.
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
i personally have heard only goodthings about mesa boogie bass amps from people who have tried them. And it at least looks to be a versatile amp. mesa is of course top quality stuff so if it's supposed to be versatile you shouldn't be let down there.

and as for volume, if your guitarists don't even turn to 12 o'clock you're gonna have plenty of headroom.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
In my opinion, the sound out of a Mesa is one of the richest bass tones Ive ever heard. I tried an Ampeg and then Mesa and there was just no comparison (I tried the 400+ though, so Id have no idea about their cheaper products).
Awesome, glad to hear it. I'll give it a try soon, hopefully. If I end up getting it, I'll have a sweet rig which might be worthy of a URotM, if I'm lucky.
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
How much does the cab run? You might be able to add a 1x15.
Awww, I saw the title and thought 'this is too good to be true'. I was right

Go for an ashdown though, you won't be disappointed.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Try out Ampeg and Ashdown.

Quote by Nightmare_xxx
Go for an ashdown though, you won't be disappointed.

No one reads threads, do they?
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Sorry for the self-bump/double post, but I've got updates. It's looking more and more likely that I'll be buying this rig. He went down on the price and it's now the head, a power conditioner, a rack case thingy, and the cab all for $550. So now, I will be stealing this from him.

However, I still have my concern that the 4x10 won't get me the low end want. It's 600w, plus distortion, so I'll be loud, but will I get the low end with a 4x10?
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist