well my biggest wonder is if i can run a pre amp into a cab directly and will it have any sound. im just curious. will it be loud or quiet? im guessing quiet b/c that would defeat the purpose of a power amp, if it makes any sound at all on its own.

also what are the advantages of having a pre- and power setup over the traditional head?
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
well a power amp is what actually puts out the sound if im not mistaken.
so i dont think you'll hear anything.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
yeah thats what i thot but idk arent some bass amps just preamps? so thats what brought my question. i see the players sometimes with just the pre and no power amp. i have a friend who has a behringer pre and an avatar 4x10 and says he can hardly turn it past 1 without annoying the apartment building so i was like "what the....its just a pre tho, u cant do that". i havent seen it in action but its just what he told me. so thats my confusion.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
He just assumes that it is a pre amp. It is actually a Pre+power amp. Your friend doesn't know what he is talking about.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
heh maybe. he isnt exactly a guitar freak like the most of us. he just happens to have a random bass setup in his apartment. he has a family tho so he cant really commit to being a guitar geek.

but i must admit it does look like a pre amp. altho it had a bottom thing that i assumed was a power amp in my search for figuring out how he could possibly have run it into it his cab. so i guess that was it. so does this mean it just isnt possible to a run a pre without a power?
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
A lot of bass amps do look like preamps, take the Ashdown Superfly for example.

Anyway, run a preamp straight into a cab and you'll likely get no sound at all, or a very faint one if you're lucky. Powered speakers are a different story, but unless they're guitar- or bass-specific it'll be too fizzy and clipped to sound good (unless you use speaker emulation).
No, you can't just run a preamp. It doesn't produce any driving power to the speakers at all. You need a power amp.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.