I'm a beginner guitarist, (as in bought my electric guitar 4 weeks ago), and I want to get better. I am determined and practice atleast two hours a day. The problem is I normally just look at tabs and try to learn songs. So I'm wondering what I should practice and for how long in my routine. Like I said I want it to fit into two hours and I want it to be something consistant. Any help is greatly appreciated. I also have both an electric and acoustic so if there is any specific thing I can on an acoustic for half an hour then go to electric I am capable of doing that.
buy an instructional book. watch videos. that internet thing has a lot of stuff to learn from too.
I've seen one million toilets...

AND I ROCKED THEM ALL!
learning songs is good, and i know its not the fun part, but learn theory, it will make you better.
CARVINITES UNITE!

7th

IV
My Practice Schedule:
  • Technique: Hammer-Ons, Pull-Offs, Chords, Slides, Alternate Picking, Harmonics, Finger Picking
  • Scales: Right now, I just play C and G Major, and A and E Minor. I play the scales, and then the scales in alternating thirds
  • Method Book: I use Mel Bay book. I just play a few exercises each day.
  • Songs: Anything I feel like

This only takes 1/2 hour each day, so you can do much more than this. I just don't have any more time!
Saint Louis Blues
Last edited by The Picker at Apr 18, 2008,
Thanks to all of you, especially Picker, I'm probably gonna do that with a little more emphasis on technique, maybe do each of those for half an hour and any time I go over do on technique. I'm gonna check out that site too, Don.