Alright, so I'm a 17-year old, fairly experienced player (4+) years, pretty advanced in what I'm doing... I play my Schecter through a Mesa Boogie Rectifier combo, and I have a few questions that I've ALWAYS wanted to ask but never really have.

So first off... do people generally not use their amp's distortion channel for distorted tone? I'm really confused about that. Because a lot of people use the Rectifier, but have distortion pedals. What's up with that?? Or do they use both... see that's just confusing to me. Personally I've always thought my amp's distorted tone was fine but I was curious to see what everyone else did and stuff and what the deal with pedals is... and if you would still use the regular footswitch to your amp, etc.

What's the deal with a noise gate? I know it's obviously to reduce the hum and eventual feedback but do they really **** with your tone that much? And also with a pedal like Boss's "compression sustainer"... I was wondering what that would do. I'd like to get more sustain out of my sound but compression sounds like the opposite...? I've noticed that a lot of people can do killer licks almost totally with hammer-ons/pull-offs and it sounds completely clear and they hardly have to pick, but their tone doesn't even sound overly-gained up or anything. And hardly any feedback. THAT IS SOMETHING THAT I'D LIKE TO KNOW... haha.

And generally, when you're playing with a solo tone, what, if anything, do you all add to your sound to get that tone? I've noticed some solo tones that just sound like there's not a lot of effect but they sound like they have a lot of gain but no humm... idk. Sorry I sound like a noob!

These things have always seemed to be things that no one really answered but I've always wanted to know! Thanks a lot you guys.

Ben
I can't speak for everyone but I generally use my amps distortion channels, as tube amp distortion sounds oh so good. Tone is subjective, everyone is different, just do what sounds good to you.

As for the solo tone, I may just put on a TS-9 overdrive just to boost it a little or just up channel volume a bit.

As for the other questions, I can't really help you out, I'm sure other people will.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Quote by Bristlehead
Alright, so I'm a 17-year old, fairly experienced player (4+) years, pretty advanced in what I'm doing... I play my Schecter through a Mesa Boogie Rectifier combo, and I have a few questions that I've ALWAYS wanted to ask but never really have.

So first off... do people generally not use their amp's distortion channel for distorted tone? I'm really confused about that. Because a lot of people use the Rectifier, but have distortion pedals. What's up with that?? Or do they use both... see that's just confusing to me. Personally I've always thought my amp's distorted tone was fine but I was curious to see what everyone else did and stuff and what the deal with pedals is... and if you would still use the regular footswitch to your amp, etc.

What's the deal with a noise gate? I know it's obviously to reduce the hum and eventual feedback but do they really **** with your tone that much? And also with a pedal like Boss's "compression sustainer"... I was wondering what that would do. I'd like to get more sustain out of my sound but compression sounds like the opposite...? I've noticed that a lot of people can do killer licks almost totally with hammer-ons/pull-offs and it sounds completely clear and they hardly have to pick, but their tone doesn't even sound overly-gained up or anything. And hardly any feedback. THAT IS SOMETHING THAT I'D LIKE TO KNOW... haha.

And generally, when you're playing with a solo tone, what, if anything, do you all add to your sound to get that tone? I've noticed some solo tones that just sound like there's not a lot of effect but they sound like they have a lot of gain but no humm... idk. Sorry I sound like a noob!

These things have always seemed to be things that no one really answered but I've always wanted to know! Thanks a lot you guys.

Ben

Let me try and answer some of your questions, lol.

I'm going to say first off that I only own distortion pedals and certain effects, but no sustainers or noise gates.

Distortion pedals seriously work, no matter what amp your playing off of. They always can add a different tone by just a step. So, it's easy to go from a fuzz sound back to your amps normal sound. They also add great tone for soloing. Pedals such as the Ibanez Tube Screamer are great for soloing. Pedals like the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone (I own it) are absolutely outstanding for great distortion, but what I love about it is that it has such a wide range of distortion. So, if you want to tweak your sound, then pedals like these will definitely help, but you'll need to play them before buying.

Sustainers.....where to start? I don't use a sustainer pedal because my guitar has pretty great sustain and I'm just not one of those type's to hold a note for 40 seconds. If you feel that you need more sustain for your guitar, then I would suggest once again that you play one at a local guitar store to feel which one might be right for you.

I have thought about Noise Gate Pedals before. I've also heard that they can really diminish your tone, but it really depends on what your buying. I've heard professional
guitarists and techs suggest the ISP Decimator. I'll provide you with a link at the bottom of the page.

Really, it just comes down to how much you want to tweak your tone. Want more distortion? I suggest the Boss Metal Zone. Need more sustain? The Guyatone 5T-2 or the Boss CS-3 would be pretty good choices. Got too much hum going on? I would go with the Decimator or the MXR Smart Gate.

I hope I've been able to help you, but I probably haven't done anything more than point out the obvious, lol. Here are the links: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-MT2-Metal-Zone-Effects-Pedal?sku=151328
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-TS808-Vintage-Tube-Screamer-Reissue?sku=150343
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guyatone-ST2-Compression-Sustainer-Pedal?sku=155034
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ISP-Technologies-Decimator-Noise-Reduction-Pedal?sku=150368
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
About the distortion pedals, they only work well on the clean channel of an amp.
Overdrive pedals, like the Tubescreamer work with the crunch/lead channel, and work best for tube amps to add more gain.
And the metal zone is by no means a good distortion pedal. There are many better choices out there if you must have one. I don't have much experience with them but i'm sure others have.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
That's more of what I wanted. I know people use distortion pedals but I was wondering if they even used the distorted channel on their amp...! That seemed really confusing to me.