Page 1 of 2
Quote by G00fBall
Im thinking about getting a Mac

+1

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
You do realize that they are $1800+ for a low spec computer without an optical drive.
Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
+1

ha thankfully i have the cash to get it tomorrow but i have to order via mail.
The Macbook Air is a very low-end specs laptop that has mobility as its only distinct feature.

Don't get it unless you're frequently on the move and only use light applications.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Macbook Air is a very low-end specs laptop that has mobility as its only distinct feature.

Don't get it unless you're frequently on the move and only use light applications.

obviously i wouldnt spend that kind of money if i was housebound. i fly a lot with my work so it would be handy.
Quote by G00fBall
obviously i wouldnt spend that kind of money if i was housebound. i fly a lot with my work so it would be handy.

Then by all means, get it.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I would personally go for a macbook pro or macbook, much better computers IMO.

But the incredibly small size is quite intriguing...
Complete waste of cash. Two usb slots, no optical drive, worthless specs, and nearly 2000. And only a decent bit thinner then a macbook. If you want a mactop get a real one untill they lower the price or up the anty on the air.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Yeah, no optical drive, I think it has only two USB ports, and some minimal specs.

Its really made for extreme portability. So unless your traveling around alot and have to take your computer with you, I wouldn't suggest it. Its definitely not a desktop replacement.

But if it is portability you want, I would suggest ASUS' EEE PC, especially since they are releasing a newer version of it pretty soon. That and HP's new Mini Note laptop, which is also extremely small. You may be getting this for the OS though, so if thats the case than forget about these suggestions.
Quote by Diamond Dave
id rather get one of the new ASUS eee pc's, you should check them out.

they look pretty interesting, but i have a dell thats the mini size (whatever the centimetres are)

its pretty cool you can load cds onto it from other macs without taking the harddrive. the internal battery looks like a problem tho id have to send back to mac to get replaced.
I'd say get the macbook pro, i have one, and it's fairly mobile, maybe not as much as the macbook air, but it's a sick computer just the same.

To jett, I can run Windows a **** of a lot faster than your laptop on my MBP, I promise.
Quote by Diamond Dave
id rather get one of the new ASUS eee pc's, you should check them out.

I have an EEE PC, I'm on it right now. It's amazing, but if you can, definitely go for the MBA.
Definitely worth it, since you travel a bunch.
Wolfie, Moley, Witty, Dgmey, Grundy
Quote by the-patient
I'd say get the macbook pro, i have one, and it's fairly mobile, maybe not as much as the macbook air, but it's a sick computer just the same.

To jett, I can run Windows a **** of a lot faster than your laptop on my MBP, I promise.

And the fanboyism begins.
Quote by G00fBall
they look pretty interesting, but i have a dell thats the mini size (whatever the centimetres are)

its pretty cool you can load cds onto it from other macs without taking the harddrive. the internal battery looks like a problem tho id have to send back to mac to get replaced.

It really isn't THAT much of a hassle. It'd be a good few years before you need a replacement. Would you get that shmecksy external drive too? I'd get it just because it's hot. Seriously though, when people say, "but it doesn't have an optical drive!"

Honestly?

They're on the way out. Remember the floppy and how people freaked out when the mac didn't have a floppy drive?

hmmm..whats the exchange rate from uk to usa at the mo? i could sneak it back through customs and get it cheap
whats the upside of the macbook air again? seriously, mac's oversimplification of computers makes me want to gag.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by G00fBall
hmmm..whats the exchange rate from uk to usa at the mo? i could sneak it back through customs and get it cheap

Wouldn't the power currency be different?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by SharpSpoon
And the fanboyism begins.

I don't think fanboyism counts when facts are involved. The high end MBP ran Vista faster than any other laptop.
Quote by Fishyesque
It really isn't THAT much of a hassle. It'd be a good few years before you need a replacement. Would you get that shmecksy external drive too? I'd get it just because it's hot. Seriously though, when people say, "but it doesn't have an optical drive!"

Honestly?

They're on the way out. Remember the floppy and how people freaked out when the mac didn't have a floppy drive?

Man what? Floppy Disks were limited to PC only, it was inevitable that they would die out eventually. Optical drives on the other hand are used in everything from CD players, DVD players, BLU-RAY, and game consoles.

Why they hell would it die out?
Quote by Xiaoxi
Wouldn't the power currency be different?

i thought i could just replace the psu
Quote by Fishyesque
I don't think fanboyism counts when facts are involved. The high end MBP ran Vista faster than any other laptop.

No one said that it couldn't run it faster. For whatever reason you thought that it was something everyone should know.

Thats nice, congratulations, you own a mac. I'm proud of you, here is your certificate of awesomeness.
Quote by G00fBall
i thought i could just replace the psu

Wouldn't that require opening up the laptop and thus voiding your warranty?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by SharpSpoon
No one said that it couldn't run it faster. For whatever reason you thought that it was something everyone should know.

Thats nice, congratulations, you own a mac. I'm proud of you, here is your certificate of awesomeness.
their computers are so cute, they dont need certificates.

or performance.

or value.
Quote by Zugunruhe
whats the upside of the macbook air again? seriously, mac's oversimplification of computers makes me want to gag.

Portability. We ALL know that you sacrifice power for real portability. Look it up, the MBA is actually VERY nicely priced compared to other ultraportable notebooks.

And the whole wirelessly using another computers disc drive.. Genius.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Wouldn't that require opening up the laptop and thus voiding your warranty?

i would save $600 getting it from the US, i would smash it up and claim it on house insurance if it went faulty.
Quote by Zugunruhe
their computers are so cute, they dont need certificates.

or performance.

or value.

Don't tell me you're talking about Macs. No value?

The 12" Powerbook is going for $999.
The iBook is going for $600, with other computers from the same time and specs are going for $350. No value? Hardly.
Quote by Fishyesque
Portability. We ALL know that you sacrifice power for real portability. Look it up, the MBA is actually VERY nicely priced compared to other ultraportable notebooks.

And the whole wirelessly using another computers disc drive.. Genius.

why would you possibly need a computer that fits in a manilla envelope?

and if you did, blackberry?
Quote by Fishyesque

The iBook is going for $600, with other computers from the same time and specs are going for $350. No value? Hardly.
look at the specs. i actually did this yesterday because i was curious. my hp was $900, and the comparable mac pro was $1500. i guess $500 is worth it. theyre so very cute.
Last edited by Zugunruhe at Apr 18, 2008,
i'm an apple fan all the way but i think the macbook air is more of a stepping stone than a practical computer. what i mean is that it is going to lead to better things but isn't developed enough to actually be useful. give it a couple years and i think something great will come out of it. for now just get a macbook pro. god gave you arms, just use them.
Quote by G00fBall
i would save $600 getting it from the US, i would smash it up and claim it on house insurance if it went faulty.

Clever...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by SharpSpoon

Me? Ha! I wouldn't own a Mac.

Quote by Fishyesque

So in other words, you are saying they are over priced.
Quote by Zugunruhe
why would you possibly need a computer that fits in a manilla envelope?

and if you did, blackberry?

Screen size. And it's Manila. And YOU go talk to people who are ALWAYS on the move. They need something light. The MBA isn't designed to bring 'PC' users to Macs, they're for Mac users who need more portability. The Macbook is designed for people looking to switch.
Quote by Fishyesque
Screen size. And it's Manila. And YOU go talk to people who are ALWAYS on the move. They need something light. The MBA isn't designed to bring 'PC' users to Macs, they're for Mac users who need more portability. The Macbook is designed for people looking to switch.
screen size, are you serious? if you want an overpriced gaget, get an iphone. its a phone too. or a blackberry, which has basicly all the same capabilities and is also a phone.

and so youre saying that you need a macbook and a macbook air? and an iphone too i guess...
Quote by SharpSpoon
So in other words, you are saying they are over priced.

No, I'm saying that the value stays high.

iBooks are STILL sought after, even though they're outdated.

As for overpriced, hardly. Besides, Mac sales keep increasing. People are willing to pay a premium for good looks. A lot of young people like their things to look good.
Page 1 of 2