I recently bought a Mesa Roadking II. I love it but I have a few questions.

First, When switching which poweramp tubes I'm using, should I put the amp on standby or just stay off that channel while I switch them?

Second, While I love the rhythm tones, I'm finding it hard to get a higher gain lead tone. Any suggestions?
Id just turn the amp off while switching tube types. If anything keep it on standby.

For higher gain, try putting an OVERDRIVE pedal infront of the amp.
I don't need more gain, I have plenty of gain, I just can't EQ it right. It always sounds too thick.
Ah. Ok.

Well, are you using your neck pickup? Cause the neck pickup sounds really mushy most the time with lots of gain.
yeah, but the bridge sounds the same. its like the tone knob is turned down.
Get an EQ pedal? Set the EQ to what you think sounds great and switch it on for when your doing lead work. Make sure you bump up the mids so you get more cut.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Congratulations on the purchase of such a great amp, I own one too and I love it. To get a better lead tone, run vintage on Channel 3 with 2x6L6 and 2xEL-34. The ELs will clear up a lot of that thick lead.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
try running some of the EL-34's they might increase your mids a bit and make your lead sound less thick.

either that or play around with the EQ's, mesa's are usually made to sound thick anyway
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I've never heard of tone coming from a boogie as "too thick" its always "THIS IS THICK AS ****!!!" Thats awesome!
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
The RK isn't as thick as the DR solo head though.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by FLCLcowdude
The RK isn't as thick as the DR solo head though.

I think thats the most redundant statment ive heard....
Quote by Brendan.Clace
I think thats the most redundant statment ive heard....

Redundancy is my middle name.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
An EQ pedal sounds interesting and I'll try running the EL-34's with it. I love the thickness of the amp, but I feel it's a little too much for the leads. There is too much bass in my leads.

And I don't see how the DR could have a thicker tone considering if you run the RK on channel 3 with 4 6l6s on modern, you have the exact replica of a DR.
Quote by Evian
An EQ pedal sounds interesting and I'll try running the EL-34's with it. I love the thickness of the amp, but I feel it's a little too much for the leads. There is too much bass in my leads.

And I don't see how the DR could have a thicker tone considering if you run the RK on channel 3 with 4 6l6s on modern, you have the exact replica of a DR.

What I meant to say is that the Dual Rec is thick all the time where the Road King you can dial out a good bit of the thickness.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Ah I see. The only unfortunate thing is I can't dial out the thickness.

I'm also having trouble keeping channel one clean. It's very quiet in comparison to the rest of the channels. I have to use the solo button in order for it to compare, and then I end up blowing my self away when I switch to another channel and I forget to turn it off. I have it set to the 4 6l6s and 2 el-34s for maximum headroom and i still find it breaking up if it turn the gain up past like 11 o clock. While it's a cool thing to have the clean with a little sparkle, it's not what I'm looking for. If anything I just want it to be louder.
Set it to use just the 6l6's for clean. Your clean may be a little more fender-ish....
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Redundancy is my middle name.

--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I think you need to spend a little more time with this amp. There is a lot of dialing in but once you get it it.Wow!
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Yeah I haven't gotten a chance to spend much time with it. These are just some of my initial concerns.