Hey need some quick advice, my epi les paul neck is bending, I have no doubt, I'm restringing my guitar now to some lighter strings

How do I know when the neck bends to far and also how can you prevent this from happening?

I don't think its serious but just for my state of mind, advice is much appreciated for now or the future!

Thanks in advance
i know that...but when do you know when to adjust your neck
i think neck bending is a good indication
'To be positive at all times is to ignore all that is important, sacred or valuable. To be negative at all times is to be threatened by ridiculousness and instant discredibility.'
-Kurt Cobain
did putting heavier strings on cause this? if so, go back to the lighter strings or adust the truss rod. the latter is a job for a guitar tech if you don't know what you are doing.

to measure the bend, but a capo on the first fret and then hold down the low E string on the neck where it meets the body of the guitar. now look at the gap between said string and the 9th fretwire, it shouldn't be more than a credit card thickness. if it is, then the truss rod needs tightening up, if it's less then the truss rod is too tight.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
did putting heavier strings on cause this? if so, go back to the lighter strings or adust the truss rod. the latter is a job for a guitar tech if you don't know what you are doing.

to measure the bend, but a capo on the first fret and then hold down the low E string on the neck where it meets the body of the guitar. now look at the gap between said string and the 9th fretwire, it shouldn't be more than a credit card thickness. if it is, then the truss rod needs tightening up, if it's less then the truss rod is too tight.

+1

it takes a minute. easiest way is to look at the middle gap while holding first and last fret.
if the string touches the frets there, then you need more gap.
so if you want to adjust, then, repost.

im sure dr john will help.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The neck is bent too far when the action becomes too difficult for you to play. You should expect some bending due to the increased tension of the heavier strings. A truss rod adjustment should return the action to your preference.
^"when the action becomes too difficult for you to play"

... after a bridge adjustment.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011