I just had my strings changed to DR Tite-Fit gauge 10's a few weeks ago on my Laguna LE422. The guy at Guitar Center personally recommended the set to me when he saw my Wilkinson trem. He told me they were the best strings for whammy abuse.

Fast forward to today. The D-string breaks while I'm finger picking. No whammy bar abuse. No heavy string bends. The D-string broke at the bridge saddle. It didn't really snap. More like, the outer shell got separated and the material inside stretched out. Now, I'm seriously thinking of what brand of strings should I replace them with. I have a set of GHS Boomers gauge 10's on my older guitar which has a Bigsby vibrato and Grover locking tuners, and those strings have been on it since January 2008. I visited the GHS website and saw these GHS Reinforced Boomers available in 10's, designed for whammy abuse and more aggressive styles of playing.

Should I still give DRs another chance or go back to GHS? Any guitarists who use GHS Reinforced Boomers out there? How are they compared to the regular Boomers or DRs?
Last edited by Out of Exile at Apr 18, 2008,
I'd give them another chance, cause for my preference, I like the Tite fit 10's. I use them on my Tele, but unlike you, I don't use a tremolo arm. I don't think it could hurt, and if they go out on you again, go for the reinforced Boomers.
I use reinforced Boomers on my floyd rose trem. They kick ass and personally get you the metal sound and feel! I also used just normal boomers. there fine aswell. I oculd bend up 4 tones with my reinforced. I just did a little test for u and on 5 tones the E string broke. awesome!
Quote by messiah01
I'd give them another chance, cause for my preference, I like the Tite fit 10's. I use them on my Tele, but unlike you, I don't use a tremolo arm. I don't think it could hurt, and if they go out on you again, go for the reinforced Boomers.

DR's did feel great. It's just that I feel reluctant spending for another set of the same thing again.
Quote by tomypg
I use reinforced Boomers on my floyd rose trem. They kick ass and personally get you the metal sound and feel! I also used just normal boomers. there fine aswell. I oculd bend up 4 tones with my reinforced. I just did a little test for u and on 5 tones the E string broke. awesome!

Do they have the rust problem of the regular Boomers? The only thing I disliked about the Boomers on my old guitar was that they would make my fingers smell like rust after playing. But yeah, they felt great too.
I rarely break strings. The only time I break a string is when i use a trem. In fact I haven't broken a string, outside of using a floyd, in over a year. I play around 2 hours a day.

It took me about 2 months of heavy trem abuse to break a string (Think slayer) when I switched to DR Tite-Fit's. Definitely the strings that lasted the longest for me. I hardly use my trem now so I don't have that problem anymore.

Obviously since I use them I think they are a quality set of strings.

By the way, sorry for the monologue... I just wanted to let you know the background info as well as my opinion.
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
Last edited by dez_cole at Apr 18, 2008,
Dean Markley's!!!
I've been going crazy with the trem on my rg since I got it (december) which is also when I got the DM's put on. These things have taken 5 months of torture and are still holding up well!
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD