Page 1 of 3
Well I recorded a little bit of stuff tonight, coudlnt turn up the volume so the recordings sound a bit muddy but you can still make out the tone which is why im posting it. Same rules as always tell me what you think about the tone and not my playing. I know i suck, plus this is a really quick run through of some riffs I dont play to often and its 3:00am here and im tired as hell. lol

Riffs are a few originals mixed with some intros and main riff covers. Recorded in Drop C for everything. No editing or tweaking of the knobs because i didnt have time and didnt stop for retakes so no studio magic here lol. Just pure metal and very sloppy playing...

So with that said criticize the hell out of it.....

Click on A whole lot of Riffs on the Vavleking in my profile..
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/IbanezPsycho/
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Apr 18, 2008,
wrong forum.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
Quote by redneck516
wrong forum.

Im asking a question about the tone of my amp which is GEAR. Im not asking for people to crit my original riff, playing ability, cover song or quality of recording... So this is the right forum...

Heres an example anyone know what a Valveking with a BM sounds like... Yea check out my clips... Get the point....

And your a little late since this is the like 20th thread about valveking clips and the huge metal off that was posted a month or so back so find something else to do then try and be a post nazi...
Whatever man, i guess thats just how I view it because I dont see a point to this thread.
You already said yourself that the tone muddy so thats pretty much all there is to say.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
personally i dint like the tone. It was really loose and flabby.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Didn't like that tone at all, sorry. Seemed to have no definition to it, everything just turned to mush.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by .arkness:.
personally i dint like the tone. It was really loose and flabby.
I would have to agree.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
that has to be his mike because my valveking sound much tighter than that, especially when hes running EMG 81 picks-ups, my Evo2 bridge pick and valveking sound much tighter than that. and a Dimarzio Evo2 is nowhere near as hot as an EMG 81
I'm going to say that that isn't typical of a valvekings tone, I'd trace it back to pickups or something.

My valveking head with my Gibson LP sounds a lot clearer and not as muddy. It might be the mic as well but it honestly sounds like an EQ/playstyle problem (sounds kinda lazy).
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
Thanks for the input... That was pretty much the last go around with this amp im tired of messing with it. Its sad my randall is tighter and has no mud and pretty much kicks the VK's A$$ if it wasn't a SS. I've got a new tube coming for it but more then likely that isnt going to do anything for it. I think its time to give up and sell it or use it as a power amp and get me a good preamp...

Also to respond the mic is spot on how it sounds in real life. And i cant get the mud out no matter what i try. I've even used about 10 others peoples sworn eq settings and mine just craps them out. Also i've used different pickups and even ran a Gibson LP through it, still crap and whats funnier is it was worse with that guitar then my ESP. And my playing sucks but even a open or chord is muddy also one finger powerchords theres no way for me to mess that stuff up. And anytime i go into a store and play on something different all that goes away...
Maybe you got a lemon, even youtube valveking clips aren't as muddy. Could be a tube issue as well.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
Quote by ParryPerson
Maybe you got a lemon, even youtube valveking clips aren't as muddy. Could be a tube issue as well.

Possibly, i've been thinking that for a while now. But the warranty i have just repairs it and not exchange. So as they see it the amp makes noise so more then likely they wont replace it.... Ill have to see if the tube change does anything, if not im going to see if i can replace it or get rid of it... And thanks for the info...
Wrong music.

Sound to loose and undefined. A low tuned guitar boring riffs doesn't really help.
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
OK, I've been giving your problems some thought and here's what I've come up with:

1. You have active EMGs, and you're plugging into the high gain input as well, I bet. Don't do that. It's terrible.
EDIT: Disregard the above.
2. I think your presence is too high.
3. If you have vintage 30s in that cab of yours, don't be afraid to scoop your mids. Peavey amps generally are midrange boosted, and when you run a speaker that is as well it can get kind of boxy.
4. Your mic position might be letting your recording down a bit. Try putting it closer to one of the speakers instead of in front of the whole thing.
5. Turn the resonance down.
6. Try recording with it quieter.
7. Try boosting the gain with the tube screamer WITHOUT gain boost on. Gain boost adds treble as well as gain, and while that can sometimes be good it isn't in your case.
8. Try scooping your mids completely while maxing out the bass and having the treble on 5.
This is just stuff I've thought of, I don't know what setup yours is or what it sounds like in real life, I can only go by what the recording sounds like. Please don't take offence.

/Disclamer

Good Luck.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Apr 18, 2008,
Like said... there just seems to be no punch in the recording. The bass seems flabby and the gain is muddy. Try increasing the treble and dropping the bass a bit.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Questions answered...

Settings
Treble 3-4
middle 5
Bass 7.5-9
Presence 4
Res 6

1. You have active EMGs, and you're plugging into the high gain input as well, I bet. Don't do that. It's terrible.
EDIT: Disregard the above.
Ill double check this one, supposedly when you have both inputs plugged in it drops it to the lower gain one. Ill have to test it and see.
2. I think your presence is too high.
Presence is on 4
3. If you have vintage 30s in that cab of yours, don't be afraid to scoop your mids. Peavey amps generally are midrange boosted, and when you run a speaker that is as well it can get kind of boxy.
Running 12T75's and Lead 80's in X pattern
4. Your mic position might be letting your recording down a bit. Try putting it closer to one of the speakers instead of in front of the whole thing.
One mic is pressed against the grill. Condensor is about a foot away. The recording is spot on what the live sounds like. :-(
5. Turn the resonance down.
Resonance is on 6
6. Try recording with it quieter.
Its not even to one on the volume knob on the recordings
7. Try boosting the gain with the tube screamer WITHOUT gain boost on. Gain boost adds treble as well as gain, and while that can sometimes be good it isn't in your case.
Tried it once and it sounded worse but ill give it another try.
8. Try scooping your mids completely while maxing out the bass and having the treble on 5.
Tried that and its still muddy and gets really dark. My first recordings were scooped mids.
Treble is usually on 3-4 at 5 it gets really harsh sounding

This is just stuff I've thought of, I don't know what setup yours is or what it sounds like in real life, I can only go by what the recording sounds like. Please don't take offence.

No Offence taken.. Thats the reason i post these clips.. I know there bad i want to get what people think so i can try and fix the issue. I've been through so many different settings and other stuff its crazy.
Quote by mike.h
Like said... there just seems to be no punch in the recording. The bass seems flabby and the gain is muddy. Try increasing the treble and dropping the bass a bit.

Yea the thing always sounds sterile and lifeless... Tried upping the treble and dropping the bass and posted up a clip and everyone said it was way to harsh and tinny. Treble past 4 gets really tinny and muddier..
Quote by Colgate Total
Turn up the volume and play again. VKs are terrible at low volume.

Yea, i've noticed that too... Thats why i posted the comment its a little muddier in my first post. But i cant crank it the loudest i have gotten it to is like 4 lol

Now with that said thanks for bringing it up again. Im going to blast it tomorrow and see what happens... lol
The thing is, it's very easy to make the valveking sound like complete ass if you don't know what your pres/res/a-a/b/EQ knobs do.
Quote by HxCori<3
Quote by ParryPerson
The thing is, it's very easy to make the valveking sound like complete ass if you don't know what your pres/res/a-a/b/EQ knobs do.

I know what each of them do and i still have the issue lol... This is the only amp that has ever thrown me for a loop.
I hate to say this but I just got my bad monkey and just using it as a booster it sounds bloody amazing. I'm sorry you've had bad luck with them, I'd try going and trying one in the store again, if it sounds like anus to you then you know it's not just your amp
Quote by HxCori<3
Quote by ParryPerson
I hate to say this but I just got my bad monkey and just using it as a booster it sounds bloody amazing. I'm sorry you've had bad luck with them, I'd try going and trying one in the store again, if it sounds like anus to you then you know it's not just your amp

Cool, that is one piece of gear i will stand behind.. I love mine...

Been there done that too coudlnt really tell... Migth have to give it another shot..

And everyone thanks for your suggestions... Keep um comin...
Ok, this may seem radical, but check your EQs are actually EQ'ing properly. Max out the bass and cut the treble and mids. What does it sound like? Try it with all the others.

EDIT: The other thing is that both your speakers seem to be less steep on the treble cut than my speaker. This COULD be causing the tininess. Maybe you could take your head down to a shop and try it out on some different cabs (if only to eliminate that possibility). If possible, try your head on a cab and then one of theirs with exactly the same settings.

EDIT2: Do you have the gain maxed out? I always found that when I put the gain past 8 it didn't add gain, only mud. I actually found I had a better high gain sound by keeping it at max 8.

EDIT3: Cancel that^ I just checked my PMs.

I take it you are matching your cab and head with the correct ohmages? Sometimes that can cause a loss of low end.

The fact that you have your gain on 4 and it's distorting like that worries me. Have you checked your preamp tubes for breakages/burns?

Does this sound like something you've experienced before?
...Recently, my amp has higher noise levels and last night it lost most of the gain and volume. I checked all the cables, and tried different guitars which didn't fix the issue. Also, the pilot light and LED lights are all working. I felt the back of the amp and it didn't seem very hot. My guesss is that the tubes are going. Does this sound right?
Or perhaps-
I plugged my guitar into it, and I started hearing this strange clipping on harder plucked notes. And, as the amp warmed up, there was a sound like an intermittent fuzz or crackling after/during a sustained note, if that makes sense.
Or this-
...When I turn up my amplifier with the gain cranked, I sometimes get a squealing noise, even if my guitar volume is turned off. What could that be?

The active ingredient in all tube amplifiers is TUBES. Tubes are an old technology, but their implementation has yielded some great vintage and modern amplifiers.
However, tubes have a reputation for being fragile (Probably because they ARE made of glass), and all tubes used in guitar amplifiers WILL fail eventually...
The fact that tubes can, do and WILL fail should not be alarming. Tubes often mean a far simpler circuit than a comparable solid state amplifier, and tubes can be quickly replaced by the user. Tubes simply unplug, and in most cases, you just unplug the old tube and plug in the new one. A few seconds later, your amp is like new again.POWER TUBES- Bad power tubes need to be replaced right away, as power tube failure can cause resistors and other passive components inside the amp to fail when the tubes fail. Signs of bad power tubes- Low output, a tube (or tubes) with the metal plate structure glowing (Not the small heater filament, but the big, metal part visible through the glass) glowing orange), rattling or crackling noises when the tube is gently tapped and the amp is operating, especially when the amp is putting out 1/2 power or greater. Failing output tubes do not generally cause microphonic squealing noises.

PREAMP TUBES- Generally, failing preamp tubes can't cause any damage to the amplifier, but they can cause bad sound, or a loss of sound altogether. Signs of bad preamp tubes include: electronic rattling noises, muted high frequency response, low on gain, a hum that is more noticeable than usual, squealing noises, especially at high volume and or gain levels. The most common preamp tube today is the 12AX7, 9 pin dual triode type, followed by the 12AT7. While they are not interchangeable, they can be swapped in some circuits with varying degrees of sucsess.

Does any of this apply?
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Apr 19, 2008,
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Ok, this may seem radical, but check your EQs are actually EQ'ing properly. Max out the bass and cut the treble and mids. What does it sound like? Try it with all the others.

The EQ'ing section is working, i went through about 2 hours of settings and tweaks just now. But i did find the issue i think.

Seems like theres a set amount of mudd/breakup and only my sustain is effected when im adjusting the gain knob. Example when i put it at 3 there is a set breakup/distortion amount but notes only last about 2 seconds when i raise it to 7 its the same amount of distortion but the sustain of the notes last about 10 seconds so everything blends together and its just a fuller sounding mess. So theres no smoothing out at lower gain levels. Its Jagged mess with more sustain or less sustain. Reminds me of a big muff, same distortion amount just more sustain.

EDIT: The other thing is that both your speakers seem to be less steep on the treble cut than my speaker. This COULD be causing the tininess. Maybe you could take your head down to a shop and try it out on some different cabs (if only to eliminate that possibility). If possible, try your head on a cab and then one of theirs with exactly the same settings.

Possibly but that wouldn't explain the gain issue, it would just be screwing up my tone pretty bad.

EDIT2: Do you have the gain maxed out? I always found that when I put the gain past 8 it didn't add gain, only mud. I actually found I had a better high gain sound by keeping it at max 8.

EDIT3: Cancel that^ I just checked my PMs.

I take it you are matching your cab and head with the correct ohmages? Sometimes that can cause a loss of low end.

It's correct, i always quadruple check so i dont blow it up..

The fact that you have your gain on 4 and it's distorting like that worries me. Have you checked your preamp tubes for breakages/burns?

Haven't checked the tubes yet, ill put that on my check list... For tomorrow... And check first answer about the gain at 4 issue.

Does any of this apply?

I plugged my guitar into it, and I started hearing this strange clipping on harder plucked notes. And, as the amp warmed up, there was a sound like an intermittent fuzz or crackling after/during a sustained note, if that makes sense.

That sounds pretty familiar.. Long sustained notes dont fade out they just start crackling.

And now that you mention it, people always explained to me that a bad preamp tube sounds like your loosing distortion. But I've never heard it first hand to distinguish it because this is my first tube amp Also the amp is only a few months old and has been in the bedroom since the first day i got it. I was thinking distortion loss in a totally different way then described by people...

I bet thats it....
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Apr 19, 2008,
My money's on broken tubes. If not, something else broken in the circuitry? Can't be the pot I think since it still does something.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Ok couldn't wait pulled the tubes... Turns out they had a JJ in the V1 slot and Electro-Harmonix's in the second two slots.

These are the pics it took, one of them had heat rings and what looks like a defect or something on the top half, doesn't look like a crack but there is a mark on top of it. What do yall think?

Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Apr 19, 2008,
T00bz look fine to me.

The best thing I can suggest is cut back to the basics then slowly add everything back in, trying it with as many different variations as possible. Take your head to a music store, and play it there with their gear. If it's still ****ty, then you've got a head problem.

If not, enjoy tracing back through your gear to find the problem. I've had to do it a few times, and it could be something as simple as switching your effects order around or a bad cable.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by davedoom
it sounds horribly squishy and blanket covered - just not a great amp....

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. It IS a decent amp. Maybe not in the same bracket as 5150s, Mesa Recs or Soldanos, but it is certainly a usable workhorse for a variety of styles. Yes, IbanezPsycho's tone is pretty bad, but I have one and people have complimented my tone in this forum. There's obviously something out with either his setup or on the amp itself.

EDIT: Those tubes LOOK fine, but sometimes tubes can break and you wouldn't know it to look at them. I think you should take your head down a music shop and try some different cabs to see if the problem still occurs.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Apr 19, 2008,
Thanks for everyones help... I have a new tube on the way so im going to give that a shot. Im thinking thats the issue. Because when i first got it, the thing sounded totally different and worked like it should. But if that fails i still have the repair option since i got the extended warranty. But the kicker is they don't cover tubes so if thats the issue i have to test it out first..
Ugh ditch the gloves.

You're saying that that clip was running EMGs straight into a Tubescreamer dimed into the amp?

It sounds to me like you're overdriving the ICs and Transistors in the pedal to me.

Unless I've grossly midread this.

If it's how you describe with the fizzy sustain, then it's either dodgy tubes or some dodgy components. Most likely a result of pushing them so ridiculously hard. It's not meant to have that much gain.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I'm sorry, but you're wrong. It IS a decent amp. Maybe not in the same bracket as 5150s, Mesa Recs or Soldanos, but it is certainly a usable workhorse for a variety of styles. Yes, IbanezPsycho's tone is pretty bad, but I have one and people have complimented my tone in this forum. There's obviously something out with either his setup or on the amp itself.

i cant really have your take on it, as its the only amp you have and youre just a fanboy

albeit its better than an mg, but its still bad

ive tried the 1x12 and the head and the head is better, still not great at all for a valve amp - id choose a spiderIII valve over that - more versatility and added warmth from the tubes...
as much as you dont want to hear this, and as much as i dont want to sound like a jerk, i have this to say:

clean playing, and playing with a properly tuned guitar contribute to tone more than you think. it doesnt matter how good an amp is, if you put a novice and an untuned guitar on it, it's going to sound terrible. it sounds to me like your trying to run before you can walk. not to mention it takes years to be able to recognize what exactly good tone consists of and what you need to do as a player to achieve the tone that you are after.

tune your guitar and play some riffs that you can play cleanly. it WILL sound better. don't feel like you have to jack the gain way up. i'm not bashing you, but better playing will equate to better tone. theres tons of tone in your fingers, not just in your guitar and your amp or pedals.
Well Enough Alone
Quote by davedoom
i cant really have your take on it, as its the only amp you have and youre just a fanboy

It's the only amp I have because I don't feel that I need anything else. And no I'm not a fanboy of Peavey, there are plenty of better amps out there obviously. You try and find a Mesa for that price here in the UK. Also, I've played through many other amps, so me only owning one means nothing.

Quote by davedoom
albeit its better than an mg, but its still bad

Anything is better than an MG, what a great comparison you made there.

Quote by davedoom
ive tried the 1x12 and the head and the head is better, still not great at all for a valve amp - id choose a spiderIII valve over that - more versatility and added warmth from the tubes...

I'm afraid I can't ever really have your take on it, because you just said that the spider valve is better. And having played both, I can't bring myself to agree. And your remark that the head is better, sure it is, if you want to demolish yours and your neighbours' houses. What would I do with 100w?
Ehh i didnt like the valveking when i tried it.Goes to show ya some solid states do sound better than tubes.Older solid states can get nice tone.i used the valveking for a gig and then i returned it cause i just couldnt deal with it enough to keep it.
I actually did like the spider valve better than the valveking BUT for the price of a spider valve theres much better used options so it defeats the purpose of being decent lol.
I dunno man, sounds like you've given it a fair run trying to get your sound, maybe it's time to start thinking about alternatives. Sounds like you want a tight, super saturated, brighter, metal tone. There are amps that will give you that right out of the box without having to mess around much. You shouldn't have to spend a month EQ'ing an amp unless it's a Mesa.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by bartdevil_metal

I'm afraid I can't ever really have your take on it, because you just said that the spider valve is better. And having played both, I can't bring myself to agree. And your remark that the head is better, sure it is, if you want to demolish yours and your neighbours' houses. What would I do with 100w?

please stay with your "entry" amp.

im happy with mine. (though the Orange is going due to build issues)

oh and please ask or set a poll to which amp is better

tone is subjective - in comparison from mine to yours, it isnt.....

EDIT: clearly from saying that - you must play at speaking volume - im not promoting deafness but a 50w valve on full can have somewhere to go with me - unless you play in pissy bars and clubs with limiters.
Page 1 of 3