Hi, i have just bought a gorgeous esp ltd ec-1000 guitar.

It is a les paul shape and les paul scale. It comes with 10-46 strings which feel much too slack for my tastes.

here is the thing, i have recently been asked to join a band but they play in drop c whereas i play in standard nearly all of the time. I regard myself as a beginner - intermediate player and i still use guitar learning books for tuition and they are all done with standard tuning in mind.

so i was thinking, would it be cool to play in d standard and just know that everything i learn from the books is just the same except a whole step down? would that work? that way when it comes to playing with the band i can just drop to drop c much easier without worrying about string tensions etc. if i were to do that i would probably go with 10-52s.

second the ec1000 i have comes with stock seymour duncans not emgs as seems most common. i have a jb in the bridge which i like tonally and voicing wise but it doesn't seem to pack as much of a punch as i would like.i.e the bottom end is a bit looser than i usually like.

Is this a problem others have had with the jb? should i change it? if so to what?

thanks
For D or drop C I would personally go with .11 instead of .10.
But yeah D is just 2 frets lower than E, so if you play guitar book tabs just play everything 2 frets higher. It can sometimes be a bit confusing if you're playing relative to the inlays & dots on the guitar neck.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Ventor
For D or drop C I would personally go with .11 instead of .10.
But yeah D is just 2 frets lower than E, so if you play guitar book tabs just play everything 2 frets higher. It can sometimes be a bit confusing if you're playing relative to the inlays & dots on the guitar neck.

so in my position you would play in d standard?
Well from D to drop C for your band it's definately easier because the guitar does not have a floating bridge, so yeah I'd probably do that.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
if your joining the band you have to play in C
if you play in d and their guitars and bass is in c then the notes will all be incorrect
but yeah play in whatever tuning u want if ur not gna join the band
if you drop to C 10's will be too slack, i use 11's for standard tuning and when i drop to drop C# i feel the 52's i use need a little more tension. i wouldn't use anything less than 11 for drop C tuning.

i use 11-52 for my PRS Singlecut and go no lower than drop C#. I put Dunlop 12-54's on my Les Paul Custom and get good tension from D standard to drop C.

i use EMG's and SD Blackouts in each respective guitar and have no issues with low end. If you play using high gain, NOTHING compares to active pickups. you probably just don't get that little bit extra output from the stock pickup than what you'd get from EMG's, so its an error on your part for not getting one with EMG's stock, but you can always sell the JB if it doesnt do.
put it into D and use a capo so it plays like its in E.
He died... Yes, He died in a bizarre gardening accident.
Quote by Devil In Jersey
why haven't you bought the emg-equipped one?

Well i got this guitar from ebay for a good price. I have also always been a bit wary of only owning one guitar and it having emgs equipped as i don't only play metal and cleans are important to me. (also i only have a roland cube 60 which is solid state and i hear actives and solid states are not a great combo?)

So even if i had a choice i may still have gone for the seymour duncans. one day when i can afford it an active pickup equipped guitar just for metal would be great.
Quote by paul_wilson
put it into D and use a capo so it plays like its in E.

+1
Guitars:
LTD MHNT250 (Bare Knuckle Warpig in Bridge)
AMP/Cab:
Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960A Cab
Rack:
Korg DTR-1000 Rack Tuner
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
DBX 266 XL Compressor
Check out my band!:
Revenance
A lot of heavy bands actually use the SD JB/'59 combo and get plenty of bottom end with it. The pickups DO make a difference, but having a better amp would help. If you plan on doing gigs/jams and want something that'll cut through better and give a better, tighter bottom end, shoot for a 2x12 tube combo or a head/2x12 cab.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
lol u could get some effect pedal that can drop whatever you are playing a step down (ie the whammy iv) and tune drop d and you'll be in-tune w/ the band
Non sunt in celi
quia fuccant uuiuys of heli

--Flen flyys
Quote by |)EMENTED
lol u could get some effect pedal that can drop whatever you are playing a step down (ie the whammy iv) and tune drop d and you'll be in-tune w/ the band

what do others think about this idea?
Quote by Sepulturick
what do others think about this idea?

Never tried it but I'm sure it sucks compared to real downtuning.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
why are u so worried though.
i drop my guitar to drop C all the time and i have no problems.
+ i have a Squire Fat Strat.

Oh and also.
u could play in D standard with the band THOUGH u will need to play alot of power chords most of the time. :P