hey guys

what do u think of the marshall valvestate series?
my schools got one, it sounds pretty alright but i didnt get to play on it for long

only 16 cant afford a jcm stack yet hehe thinking of settlin for a VS for now

anyways is it good for hard rock, thrash+heavy metal tones? would pedals help?

cheers
It's probably one of the best solid state amps out there, it actually sounds pretty good at gig volumes.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
It's probably one of the best solid state amps out there, it actually sounds pretty good at gig volumes.

+1
Especially the older models (8100, 8040, ...).
I haven't really experimented a lot with pedals, but a BBE Sonic Maximizer 422 does make it sound a lot better.

Edit: here's a vid of the 8100 on fairly loud volume without any effects and a sucky guitar: www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-7gi07tnLk.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Last edited by Ventor at Apr 18, 2008,
Call me crazy, But i'm just not much of a fan. Maybe I tested out a bad one, but i wasn't impressed.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
If you can afford a valvestate, you can afford something a lot better if you think outside the box labelled "marshall". Valvestates aren't a lot better than the dreaded MG series, and use the search bar if you want to see what people think of the MG series...

Depending on your budget and where you live there's going to be some much MUCH better stuff that you can get if you don't go for the brand name.

edit: oh yeah, the old Valvestates are quite good, i just assumed you were referring to the newer "Advanced" (wankerized) Valvestates (AVT). Still, i didn't like the older valvestates much when i tried one either, it sounded kinda muddy to me...
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Apr 18, 2008,
You can also try to find a Randall RG100ES if you want to stay in the solid states.
But yes stay away from the AVT series.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
i have one of the older valvestates, an 80V. it's served me very well, it's a good all round amp but nothing to get very excited about. i sometimes use a pedal to get greater control for overdrive or distortion.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
My friend has a Valvestate (Not AVT, the actual Valvestates that were out before them), and it is pretty good. It makes a nice practice amp, and could be decent for small gigs. But for the price of them, you could get a nice tube amp e.g. Peavey Valveking 212.
Look for a used tube amp in the same price range.. it will be much better in the long run. I'm 16 too and I was able to get a Peavey Classic 50 for $350 used after doing lots of searching around.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by huaj
hey guys

anyways is it good for hard rock, thrash+heavy metal tones? would pedals help?

cheers

Distortion pedal should get you there. I should let someone else suggest one as I don;t kno much about them.

I have a VS30R, it's alright as it's my first ap which I bought used for $200. But the OD channel only sounds nice when I have the gain all the way up, other wise it sounds really, farty lol Also the EQ isnt very responsive. But it actually sounds better when I have the volume up

Also I have a question, is this amp a hybrid?
cheers for the replies fellas

never knew the avt series were that bad- haha

and yes this amp is a hybrid, just like the vox valvetronix or the peavey transtube.

i think ill try to save up for a peavey valveking, would that have the capabilities of hi-gain hard rock / thrash?

thx
Actually, since I respeakered my AVT it's sounded pretty decent. Of course for the amount of money the amp and a new speaker costs, you could get something much nicer/louder/versatile/tube.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
My mate had a very bashed up valvestate until a short time ago when he sold it.

It's not bad at all. I gigged with it and for awhile actually thought it might be a tube amp, or at least have one in the pre-amp. Quite sparkly cleans. Don't rate the distortion though.
The originals were the best imo. Loud, lots of head room, and just good sounding amps. The second generation started to slip a bit in terms of sound and didn't seem as loud. The current ones are way too processed sounding for me.
Chuck of the band Death used the 8100 stack with an overdrive pedal I think and he has an awesome death metal tone.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
i owned the vs100 1x12 combo a few years ago, it wasn't a bad amp at all, but i needed somethin bigger for gigging
My Gear

-ESP Eclipse II Snow White
-Gibson Flying V (White with black hardware, EMG 81's, black diamondplate pickguard)
-LTD Truckster
-Peavey XXX head, Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Traditional Cab
Try out a Randall RG50TC. Decently priced tube amp for high gain music.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
As much as people like to call over the marshall valvestates, the earlier ones seem to deliver.. I have an 8040, solid on the clean, valve driven on the distortion, it holds a good range of tones, and on the distortion a great sound when set correctly.

I have thought of replacing the amp as it lacked tone when used with a fx pedal, however, it can be set to run with an f/x loop, using the pre amp .. and return.. yes the new ones may be questioned, but dont be put off at the thought of an older valve marshall
Quote by CJRocker
The originals were the best imo. Loud, lots of head room, and just good sounding amps. The second generation started to slip a bit in terms of sound and didn't seem as loud. The current ones are way too processed sounding for me.

I'm pretty sure only the big ones sound 'processed'. The little ones don't have any effects except reverb, there's not too much processing going on.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by Ventor
Chuck of the band Death used the 8100 stack with an overdrive pedal I think and he has an awesome death metal tone.

Nah he used a straight up guitar to amp.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
My brother has an old Valvestate halfstack...

It rocks, really. And he plays mostly trash/death metal.

When I go over to his house and play some classic rock stuff it also sounds pretty good. If you can find one of the older ones, go for it. Can't tell you much about the new AVT. Played it once at a store, while I was trying a tele... Didn't like it much, though.
i have got an old 8040. i found it very useful since i dont have THE big budget. it has got a nice overdrive and work pretty good
Ivan!

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

URL=http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ar gentina
Quote by Steel8909
Distortion pedal should get you there. I should let someone else suggest one as I don;t kno much about them.

I have a VS30R, it's alright as it's my first ap which I bought used for $200. But the OD channel only sounds nice when I have the gain all the way up, other wise it sounds really, farty lol Also the EQ isnt very responsive. But it actually sounds better when I have the volume up

Also I have a question, is this amp a hybrid?

I have the same amp, and yes, it is a hybrid. I got mine used with warranty for $200.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I have the same amp, and yes, it is a hybrid. I got mine used with warranty for $200.

Cool. Do yuo know of any good distortion pedals that can get it to thrash?
you could turn the gain up... that thing has a crapload of gain for a marshall. Good pedals? MAYBE a big muff, I don't have any experience with them. Digitech's metal master can do it with you on the lowest gain setting (I.E. <1).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Steel8909
Cool. Do yuo know of any good distortion pedals that can get it to thrash?

A VS has enough gain naturally to do thrash.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
I tried an AVT, they're different but both the same idea from marshall.
The AVT wasn't as good as it could be.
Compared to the MG was great but you could probably get a 15-30 watt valve amp for the same price (you can in England at least).
I'm a bit of a valvestate fan- I've had a 1994 valvestate VS65R since new, and I love it

The VS65R has a full tube preamp (both on clean and overdrive channels) and I think it has a nice warm tone for its price (at the time). I mainly use clean and crunched tones though, with gain dialled down to about 1/4 - 1/3 when using overdrive.

I cant comment on the more modern valvestates cos i've been out of the game for a long time.
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
i got one, its loud but the detail of the sound doesnt cut through drums clearly its just like drowned out by the drums sou it sounds like noise but when playing by yourself at home its a nice little amp... i got a VS100 half stack that i bought used for 300 bucks and i am happy with what i got for the money, im between a jcm 2000 dsl 100, a jcm 900, or a mesa single rectifier half stack
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb