hey guys i was thinking lately about buying an acoustic bass, well im just a regular bass player who plays cover of old bands like AC/DC , rolling stones, the Doors.
but i was wondering can you actually use an acoustic bass the same way as i use my electric one for covers

this is the one im gonna buy btw.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAAEB10E
Well, none of the bands you've mentioned used an acoustic bass, which is a mark against it already. :P
The general consensus here seems to be that it's not worth getting cheap acoustic basses-the sound isn't great, they're not really loud enough to compete with a guitar when unplugged, and-crucially-an ordinary bass will sound just as good. It's not like the difference between an acoustic guitar and an electric.

I'd personally say not to bother-the money could be used somewhere else-but if you like the sound, go for it. (Try one out and see if you like the sound and feel).
Totaly agree Samzawadi, on the accoustic sessions where I accompany on Bass I just use my normal Bass and a Bass combo.
I have yet to see the benefit of an Accoustic Bass.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
Totaly agree Samzawadi, on the accoustic sessions where I accompany on Bass I just use my normal Bass and a Bass combo.
I have yet to see the benefit of an Accoustic Bass.

Not having to lug an amp around for an acoustic jam session?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I got a beautiful acoustic bass last year and I have to say I'm quite happy with it. it's a Michael Kelly custom. as said above, AC/DC doesn't really use acoustic bass. But I use mine for various alternative bands that my band covers. It's also helpful when you know your drummer won't be there and if you want to just jam with your guitarist/or singer. It was definitely worth it for me, but you should try it out.
Quote by gm jack

Without an amplifier how are you going to be heard at a jam session on an acooustic Bass, I've tried them out and when used with more than one accoustic guitar they are lost

The only decent sounding accoustic bass is the upright Bass/Bass Fiddle which is a much bigger problem all round regarding transporting.

The so called accoustic Basses just sound like accoustic guitars de-tuned; yes they play the notes but they have no depth of tone whatsoever.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by gm jack

You could get a new Roland bass micro cube fo that, though. It's a small, lightweigt, battery powered amp.
It's a bit heavier than an acoustic bass, but at least you can be sure that you'll be heard
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Quote by John Swift
Without an amplifier how are you going to be heard at a jam session on an acooustic Bass, I've tried them out and when used with more than one accoustic guitar they are lost

The only decent sounding accoustic bass is the upright Bass/Bass Fiddle which is a much bigger problem all round regarding transporting.

The so called accoustic Basses just sound like accoustic guitars de-tuned; yes they play the notes but they have no depth of tone whatsoever.

Apparently the Thunderchief doesn't suffer from this. However, I was clutching at straws, and I agree they are mostly useless.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I own a Samick/Greg Bennett AB-2, and honestly it sounds really good. It sounds as much like a detuned acoustic as a J bass sounds like a detuned strat. Unplugged, it's definitely good for practise and useless in an acoustic jam, but plugged in with a feedback blocker it sounds really nice. It sounds different, of course, but I like it. It sounds wierd with overdrive, btw...don't do that.

edit: this is what I have
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Apr 19, 2008,
Picks on an ABG are ESSENTIAL. On my OB3CE (3rd best ABG on the market, best for the price) has HALF the volume played with fingers.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i played a ibanez ABG the other day.
it was really great IMO, i think it was the same as in your link but wit natural color
it was k for the price but i played it with a pick
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
that one looks so awesome

acoustic basses are one thing i hope to get in the futre

:stickpoke

teehee