You could be a little more specific in your OP lol

But yeah its fine, I have a plain sawn body blank and it has been fine, and is certainly the best way to go with things like ash because it really brings out the grain pattern.

Its with necks you have to worry about getting it quarter sawn, because they are delicate and arnt allowed to warp.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I've used flat sawn neck blanks before and they're ok. Fender use flat sawn for all their necks I think so it cant be that bad. I do prefer quarter sawn as its a bit more stable and sounds a bit better because its more rigid.
would a laminate of say 3 pieces of flat sawn work better for a neck ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Last edited by admbwr at Apr 18, 2008,
Laminates are generally stronger than one piece of wood. The neck on one of my guitars is a 5 piece mahogany laminate.
Yeah, plus with laminates you get wicked stripe patterns. They look better and they're stronger... no downside.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
laminate necks are awesome. my next build I wanna do a laminate . only problem is finding the dark woods
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
^ i love the tutorials on projectguitar. those were what got me started building in the first place .

I just called a local supplier by my house and they have wenge, purple heart, bloodwood, african AND honduras mahogany, rock maple, figured maple and lacewood... i've never seen lace until i googled it... it's a really nice looking wood

i think i'm gonna take a ride there soon and see what they have to offer

here's an example of lacewood

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Yeah man lacewood is awesome. You are SO lucky that you have a local supplier... I live in manitoba, canada and the only forest around here is scraggly poplars...
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
yea i didnt know. ive been getting my wood off of ebay. i called a lumber company close by and got referred to a lumber yard that deals with mostly exotics. all kiln dried to about 7% and he said he can get any wood i want. that lacewood looks really neat... i may make a guitar out of it just to be different

i'm thinking of doing a maple, wenge, purpleheart, walnut laminate neck thru king v with quilt maple V wings but visible neck lines... or maybe lacewood wings? or maybe maple, wenge, bloodwood? something nifty

first I gotta get this one done though with less blood spill LoL!

the first neck i made was poplar... non functional but it was just a learning experience so i didnt screw up a good piece of mahogany

Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Apr 21, 2008,
lol nice yeah. Well, poplar is a hard wood... wouldn't it work?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
hmmm... good question. if that's the case I can get .75" x 3 1/2" x 24" poplar pieces for 2 dollars LoL