exactly what do you do?

if i am playing a basic C major chord progression then if i want to play over the chord changes do i do this?

C major - C major scale
D minor - D dorian
E minor - e phrygian
and so on...

or do i change the key?

please explain in easy to understand terms.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

you can do that, you have your modes right, but you do understand that all those modes in the key of c major have the same notes, so you dont need to switch modes because your switching to a different chord, if you play in any of those modes you will be in the right key. hope that helps
a very very easy way to learn this basic skill is to stay in the same mode (or c major scale) as long as it doesn't change, and just change the arpeggio shapes of notes to emphasise, so in this case you can play a c major scale over all chords but on the second chord for example you start working from the D, F, A and C notes, so in c major context the 9, 4, 6 and 1 notes. so basically you're doing the same thing but you don't shift into your new scale positions, so save a lot of trouble

that part's quite easy, but now you're gonna wnat to play better//different sounding scales over your chords, so play C lydian over your C major chord, but when the change to D minor comes, you take the new F# back to F and you can go melodic minor, so C becomes C#, something you'd better not do over the first chord.. the same way you can play E dorian over your E chord..

now you'll start noticing over for example the D minor chord you can take the 5th as a start and get A natural minor, and you can switch this to dorian aswell, thus keeping a dorian feel. you can do the same over the E chord with E dorian and over the C chord with G dorian and the C major chord with A dorian..

so yes basically you were right, but you just don't want to keep starting a new lick on every new scale, but see it all as one

and have a look at where the mode changes woth the chords, it's a bit trickier, but with this as a basic it becomes quite comprehensible
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
Forget modes, they don't apply here.

If you're playing over a C major progression then just use the C major scale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
U mean ure gonna play Dm scale(D E F G A Bb C D) over a C major chord progression?? I dont think it works this way.
Yeah it works the ionian, dorian, phrygian way i guess. Bb would sound completely off. But i aint that expert in theory. I'm just 15 years old. How much do you expect me to know hehe.
Quote by sbikram
U mean ure gonna play Dm scale(D E F G A Bb C D) over a C major chord progression?? I dont think it works this way.
Yeah it works the ionian, dorian, phrygian way i guess. Bb would sound completely off. But i aint that expert in theory. I'm just 15 years old. How much do you expect me to know hehe.

So why are you answering the question?
ok so basically i shouldn't use the natural minor? and i can also just use the C major scale and add notes from arpeggio's of the chord that is playing? i wanna make sure i understand all of this.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by aradine
ok so basically i shouldn't use the natural minor? and i can also just use the C major scale and add notes from arpeggio's of the chord that is playing? i wanna make sure i understand all of this.

If your progression is in C major that means everything's going to resolve to C, therefore if you play the notes of the C major scale you'll be playing in C major.

However, it is common to play in the minor key over major chords in guitar music so by all means try C minor and see how it fits - a lot of it depends on which chords from C major you're using.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com