I've looked all over this website and i cant find anything on class A and class AB. I don't understand the difference between the two.
Have you read this?

Quote by Mike Soldano
Class A and Class A/B
Class A and Class A/B describe how the power tubes work within the power section. To properly explain the technical differences between these classes of operation would be an entire article in itself. However, the characteristic differences can be summarized as follows:

Class A/B amps tend to have greater dynamics, sounding punchier, tighter, and cleaner, and have cooler running tubes. The Class A amp sounds more vintage and squishy, because it's compressing and distorting more. Tubes in a Class A amp tend to run hotter as well. For the same given tube compliment, Class A/B will produce two to three times as much power as Class A. An example would be an amplifier with two 6L6s in the power section. Operating in Class A, the maximum power we could expect would be around 20 watts, while operating in Class A/B would easily yield 50 watts.

Just for tube life alone, I believe Class A/B is the way to design any amp. The amp will run more efficiently with more power, and you'll enjoy not having to replace power tubes as often. If the tonal characteristics of a Class A are desired, an A/B amp can be carefully designed to do that (the Soldano Atomic and Astroverb are good examples of such a design).
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Nice, i looked on here but didnt put the backslash between the A/B. Thanks for the reference.
This poises a new question, how do we know if an amp is class A or A/b when we are trying them out? Does anyone know for sure a few examples of each?
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Now, don't say I didn't warn you. You did ask...

Now, navigate to www.aikenamps.com. Click on his tech info section. Select Advance (aiken). Now, scroll down to the article titled "The last word on class A". More info than you can ever want. The words of wisdom are at the bottom of the page.

If you can digest all of that, you shouldn't be on this site.
I guess most modern amps are A/B.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Ventor
I guess most modern amps are A/B.

Well, most modern push-pull amps are class A/B. Any single ended amps really have to be class A. The epiphone valve junior springs to mind.
It shouldn't make a hells difference to you, unless you're into amp building or just normal tech faggotry.

As far as playing goes, you'll never really care or notice.
Quote by zwound
It shouldn't make a hells difference to you, unless you're into amp building or just normal tech faggotry.

As far as playing goes, you'll never really care or notice.

There IS a difference in tone, that's the point.

Class A/B amps tend to have greater dynamics, sounding punchier, tighter, and cleaner, and have cooler running tubes. The Class A amp sounds more vintage and squishy, because it's compressing and distorting more.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
k, i got a little of that...........A is bad....A/B is good...... that's about all I got.... I'm retarded :p

edit: this is after reading the posted link that is
Last edited by ValoRhoads at Apr 18, 2008,
Quote by ValoRhoads
k, i got a little of that...........A is bad....A/B is good...... that's about all I got.... I'm retarded :p

edit: this is after reading the posted link that is

Nothing is good or bad. It's all preference. I myself prefer A.
Oh and he shouldn't really care if an amp is A, A/B or B. if he goes to a store and tries amps and likes one, he really shouldn't care about it's class.

As long as it sounds good, why should you care?
Quote by zwound
Oh and he shouldn't really care if an amp is A, A/B or B. if he goes to a store and tries amps and likes one, he really shouldn't care about it's class.

As long as it sounds good, why should you care?

Cause I want my sound to be tight, not "squishy". Therefore in my case A is bad A/B is good!
Quote by Ventor
There IS a difference in tone, that's the point.

Except that like the quote from Mike Soldano said, you can make a Class A/B amp sound like a Class A amp. It doesn't really matter since the same effect can be achieved otherwise. It's really up to individual amps rather than the class.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Technically a Class A amp basically is running the power tube(s) at full tilt all the time whereas a Class AB amp is running pairs of tubes where each tube in the pair is operating for slightly more than half of the sound wave.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Here's one for you. Class A usually are 15 watts or less. Almost all higher wattage amps are A/B.
Well there's no real big tone difference between the two, or if there is, there are WAY more things that will affect the tone more.

Bottom line: Don't judge an amp depending on class.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I think the biggest noticeable difference is headroom. An A will break up much sooner than an AB. Also I think A's are a little more touch sensitive. But I totally agree with Gabel. BTW the Gabel your 18W sounds killer.
Oh thanks man!

But basically the thing is that while you get more headroom with a Class A/B amp, it isn't way too important. My 18W is Class A/B and breaks up very quickly for an example...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
http://mesaboogie.com/catalog/Acrobats-AUG07/LSSpecial-p34-35.pdf

Both these circuits run Pure Class A in a Push-Pull configuration. But what really makes this Lone Star Special is its ability to switch down to five watts of single-ended
power bliss, patent pending.

In Push-Pull circuits, the second harmonic is cancelled out when the two halves of the wave-form are recombined in the output transformer.
Unlike Push-Pull, Single-Ended circuits preserve this most musical of all harmonics. A subtle coating of warm distortion (an octave above the note you’re playing) glazes the entire spectrum with a purring, golden halo of precious nuance. Perfect for individual
playing or recording.

Can someone explain this? True or just advertising