does it do anything to the tone? i know that it does with humbuckers but they are usually metal covers and p90s are usually plastic
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
P90's aren't usually covered...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It would be the same as taking the cover off strat-style single coil, i.e. would expose the inner parts of the PU and have no beneficial effects whatsoever. The only reason for taking the metal chrome/nickel covers off humbuckers is because it "dirties" up the sound as it drives a valve amp harder. But this is only because the metal covers affected the magnetic field when they were on, whereas plastic dosn't do anything apart from protect the coils from corrosion by sweat etc.
thats what i thought but i saw the guitarist for tom petty had the covers off of his p90s on his les paul so i figured maybe it made the tone a little brighter.
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
Don't do it. They protect the pickups and have no effect at the sound. If they were humbucker with metal cover it would be different.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by steven seagull
P90's aren't usually covered...

I... do believe they are. Like a Strat single coil. I think the LP BFG has them uncovered. It looks rather gritty.
The plastic "covers" on p90s dont just pop off like a strat does. Other than looks would have no real effect.