See I love my Strat but i find it maybe a little 'vintage' for my taste, it feels great to play but im looking for something with a lower action and a faster neck generally, plus I'd want something with more oomph than single coils.

Now I know what ur thinking, there are superstrats everywhere ang google is my friend etc but I dont want one with a trem bride, especially not a floyd rose so whats good for around £500??

Oh yeah and I'm not really a metalhead but i love my searing leads and want a guitar for shredding.

EDIT: Oh great just found exactly what I want but its 900 quid, but yes this is an ideal comparison point.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ibanez-rga-321f/66924
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Last edited by PendulousThread at Apr 18, 2008,
I think you should look in the direction of Ibanez or Dean. Ibanez is well known for thin necks, low action, and just good guitars in genera. Dean has a slightly thicker neck, but is more comfortable IMO, and they're really good for shred. I would say either Ibanez RG or Dean Vendetta
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
ummm, well theres the Ibanez Rg fixed bridge series, although they generally are towards the lower end

but id look into some good LTDs, a fair few of them have fixed bridges

but yeah its a little bit of a problem because most super-strats tend to have double locking trems
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by chimpinatux
ummm, well theres the Ibanez Rg fixed bridge series, although they generally are towards the lower end

but id look into some good LTDs, a fair few of them have fixed bridges

but yeah its a little bit of a problem because most super-strats tend to have double locking trems

Exactly my issue....
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
heres a good looking ibanez
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGA121-Electric-Guitar?sku=512220

And the Dean Vendetta 1.0
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Vendetta-1-Electric-Guitar?sku=512914

just a couple ideas for you

EDIT: the jacksons look good too
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
It's hard to get lower action on a Strat because the fingerboard radius is very small. (Vintage = 7.5" & Modern = 9") String bending would fret out if low action was used. Gibson uses a 12" radius and I think Ibanez is 10" which is very common. So generally speaking, the larger the fingerboard radius the lower the possible action. Shorter scale (24-3/4") lengths may help with speed as string tension is greater on the larger scale (25-1/2").
£500 is approx $1000.00 USD so for new your looking at ESPs LTD line, Ibanez's lower line, Korean PRS, Mexican Fenders, Peavey, Epiphones (maybe an Elitist), Yamaha but not sure about others (Schecter, Charvel, Jackson etc)
In order to help you pick you should try to consider what you want from a guitar (not music styles so much but construction)
What scale do you feel most comfortable playing? (24-3/4, 25 or 25-1/2)
What is your favorite fingerboard? (ebony, rosewood or maple)
What is your prefered neck profile? (round, wide/flat, narrow etc)
Do you prefer set-neck or bolt-on?
What kind of pickups do you want? (soapbar, humbucker, single coil or combination)
Do you want a fixed bridge or tremolo?
If you go tremolo do you want locking hardware or standard HW?
What body shape and finishes do you like best ?(strat or gibson - two most commonly copied forms)
What other appointments do you like (dot, block or figured inlays, bindings on neck//body, see-thru finishes or solid colours)
Use these questions to help narrow down your ideal guitar and go from there!
I wouldnt go with the fat strat cus of the playability issues I mentioned.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by KenG
It's hard to get lower action on a Strat because the fingerboard radius is very small. (Vintage = 7.5" & Modern = 9") String bending would fret out if low action was used. Gibson uses a 12" radius and I think Ibanez is 10" which is very common. So generally speaking, the larger the fingerboard radius the lower the possible action. Shorter scale (24-3/4") lengths may help with speed as string tension is greater on the larger scale (25-1/2").
£500 is approx $1000.00 USD so for new your looking at ESPs LTD line, Ibanez's lower line, Korean PRS, Mexican Fenders, Peavey, Epiphones (maybe an Elitist), Yamaha but not sure about others (Schecter, Charvel, Jackson etc)
In order to help you pick you should try to consider what you want from a guitar (not music styles so much but construction)
What scale do you feel most comfortable playing? (24-3/4, 25 or 25-1/2)
What is your favorite fingerboard? (ebony, rosewood or maple)
What is your prefered neck profile? (round, wide/flat, narrow etc)
Do you prefer set-neck or bolt-on?
What kind of pickups do you want? (soapbar, humbucker, single coil or combination)
Do you want a fixed bridge or tremolo?
If you go tremolo do you want locking hardware or standard HW?
What body shape and finishes do you like best ?(strat or gibson - two most commonly copied forms)
What other appointments do you like (dot, block or figured inlays, bindings on neck//body, see-thru finishes or solid colours)
Use these questions to help narrow down your ideal guitar and go from there!

Yeah I answered all these questions adn arrived at a £900 ibanez prestige model, meh screw it im just gonna save like a biatch thank you all.

EDIT: Bollocks I double posted, my bad.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Last edited by PendulousThread at Apr 18, 2008,
I used your link and can see why they want £900 for it! Very nice, that guitar would last a lifetime!
Quote by KenG
I used your link and can see why they want £900 for it! Very nice, that guitar would last a lifetime!

Yeah and for that guitar new 900 is probably as cheap as ud get it.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
No doubt there'll be abuse, but at least TRY a BC Rich Gunslinger Retro!

Might not be to your tastes though, but very 'shreddy' 80's style! Think they are quite cheap as well!

Ignore most of the comments about how BC Rich suck - they make fine instruments! Low end are bad, but even Ibanez that people rave about on here have some stinkers!
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
The best bang for your buck for a Super Strat is going to be a used Charvel, Jackson Professional, or a MIJ Ibanez from the early 90s. All of them can be had under $500 if you look, are made better than anything today, and fit your specs perfectly.
Quote by 666_Pounder
Wazzap with the ones i mentioned?

WEell the Ibanez was spot on to be honest I was just whipped over the finish of the more expensive one :P but yeah thanks, oh and as for the jackson I'm not keen on the headstocks is all lol but yes thank you.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by CJRocker
The best bang for your buck for a Super Strat is going to be a used Charvel, Jackson Professional, or a MIJ Ibanez from the early 90s. All of them can be had under $500 if you look, are made better than anything today, and fit your specs perfectly.

Hmm yeah MIJ is often win and as for charvels ill perhaps ask baz he seems to know his stuff on them. thank you
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
actually yeah those washburns are fair tasty, well cheers guys theres a nice selection for me to go through!
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical