Page 1 of 2
Alright, heres, how I see the difficulty in these different techniques. 1 is the hardest. 10 is the easiest.

1. Sweeping.
2. Sweep tapping.
3. Tapping.
4. Two handed tapping.
5. Alternate picking.
6. tremelo picking.
7. playing while standing up.
8. legato.
9. All downstrokes.
10. Slides.

Tell me what you think.

Remember some techinques that I find easy may be hard for you
Alternative picking
tapping
legato
sweeping
bends
pinch and natural harmonics done in various ways.

Hardest first. For me of course
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by Crazymike100
tremelo picking.
:

whats that ?

(yeah im new but i have to ask. otherwise i wouldent get answer wouldent I? )
Playing while standing up is only difficult if you only practice while sitting down.

What about some advanced harmonic stuff? Like some of the jazz guys do... I think that's pretty difficult. Requires such sensitive touch.
Quote by Crazymike100
Alright, heres, how I see the difficulty in these different techniques. 1 is the hardest. 10 is the easiest.

1. Sweeping.
2. Sweep tapping.
3. Tapping.
4. Two handed tapping.
5. Alternate picking.
6. tremelo picking.
8. legato.
9. All downstrokes.
10. Slides.

Tell me what you think.

I think that is horrible, how is sweep tapping easier then sweeping? Tapping and two handed tapping are way easier then alternate picking (at high speeds anyway) for me. And playing standing up should be so easy. Legato can be sliding too
Sweep tapping is easier for me, because I learned tapping first. And two handed tapping is easier than one handed tapping... one word...Thunderstruck.

(+1 for anyone who gets that)
Quote by Crazymike100

1. Sweeping.
2. Sweep tapping. Sweep tapping can't be harder than sweeping as you must sweep to sweep tap.
3. Tapping. There's no difference between tapping and two handed tapping.
4. Two handed tapping.
5. Alternate picking.
6. tremelo picking. This requires almost no skill/control and should be moved down.
7. playing while standing up. This is not really a technique.
8. legato. Good legato is harder than tremolo picking.
9. All downstrokes.
10. Slides.

Tell me what you think.

Notes:

You are missing things such as economy picking, string skipping, etc.
Down strokes verses alternate picking can be easier or harder depending on the lick played. There's too much variation in between passages to rate the difficulty of different techniques imo.
I was thinking sweep tapping like, only tapping the arpeggio, instead of just tapping on the highest string. But seriously the hardest technique is 8 finger tapping.
Quote by Crazymike100
I was thinking sweep tapping like, only tapping the arpeggio, instead of just tapping on the highest string. But seriously the hardest technique is 8 finger tapping.

Generally when people refer to sweep tapping they mean sweeping an arpeggio, and then tapping more notes at the top of it, which is obviously more complex than just sweeping.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Thanks, man, I noticed that after I did a little more research. he he he.

G4 SUCKS!!!!! you are a genius.
I don't think sliding can be legato...

Legato means "smoothly" in Italian. So yes.
Call me Batman.
Quote by J.A.M
Legato means "smoothly" in Italian. So yes.

Latin*

I'll leave
Quote by Avedas
Latin*

I'll leave

In musical notation the Italian word legato (literally meaning "tied together") indicates that musical notes are played smoothly.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
In musical notation the Italian word legato (literally meaning "tied together") indicates that musical notes are played smoothly.

My bad.
Yeah you tap the first part of thunderstruck, then the second part, and most of the rest is powerchords.
Angus Young recorded Thunderstruck with all picking. The pick noise is very audible. He only taps it in the video and occasionally live.
Quote by dudetheman

I've only seen the video, but I pick it on acoustic. It's just easier to tap it on the electric.
Quote by ouchies
I think that is horrible, how is sweep tapping easier then sweeping? Tapping and two handed tapping are way easier then alternate picking (at high speeds anyway) for me. And playing standing up should be so easy. Legato can be sliding too

Standing up is easy if u play standing up at ur bands practice. If you drink beer and play sitting on your ass all night like me it can definatly take ur skills down a notch. Ive gotta work on standing up still I can do it but not without loosing some of my cleaness.
i think tremoloing is one of the hardest things to do clean. and all downstrokes would be NOTHING against all upstrokes,

i'll be good.......

Current Rig:
Ltd EC1000 deluxe
Ltd FX260
Peavey Valveking 112
Shure Super 55
Shure Pg 58
Behringer Kx1200
tbh...

sweeping is hardest and the easiest to me depending on the shape, i mean A minor arpeggio sweeped is easy - even in 2 1/2 octaves - but i find it hard to do a second inversion A minor arpeggio on 3 strings.

8 finger tapping is hard if at high speeds or doing weird shapes but other than that....meh

legato is hard as hell to make it sound smooth on the bridge pickup of an EXTREME!!-ly low output strat as the notes are sharp and aern't picked up unless there is a lot of pressure on hitting the string, making the tone even less smooth. using the neck pickup helps and lowering treble does too, but relying on the neck pickup isn't a good habbit as far as im concerned.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
1. Sweeping.
2. Sweep tapping.
3. Tapping.
4. Two handed tapping.
5. Alternate picking.
6. tremelo picking.
8. legato.
9. All downstrokes.
10. Slides.

1. Sweeping is easy to me. sweeping fast, thats another thing.
2. ??? what is this?
3. far too easy. one of the first things I learned.
4. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ they are the same in my mind.
5. this took me a while.
6. ?
7. (its a skill?) Yes! it is! its the fisrt step to a good stage performance!
8. ?
9. all I could do when I started...
10. hint for wisdom: If you can't do this, you might be a begginning guitarist for a log time. this was THE FIRST THING my non-guitarist friends do when the pick up my guitar.
I dont see how you guys think playing satnding up is harder than legato, it isn't that hard!
You just need to practice that way.
I know i just need to practace that way but its so much easier to just sit down in my comfortably chair drinking and playing. If im ever in a band ill roll onto the stage in my leather armless computer chair with a rolly cooler of beer on the side of me.

no im joking i am gonna start practicing standing for at least 30 min a day i need to fix that ****.
If your posture and strap length are optimal, then there should be pretty much no learning curve when it comes to standing.
Quote by dudetheman

Page 1 of 2