So I just got a new guitar and my next purchase will be a new amp. I do not need something big as I am nowhere near gigging....I was thinking the Blackheart little giant:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH5112-5W-1x12-Little-Giant-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=481675

Any thoughts on these? I would like to get some input before I go looking for one to try out because its a long drive to guitar center

also any other good amps in that general price in the 300- 400 range?

i play a mix of classic rock (zeppelin, gnr, skynyrd) and metal (metallica, etc.) and some metalcore
Quote by masterk1818
I tell him to stop but he doesn't listen.

He just keeps thrusting

^Talking about his dog

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

^if you don't get it, search for Duel of the Farts
That amp would easily cover the classic rock side of things but you may need an overdrive or tubescreamer of some kind to get into real metal gain territory.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
ok, i have an rp350, so i was hoping to use that with it
Quote by masterk1818

He just keeps thrusting

^Talking about his dog

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

Quote by wlcm2themachine
ok, i have an rp350, so i was hoping to use that with it

Depends what you were going to use the RP350 for; if you were going to use it for effects like flanger, chorus and that kind of thing then fine but if you were thinking of using it for distortion and things like that then don't bother with the blackheart; the whole point of tube amos is that the basic tone is much better than that of most SS amps so if you buy a tube amp and then use a multi-FX pedal like that you're kind of missing the point a bit.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
so even setting the rp350 to use the blackheart instead of an amp model and then use one of the built in distortion pedals would not work?
Quote by masterk1818

He just keeps thrusting

^Talking about his dog

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

Quote by wlcm2themachine
so even setting the rp350 to use the blackheart instead of an amp model and then use one of the built in distortion pedals would not work?

In terms of tone you're probably better off taking the RP350 out of the signal chain unless you want effects such as chorus etc...

Using the RP350 for distortion does just defy the point of having a decent tube amp but having a good overdrive such as the Maxon OD808 can be used as a clean boost so you get more gain and therefore a more 'metal' tone out of an amp that would otherwise but unsuited for the purpose. Now;not knowing anything about the RP350 I would assume it doesn't have a clean boost function and even if it does it's probably nowhere near as good as most if not all the overdrive pedals you can but seperately.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Guitarwoody7
i would try line6 if i were u

He means try a Flextone.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Ok, so here comes kind of a n00b question, but can i just run my rp350 through a cabinet or speaker, or do i need to have a combo amp, etc.
Quote by masterk1818

He just keeps thrusting

^Talking about his dog

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

Quote by wlcm2themachine
Ok, so here comes kind of a n00b question, but can i just run my rp350 through a cabinet or speaker, or do i need to have a combo amp, etc.

It's a nice idea but no, you would need a power amp to actually amplify the sound; the RP350 only acts as a pre-amp to shape the tone of the signal.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
So, just to be clear, there is a way to bypass the amp modelling on the rp350, can i not do this and just use the distortions? I do not understand how this would be different from just using a pedal....I mean all i would be using on the rp350 is the distortion, so there would be no modeling, no other effects...what do you think?
Quote by masterk1818

He just keeps thrusting

^Talking about his dog

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

Quote by wlcm2themachine
So, just to be clear, there is a way to bypass the amp modelling on the rp350, can i not do this and just use the distortions? I do not understand how this would be different from just using a pedal....I mean all i would be using on the rp350 is the distortion, so there would be no modeling, no other effects...what do you think?

The distortion on the RP350 is modelling and using an overdrive pedal in front of the amp instead would not change the tone of the amp it would just boost your signal going in so you get more distortion out of the amp; tonnes of professional players do it.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.