Poll: How are you open minded?
Poll Options
View poll results: How are you open minded?
Music changes my mood so I listen to all kinds
25 32%
I'm open minded to have more knowledge
27 35%
I'm open minded becuase I enjoy the advantages
13 17%
I'm not really openminded
7 9%
Metaldud536 you kick ass!
5 6%
Voters: 77.
I find that music can easily change my mood with a couple of tries. For exampe I could be listening to some old school thrash like Testament..then suddenly put on Micheal Jackson-Human nature and BAM! I'm calm. Not really into Micheal Jackson though.

So therefore, I can enjoy many styles of music.

So tell me about your open mindness

- Music changes my mood so I listen to all kinds of music to adjust
- I'm open minded simply to know more about music
-I'm open minded knowing I have an advantage over people because I enjoy more genres than they do
-I'm not really open minded, I listen to mainly to so and so

Edit: Ok every option means you enjoy the music, but which one suits you the best ?
Last edited by metaldud536 at Apr 18, 2008,
Personally I don't care about any of that hippie crap and just listen to what I think is good, whether it's 30's jazz, hip-hop, metal or the soothing screams of a 16-year-old girl telling me to stop stalking her or she'll call the police.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Personally I don't care about any of that hippie crap and just listen to what I think is good, whether it's 30's jazz, hip-hop, metal or the soothing screams of a 16-year-old girl telling me to stop stalking her or she'll call the police.

Yes! Your the first post..though that last bit was kinda weird yet hilarious.
I hoard music- all kinds I guess. I'll move from scene to scene, but drag the old scenes along with me. I never discard music and say "I don't like it anymore". So I guess I'm open-minded?
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
im open minded about music to a point
i will try out stuf like jazz and other genres
but if someone gives me the latest pop punk or so called "indie" band to listen to i probly wont bother, i know a lot of it is really not my style anyway
I am open minded about music, but I don't feel any of your options is right for me. I just like different styles because I just, uhm, enjoy them?

So I voted that you kick ass (cause you do ).
Quote by metaldud536
Care to explain?

Music, although being rather diverse, has a stupid amount of crossover. Liking classical and metal isn't that open minded, because a lot of metal has classical roots. Liking metal and rap isn't that open minded, because a lot of the lyrical content involves prejudice and anger.

Etc etc etc.

Open mindedness is more than just being able to listen to stuff that you perceive to be so far removed from each other.
I'm into a few different genres, for example, thrash metal, speed metal, heavy metal, groove metal, hard rock, glam metal, power metal, NWOBHM, etc.

So you'd probably call me close-minded.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Open mindedness is more than just being able to listen to stuff that you perceive to be so far removed from each other.

No offense, but isn't this obvious?
Depends on the topic.
I enjoy Classical music, 70's disco, 70's pop, classic rock, hard rock, heavy metal, jazz, stuff like Frank Sinatra, old Jewish music, and gregorian music...
But I hate hip hop and most of the past 90's stuff.
So I'm quite open minded in some styles, but very close minded in other styles.

On other topics like politics and different ethnicities, I'm quite open minded and try to be neutral in stuff that I don't know about.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Apr 18, 2008,
Quote by TheQuailman
No offense, but isn't this obvious?

Not obvious enough to some people, I'd guess.
i think music has less to do with openmindedness and more to do with being embarassed about what you like. most people nowadays wouldn't admit to liking nsync, but i like them and i don't care who knows it.
Quote by Kensai

that was my sister on ur answering machine asshole!!
I was listening to some BTBAM and then all of a sudden i started listening to Weezer's new song...

then i got this idea...

Rivers would make BTBAM awesomer if he was the frontman

Anyways, im pretty openminded when it comes to music
Last edited by The Spoon at Apr 18, 2008,
Absolutely not. I'm as close-minded as they come. I only listen to badass music.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Yeah, but a lot of people think they're open minded just because they listen to Abba and Emperor.

Do you think a person who only listens to one genre of music and hates everything else is going to be more openminded in general than someone who listens to all kinds of music (not just abba and emperor)?
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Music can affect my mood, but usually, it's the other way 'round.

I choose what to listen to depending on my mood. I won't change my mood from what I'm listening to.

As for open-mindedness, I'll gladly give any type of music a try, but it's rare that I actually like it. I always end up choosing pop and rock songs. I like one electro band (Bomfunk MC's) and I don't like any hip hop whatsoever.

Before you call me a racist asshole, I'd like to clarify that I like melodic music, and because one of the main features of Hip hop is the absense of melody, there is nothing there for me to enjoy.

Does not liking certain music make you closed-minded?
Quote by aetherspear
Do you think a person who only listens to one genre of music and hates everything else is going to be more openminded in general than someone who listens to all kinds of music (not just abba and emperor)?

It's perfectly possible.
Mood? Good topic. The truth is, as a guitarist and musician, if one doesn't6 know how to set a particular mood with music (tonality), then, they aren't worth their salt. MOOD IS EVERYTHING. Tonality is the key...everything else is wannabe.
Excellence Without Limitation
To be perfectly honest I am VERY close minded when it comes to music. I listen to classic rock, hard rock, and metal and thats all.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by sashki

Before you call me a racist asshole, I'd like to clarify that I like melodic music, and because one of the main features of Hip hop is the absense of melody, there is nothing there for me to enjoy.

You clearly haven't listened to any of the right stuff.

But, the thing is, everything can't please everyone.
Last edited by Tommy[fin] at Apr 18, 2008,
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']You clearly haven't listened to any of the right stuff.
I'm sure you've guessed that you're not the first to say that.

No-one ever recommends any of the "right stuff". Ok, someone once told me about Public Enemy. But that was it.
I'm very open minded about music. I listen to all of the different kinds of music.... classic rock, blues, hard rock, alternative rock, grunge, heavy metal, prog metal, death metal, thrash metal, symphonic metal... anything with metal on the end of it, etc.

ok, I'm kidding (kinda) I listen to other kinds of music too, but not very much. I mostly do it just for the sake of new musical ideas, so I pretty much just fit under "I'm open minded simply to know more about music"
Quote by Kensai

This.

Why be constricted to a single genre or sound?

The more the better I say. If it pleases my ears, I'll listen to it naturally
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']
But, the thing is, everything can't please everyone.
Well, if it's a key feature of the music that doesn't appeal to me, It'll be hard for me to enjoy anything that has that feature.

For example, you probably won't listen to any Death Metal bands if you don't like screaming. You probably won't dig Baroque-era music if you don't like violins.

You can't force yourself to like something. And even if you could, music is a leisure activity. Why push yourself to do something you don't want to?
Last edited by sashki at Apr 18, 2008,
Quote by schecter_guy
i think music has less to do with openmindedness and more to do with being embarassed about what you like. most people nowadays wouldn't admit to liking nsync, but i like them and i don't care who knows it.

i agree(except about liking nsync)
now extra flamey
Quote by Paquijón
"An open mind is really a mark of foolishness, like an open mouth. Mouths and minds were made to shut; they were made to open only in order to shut."

- G.K. Chesterson

That makes no sense, if you think about it. What's the point of creating a mouth (an opening) if its only purpose is to remain shut?
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by sashki
I'm sure you've guessed that you're not the first to say that.

No-one ever recommends any of the "right stuff". Ok, someone once told me about Public Enemy. But that was it.

Go to the Good Rap thread, and ask there.

It's only about the biggest thread in the Other forum.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.