So...My tonation on my A string is ****ed. The sustain now is too. I JUST took it in, about 15 minutes ago, to a dude at my local Music Matters. I thought the intonation was because of the truss rod. He said the truss rod was basically perfect. Anyway, my A string is about 20 points sharp when fretted at the 12th fret. Harmonically, it's perfect, when fretted, it's ****ing terrible. He lowered my bridge pickup, cause he said, you know, it's probably that. It sounded good there. Brought it home, sounds the same. And now the sustain is ****ing terrible. What do I do?

I'm very pissed off, so if I didn't explain it well, that's why. I put graphite lube in the nut, I did ****in everything. Oh btw, where I adjust the intonation, where it moves the saddle thingys back and forth, it doesn't do **** anymore, no matter which way I turn it, it won't ****ing do anything.

Help me please, UG. I'm at the end of my sanity here.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Last edited by SchecterC-1+Man at Apr 18, 2008,
adjust the saddles back (away from the nut if its sharp) and retune. adjusting the scale length WILL make a difference. calm down.
'59 Bassman Reissue
Custom Strat
Custom McCarty
Custom OM
Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Wah
Alright. I'm better now. Well, I'd taken it to this guy at GC countless times. He doesn't really know either. That's the problem I'm having here in GA, no one knows what they're doing hahaha. But see, that's the thing, it won't move which ever way I turn it. It just won't move. Trust me, I know I'm turning it right, blah blah...It just won't move.

...Sorry about the rant/childish FP.

EDIT: Also, adjusting the saddles wouldn't affect the sustain. What would I do to fix the sustain? Fix the bridge PU again? I'm at a loss.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
when you turn the intonation screw. the saddle is supposed to move.

so if you are turning the screw and the saddle doesnt move, then, ur screw or or saddle is stripped.

new saddles are cheap. so swap them out for graphtechs if you want.

how old are the strings? old strings are hard to intonate.

and sustain cuts short when the strings dont have enought room to vibrate.
so raise ur strings and lower ur pickup a little. a pup that's too high will also shorten sustain a little.
the magnet in the pickup pulls at the string and stops it from vibrating sooner.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Whats tonation? lol

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

Quote by jj1565
when you turn the intonation screw. the saddle is supposed to move.

so if you are turning the screw and the saddle doesnt move, then, ur screw or or saddle is stripped.

new saddles are cheap. so swap them out for graphtechs if you want.

how old are the strings? old strings are hard to intonate.

and sustain cuts short when the strings dont have enought room to vibrate.
so raise ur strings and lower ur pickup a little. a pup that's too high will also shorten sustain a little.
the magnet in the pickup pulls at the string and stops it from vibrating sooner.

I just changed the strings...not more than a week and a half. That's still pretty new (to me)...The guy I took it to actually lowered the Pups, but the sustain is WORSE now, and it sounds waaaaay too bassy. I was beginning to think, it's either A) bad batch of strings, or B) Something else. If the saddle is indeed stripped (damn) I'll just get a new tonepros bridge I guess...I'd been planning on replacing all the hardware, anyways.

Thanks, by the way.
And to the plague guy...stfu, I was pissed

EDIT: He also said that my frets looked kind of flat. So, would a crown/dressing be in order? I don't really have the cash for a re-fretting job yet..
My gear:
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
How far away did he drop the pickups from the strings? Also, any chance we can get closeup picks of the pickups and the bridge?
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael
How far away did he drop the pickups from the strings? Also, any chance we can get closeup picks of the pickups and the bridge?

They were real close before, then he dropped them...'Bout half an inch maybe? Sorry, no pics My dad's camera is too technical for me, and he isn't home.
My gear:
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Half an inch?

Quote by Seymour Duncan's Website
A good starting point for the distance from the bridge pickup to the strings is 3/32 of an inch. The neck pickup can be set to provide a good output balance when compared to the bridge or to produce a particular tone when used together with the bridge. If a pickup is too close to the strings the tone tends to get muddy and lack clarity, and if placed too far away the tone will be thin and lacking in character. All pickups have a "sweet spot" where its tone will be optimal for a given guitar and pickup combination.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Gah I hate it when my tonation goes out of wack

Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Quote by shredforbread33
Gah I hate it when my tonation goes out of wack

Shut up man

Anyway, it may not really be half an inch, but it sure as hell was farther than 3/32 of an inch. Thing is, it sounded clearer when real close to the strings, and now it sounds too bassy and such. I'm mad about this, cause I've been trying for about a year now to find a tech guy who can do this crap, but no one can do it right. SO Imma do it myself from now on.

EDIT: I'm sorry, the neck pup was already massively low, the BRIDGE was real high, and he dropped that. Just to clarify.
My gear:
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus

the blue lines are all you need to adjust, to raise and lower pickups.
small turns put ur face to the pup and watch it raise and lower.

if you want more bass you raise the bass side (thicker strings), if you want more treble, raise the treble side.

if you want more bite, raise the pup, too close and it gets muddy.

as for sustain, that's also going to be dependent on your action.

and, sometimes a trip to the hardware store for a new tiny screw is all you need to get a saddle working again.

loosen off that string. and wiggle the saddle up and down, get it to work, use hand power.

lastly, i dont know why you have so many dented, flattened frets.
if they choke the note dead, or cause fretbuzz then it's about $20 per fret to polish them up again.

look for the problem frets urself. dont get the whole neck done unless you need it. that's a little silly.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011