So my band and I have started to record (for the second time now). My question being to those who have used this, or have a decent amount of knowledge about it: Would a USB interface, such to that of the Line 6 TonePort or the Behringer U-CONTROL, give me quality results?

I'm VERY limited to cash (damn this thing they call "college"), so this seemed like the best approach to getting a decent sound.

ALSO!!! And this is really the main reason for this thread: Can I use any USB interface, such as those I mentioned above, and put them into Amplitube, Ampfarm, etc.? Or does programs such as Amplitube need a specific USB driver? I couldn't seem to find the answers on Musicfriend.

*Last question(s):

- If this would be the best approach, any recommendations other than those I have listed? (Under $80, preferably)

- Does a 16 bit sample rate and a 24 bit rate really differ that much in quality? I've heard mixed reviews.

Thanks guys.
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

"Illegitimis nil carborundum"
They won't be audiophile quality but they're certainly usable. Aren't Amplitube and Ampfarm plugins? In which case any audio input should work.

24 bit does have a noticeable increase in quality to my ears - but most music ends up at 16 bit anyway so I don't often bother.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
*reported to mods to have this moved to R&R*

For $80 you can probably get a used m-audio Fast Track USB, or if you only need one input, a Toneport GX which is now $50 at MF.

Amplitube will work with any USB interface. Stay away from behringer products though, they dont do well with recording gear.

DONT get a mixer, you dont need one....(everyone thinks you do for recording...)

Once you get that pick up a cheap dynamic mic if you want some vocals and run that into the interface. I would suggest downloading and learning Reaper, its a great program at an awesome price. You can use it for free but its suggested that you buy the license after a while...
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 18, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
Stay away from behringer products though, they dont do well with recording gear.

You won't exactly get Mutt Lange sonic quality with it, no, but it is perfectly useable.

Quote by moody07747

DONT get a mixer, you dont need one....(everyone thinks you do for recording...)

Yes and no, depending on your other gear and your approach. I find mine *very* useful.

There are many advantages of going 24-bit over 16 if you can get away with it. Do it, if you can.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I find a mixer usable under only a few situations in a studio.

1) Monitoring
2) Analog recording
3) No preamps or correct inputs on interface
4) You have mics but not enough cash for an 8 input interface but need to record those 8 mics in one take for something like a drum set.

Everything else, its more cost efficient to get a larger interface like about 8 inputs and mix with the software either using the mouse or a control surface.

I never said don't buy Behringer gear, I simply said they don't do well with recording which you backed up with your statement. But yes it will work...
I tried a few Behringer products over the years and have found their mixers to be noisy but I have their KX1200 amp and like it, although I would not trust it for live use out of the studio which is where mine stays all the time.
Quote by moody07747

Everything else, its more cost efficient to get a larger interface like about 8 inputs and mix with the software either using the mouse or a control surface.

Right. So long as your interface has all the new and advanced features. I have a Delta 1010, which has plenty of I/O, but no preamps, and not much versatility in the software panel for things like monitor cue mixes, etc. I need a mixer for all that.

If I was on the market now for an interface, I'd look for something like the MOTU 828 MkIII or the new M-Audio interface with the Oxygen pres built in or something like that. The new TC Electronic one looks pretty cool too. It fits all the advanced flexibility that I need and when you consider that you'll spend about $600 on a mixer that does all that, the all-in-one units don't look quite so expensive.

The mixer I used for most of the tracks on our CD is a Behringer UB2442-FX-PRO. We've had no complaints about sound quality. Part of the trick is being able to set input levels properly and other gain-staging considerations. Can you get better pres? Of course. Are they usable nonethelss? Yes.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Thanks guys.

As for a large interface... My band and I don't necessarily need one. We have a decent mixer, and we just went straight into the computer while recording drums. I mean, yes, I would love to be able to control each mic afterwards, but we've gotten a decent sound using this approach, so we figured, why invest in something that is sooooo expensive, if we are just going to use it a hand full of times. (I know people are going to say: NOT TRUE!!!) But it really is the case with us. We're recording our handful of songs and playing one or two shows before I move... again.

I'll let you know how it turns out. Maybe even write a review, on UG, on whatever I decide on buying; possibly help a few others out if they have the same question in the future.

Thanks again.
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

"Illegitimis nil carborundum"